engine knock

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

phil mk1

engine knock

Post by phil mk1 »

Hi i have got this knock in my engine thought it might be cam followers or small end ,so i got an engine stethascope from my mate and we listend to the engine nothing at the bottom end nothing at the top end proded around a bit put the stethascope on the fuel banjo on the end of the fuel rail and there it was this knocking any body got any ideas what causes it to knock cheers phil.
Bazzbiggles

Re: engine knock

Post by Bazzbiggles »

Try looking at my posting "Loud tapping noise from induction system" on second page and currently 4th item from bottom. View the youtube vids to see if it sounds like yours. My problem was knocking butterfly valves - vid also on youtube.

Barrie.
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

is it a knock or more of a tick ?
phil mk1

Post by phil mk1 »

Hi its a knock not a tick.
phil mk1

Post by phil mk1 »

Hi Bazz did you sort the problem out if so what did you do & did the knocking stop? :pray: phil
phil mk1

Post by phil mk1 »

Hi guys well found the knock as bazz said t-vis butterfly valves i put the car on the ramps got the engine to running temp heard the knock put my hand on t-vis actuator could feel a knock . put my finger on butterfly joints where the two rods meet the actuator and the knocking stopped removed my finger and the knocking started again hope this helps others diagnosi their knocks now how to fix it ?. :-k
phil.
Bazzbiggles

Post by Bazzbiggles »

I tried to separate the two alloy castings by undoing the cross head screws underneath but they were seized and I rounded off the heads #-o. I then held both sets of butterfly valves closed and welded the knocking bits together. Problem solved - no knock but will have to source another T-VIS if the attached vacuum actuator fails.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”