[Mk2] [Turbo] is my oil ok ( 5w - 30A1 synthetic )

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

lee.w

[Mk2] [Turbo] is my oil ok ( 5w - 30A1 synthetic )

Post by lee.w »

just had an oil change , I asked for there best oil because I didn't have time to buy any and they said ( 5w - 30A1 synthetic ) will this oil be okay. as I was a bit worried when I checked it on the castrol website when I got home and it says it's only suitable for cars that can use an ACEA A1/B1 fuel efficient product :-k ](*,) :pale: or am I being dumb
Hez

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] is my oil ok ( 5w - 30A1 synthetic )

Post by Hez »

I think it will be ok but i think 5w30 is a bit on the thin side if your putting any sort of load on your car, i think a 10w40 would be better and this is generally what is recommended on this forum. I dont know much about all the API stuff but if your bored http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html here ya go :lol:
lee.w

Post by lee.w »

can I top it up with 10w -40 when the other oil ( 5w-30 ) is running low or do I have to have another oil change #-o , my car is pretty much standard and I dont boot hard that often :whistle: ( joke )
Hez

Post by Hez »

Ill bump it for more replies, the oil u got should be ok its fully synt, the mr2 manual suggests its ok but that was from the early nineties nowdays people recommend somethin with a higher rating as oil has moved forward somewhat. Its not recommended to mix oils too so id leave as is and top up with the same or change altogether.
There is a member on here called 'oilman' search for his posts and search 'oil change' you should get loads of info on what others have done.
:thumleft:
lee.w

Post by lee.w »

[quote="Hez"] the oil u got should be ok its fully syntquote]

I think he said it was just synthetic , :-k
dawolf

Post by dawolf »

I believe 5w30 is okay although it will start to break down at very high temperatures (during very hard drives when the engine is hot). However it will give slightly better protection when cold starting. I always use 10w40 as it's a good all-rounder and we don't have really cold weather in the UK.
lee.w

Post by lee.w »

my car is pretty much standard at the mo , so even after some heavy boots it's doesn't really get that hot. I'll probably use this oil for a couple of months then change it

Return to “Mechanical”