Back on the road again - Black Mk1 - Pics 56k alert

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

j0nathan

Back on the road again - Black Mk1 - Pics 56k alert

Post by j0nathan »

Hi folks. It is sooo good to be back on the road again after a 2 years on SORN. I did run an early red Mk1a for a while to slake my need for a MK1 fix but have been driving a Rover 220 SDI as my daily box for a year or so. This is was my first Mk1 and my favourite. I love the depth of the paint job - it is fantastic. I just need to buy some polishes to really bring the paintwork up.

Also, hi to all those I met at Tatton last weekend 31 May / 1st June.

Some pics:
monkeymax

Re: Back on the road again - Black Mk1 - Pics 56k alert

Post by monkeymax »

Looks fantastic Jonathan! 8)
Congrats on finally getting it on the road! Having had mine off the road for the last 8 months, I can't imagine 2 years without being able to drive a Mk1...! (The last 8 months have been bad enough!)

And Black is definitely :thumleft: ! Up there with Silver and the Mk1a Electric Blue... not quite as good as red though... ;)

Just one thing though, the camber of your front wheels looks a bit funny... It could just be the photos, mind, but it looks like they're leaning in too much...?
KIYA

Post by KIYA »

Great looking car....I would deffo have one! 8)
MartG

Post by MartG »

Looking great there :thumleft:

Having seen it in the bodyshop I know what an excellent job they've made of painting it
HT

Post by HT »

looking really great Jon - missed Tatton due to illness, hopefully see it in the metal at the next one :thumleft:
Lunarmatic

Post by Lunarmatic »

Looks good! :thumleft: I've just bought a black mk1 - it's definitely the best colour! :wink:
Mr_Spanners

Post by Mr_Spanners »

Saw the car at Tatton and the paint job is just amazing!!! So good to see a Mk1a in such pristine condition :thumleft:

Oh, I seem to recall you (Jon) mentioning a place that sells the rubber\plastic seal that runs along the sideskirt moulding... any chance you could forward the details???

~Phil.
Sharpfish

Post by Sharpfish »

Looks nice black as always.. though silver just tops it for me (I like to see the shape!)

Anyway I know how you feel (Well partly) my Supercharger Conv has been Sorned for 3 years this month YES THREE LONG YEARS. I've been driving a mitsubishi FTO V6 so it's not so bad but it's not a patch on the SC for performance or fun factor - still a v nice car to have though as a more 'normal' car.

Anyway whenever I finally get my sc back on the road in some shape or form i'm going to be a very happy and less stressed person! ;)
DevaMR2

Post by DevaMR2 »

Yeah, looks great :thumleft:

MartG wrote:
Having seen it in the bodyshop I know what an excellent job they've made of painting it

Where did you get it done? On the look out for a good bodyshop soon.
Jimbo_Jet

Post by Jimbo_Jet »

That looks top notch Jonothan!!! :thumleft: It looks a lot like mine now, just a lot more shinny than mine! :wink: Has it been laquered at all?

What a difference! Last time I saw it the rear mud flap had just come off in yours hands with a chuck of the wing still attached #-o :lol: I'll look forward to seeing it sometime soon - good job :thumleft:
j0nathan

Post by j0nathan »

Jimbo_Jet wrote:That looks top notch Jonothan!!! :thumleft: It looks a lot like mine now, just a lot more shinny than mine! :wink: Has it been laquered at all?

It has been lacquered - it has to be since it is a metallic paint. 1000 parts black to 1 part silver which is the mix specification for the original Toyota paint code
halflife

Post by halflife »

Looks the Dogs, bet you are made up, what else have you done in the 2 years it has been off the road, the interior looks in good condition as well.
j0nathan

Post by j0nathan »

halflife wrote:Looks the Dogs, bet you are made up, what else have you done in the 2 years it has been off the road, the interior looks in good condition as well.

