Nice MK1a Found For Sale

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SteveM

Nice MK1a Found For Sale

Post by SteveM »

Just came accross this which looks like a very tidy MK1a

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C61447
waynestoyotamr2

Re: Nice MK1a Found For Sale

Post by waynestoyotamr2 »

LOL good old Bramptons - they seem to get quite a few Mk1's - expect it to be around for a while as they dont seem to sell very quickly....... #-o :whistle: :whistle:
"If in doubt - just make the numbers up!" ;)
Sharpfish

Post by Sharpfish »

waynestoyotamr2 wrote:LOL good old Bramptons - they seem to get quite a few Mk1's - expect it to be around for a while as they dont seem to sell very quickly....... #-o :whistle: :whistle:

These are the guys that bought a mk1 for £800 or something, then a month later were selling it for over £1400 on their site. I sent them a message about it with the 'photo evidence' and since then they cover the plates with 'bramptons' - dodgy right there.

Not saying the cars are no good, it certainly seemed a good car for £800 but the markup was ridiculous (see my post about it from a few months back if interested - probably not ;) )
The TVIS Kid

Post by The TVIS Kid »

Sharpfish wrote:
waynestoyotamr2 wrote:LOL good old Bramptons - they seem to get quite a few Mk1's - expect it to be around for a while as they dont seem to sell very quickly....... #-o :whistle: :whistle:

These are the guys that bought a mk1 for £800 or something, then a month later were selling it for over £1400 on their site. I sent them a message about it with the 'photo evidence' and since then they cover the plates with 'bramptons' - dodgy right there.

Not saying the cars are no good, it certainly seemed a good car for £800 but the markup was ridiculous (see my post about it from a few months back if interested - probably not ;) )

I'm sure i saw that for sale on autotrader not long ago. You don't see many early mk1a's and it had a magnex exhaust too. I also noticed it had black underseal or replacement metal painted black behind the mudflaps at the rear. Made me think they had been repaied as we all know how much they rust there. I'm sure the one i saw had around 133K on the clock. I wonder how much this one has got as it might be the same one. I'm sure the one i saw was under a grand.
monkeymax

Post by monkeymax »

Sharpfish wrote:Not saying the cars are no good, it certainly seemed a good car for £800 but the markup was ridiculous (see my post about it from a few months back if interested - probably not ;) )

Yup - I remember the thread. Unfortunately it's just another one of those cases of buyer beware - just have to poke this one more than normal... I was surprised that the ad doesn't give the cars mileage as I'd love to know (important on a car of this age!) - I guess there's a reason behind that. If it was low mileage, they'd have said that - probably in big letters.
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

monkeymax wrote:I was surprised that the ad doesn't give the cars mileage as I'd love to know (important on a car of this age!)

It's really not. People seem to think mileage is important but on older cars it's pretty meaningless. The actual condition of a 20 year old car is far more important than how much it's been driven in those 20 years.

Low mileage could mean it's been sitting in an air conditioned garage and only taken to the local car show once a year or it could mean it's been sitting neglected in a field before being discovered and given a quick spruce up on the cheap before being sold on.

Similarly high mileage could mean it's been used and abused and on it's last legs or it could have recently been given an extensive money-no-object rebuild.
HT

Post by HT »

kaiowas wrote:
monkeymax wrote:I was surprised that the ad doesn't give the cars mileage as I'd love to know (important on a car of this age!)

It's really not. People seem to think mileage is important but on older cars it's pretty meaningless. The actual condition of a 20 year old car is far more important than how much it's been driven in those 20 years.

Low mileage could mean it's been sitting in an air conditioned garage and only taken to the local car show once a year or it could mean it's been sitting neglected in a field before being discovered and given a quick spruce up on the cheap before being sold on.

Similarly high mileage could mean it's been used and abused and on it's last legs or it could have recently been given an extensive money-no-object rebuild.

Totally agree - its often quite confusing, given all the hype and occasionally the lack of hype cars are given for sale. Sometimes individuals totally undersell a vehicle, unfortunately its usually the other way around.

Whats most concernign is what is expected condition wise, bearing mind the age mk1's are now. One simply cannot expect a lot for £800-1000, bearing in mind the cost of labour/parts repairing/restoring any motor vehicle. Similarly sellers should not expect too much if their vehicle has any faults, that require skill work or facilities beyond basic DIY abilities. Maybe we should all be careful making snap judgements from online listings.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”