BANG wtf was that!

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ppre89

BANG wtf was that!

Post by ppre89 »

:( cv joint busted on the gearbox side, luckly all I need is the cv joint but its not nice to hear that go :S What really annoys me is that I dont even drive that hard to warrant this? Im really confused why it went? :-k
PW@Woodsport

Re: BANG wtf was that!

Post by PW@Woodsport »

because its a car and its made of mechanical bits that can and will fail at any given moment.
boyzdad

Post by boyzdad »

Although I am not feeling to cosy towards the mr2 mechanical reliability (see my other posts), it is posible that the CV boot is/has been split and that dirt has got into the CV joint.

Dirt in the CV joint will destroy it in no time, plus the fact that the oil in it will be lost.

If this process has already started and the CV boot replaced, it can still be too late :(

It's normally easier to tell on front wheel drive cars when the CV joint is on it's way out as it will click loudly when turning a corner.

Did you notice a knock recently when pulling away from rest?

It may be worth checking the condition of the other CV boot/joint while you are replacing the broken one.

One last thing to check, on the longer driveshaft is a balance ring, this is an important part, if it is missing or broken it will expose the CV joint to vibration.

Just a few thougts, I hope that helps.

Regards

MATT! :)
jamiesi

Post by jamiesi »

blimey my mk1 gets stick everyday for over a year now and i havnt blown a shaft yet :lol: the joint must of ran dry inside...
ppre89

Post by ppre89 »

no knocks anything, the holes for the bolts on the cv housing had broke off round the outside. I think some of the bolts may have come loose as not all the holes have marks on them?

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”