In 2 years I have been saving saving saving for the repairs as well as sourcing replacement parts at below book price. I managed to save a little on the restoration by stripping the car myself, sourcing replacement bumper bars and reconditioning them. the hardest part to find was the rear suspension sub frames but I eventually managed to get hold of a pairt at a reasonable price.

The interior was given a good vacuuming whilst it was out but to be honest it didn't need much thuogh there are a couple of marks in the drivers seat that look like the were burn marks - I might re-upholster the seats at some point. I am going to purchase a nice set of MR2 mats and get in touch with Rhon for one of her gear gaiters cos mine is well past its sell by date. What I would like is some sort of boot protector because the carpets are in not bad condition in the boot. I would also like to track down interior covers for the tail lights to complete the upholstery. Also needed is a good quality car cover to keep the paint protected in the garage cos if the cat jumps on it one more time it's going to be kebab - the cat that is not the car!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Hi Jonathan,

We met at Tatton, apologies if i was on another planet, but recall it looking just beautiful, the paint is just so flat.

Lovely. :+:
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Jimbo_Jet

Post by Jimbo_Jet »

j0nathan wrote:It has been lacquered - it has to be since it is a metallic paint. 1000 parts black to 1 part silver which is the mix specification for the original Toyota paint code

No way, so was the original black for the M1a a black metallic??? :shock: And here's mine after a respray with just plain black. Think I may get mine lacqured tho :wink:

where did you have it sprayed? Looks like a good job! :D
Blue1984

Post by Blue1984 »

Looks really good :)
MartG

Post by MartG »

Jimbo_Jet wrote:
where did you have it sprayed? Looks like a good job! :D

It was done here http://automirage.co.uk/contact.html
j0nathan

Post by j0nathan »

Lauren wrote:Hi Jonathan,

We met at Tatton, apologies if i was on another planet, but recall it looking just beautiful, the paint is just so flat.

Lovely. :+:

Hi Lauren, cheers for the nice comments about the car here and at Tatton. I do remember you and though you may have felt you were on another planet you didn't seem it though I spent most of my time squinting through the sunny haze, trying to breathe (hayfever sufferers should stay indoors really) or trying to dodge the rain on the Sunday.
j0nathan

Post by j0nathan »

Jimbo_Jet wrote:
j0nathan wrote:It has been lacquered - it has to be since it is a metallic paint. 1000 parts black to 1 part silver which is the mix specification for the original Toyota paint code

No way, so was the original black for the M1a a black metallic??? :shock: And here's mine after a respray with just plain black. Think I may get mine lacqured tho :wink:

...it is a metallic yes. If you looked very very closely at the original paintwork, especially through a magnifying glass, then the silver flecks could be seen. Original paint definately not a flat black.

Auto Mirage have done an exceptional job on the car and not on just those parts that can be seen...
Lunarmatic

Post by Lunarmatic »

j0nathan wrote:
Jimbo_Jet wrote:

...it is a metallic yes. If you looked very very closely at the original paintwork, especially through a magnifying glass, then the silver flecks could be seen. Original paint definately not a flat black.

Auto Mirage have done an exceptional job on the car and not on just those parts that can be seen...

The MR2 book by Long has the colour referred to as Monochrome Black Metallic. The paint code is 204 I think.

My car has been resprayed in the past (I have a receipt for £2k for that! :shock: ) but it is still a metallic black. I've not seen an original factory paintjob one up close to compare how mine looks to that though. Our other car (non-MR2) is a plain black and that actually looks a more deep black, whereas my mk1 looks a slightly grey/black if that makes sense? I guess maybe that's why the colour is Monochrome Black metallic rather than just Black metallic. :-k

Mine needs a rear wing and rear bumper painting at some point. I assume Auto Mirage are in Lancashire somewhere though?

Jonathan, are you going to get all the decals etc. made up or leave it as it is? Mine doesn't have any stripes or "Toyota" on the nose but I like it as it is. I do have the side rubbing strips on mine though, they've got a gloss black stripe along the top and bottom edges, with a red stripe and a sort of metallic-y dark grey centre - are yours like this and are you planning to reattach them?

Andrew

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”