[Mk2] [Generic] Insurance for 17 year old

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

andyj

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Insurance for 17 year old

Post by andyj »

Jaspa wrote:Andy,

Your Rev 3, It's not white in colour is it? I seem to pass one every day on the way either to or from Wallington from the A217.

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Yes it is white but not sure it's me you see. I'm mostly in another car. Sometimes in MR2 travelling on A217 down to M25 junction and on to Crawley. Rarely go Wallington way. Andy
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

I couldnt get insured on a NA when 17 so just waited till I was 21 and got a Turbo :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
flackie666

Post by flackie666 »

im 19 2 years driving but no ncb due to named driver just got my rev 1 na and im paying 2600 and tbh i would have killed my self if it was my first car
KrisMoyse

Post by KrisMoyse »

flackie666 wrote:im 19 2 years driving but no ncb due to named driver just got my rev 1 na and im paying 2600 and tbh i would have killed my self if it was my first car

Sounds like me.

3 years driving in November (so 2 years on paper as just renewed)
2 Years NCB
Got a Rev 1 N/A

I'm paying £1100 TPFT with Sky
Last edited by KrisMoyse on Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan88

Post by Dan88 »

3 years driving in November
2 Years NCB
Got a Rev 2 Turbo

I'm paying £1450 Fully Comp with Adrian flux
KrisMoyse

Post by KrisMoyse »

Dan88 wrote:20
3 years driving in November
2 Years NCB
Got a Rev 2 Turbo

I'm paying £1450 Fully Comp with Adrian flux

Damn you Dan...damn you.... ](*,)
Lou-Lou

Post by Lou-Lou »

Woah.. you three pay serious cash for insurance!

Although to be fair when I buy cars I usually go and drool over them, buy them, and then think about the insurance consequences later :lol:

£950 with 2yrs NCD on my Mk2 turbo wasn't too bad then! :lol:

But then... I am female, and we all know girls are better than boys :)
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Lou-Lou wrote:I am female, and we all know girls are better than boys :)

Only because most girls drive so slowly that they have loads of room to stop in time, the faster girly racer types are just as dangerous but probably more skilled that there counter part [digs a hole] 8-[ where as the average lad has little common sense to 25 then after that its a hit or a miss, lol

thats why guys are in more accidents, not because they are worse drivers :-k ,pmsl
Lou-Lou

Post by Lou-Lou »

mrtee wrote:
Lou-Lou wrote:I am female, and we all know girls are better than boys :)

Only because most girls drive so slowly that they have loads of room to stop in time, the faster girly racer types are just as dangerous but probably more skilled that there counter part [digs a hole] 8-[ where as the average lad has little common sense to 25 then after that its a hit or a miss, lol

thats why guys are in more accidents, not because they are worse drivers :-k ,pmsl

Nah, its cause most girls drive cars that aren't able to top speeds of 50mph..

Me and Rhiannan will teach them the error of their ways tho :)
mishadbull

Post by mishadbull »

Hrm,

I have to throw a wrench in the works here for a bit. I got my license when I was 14 years and 11 month old. Hawaii has the lowest driving age allowed in the USA with a person being allowed at 14 and 9 provided they have a single parent who is also disabled, with parental consent. My first vehicle was a ex pearl harbor Jeep with a 4.2l straight 6. Rear wheel drive, 90" wheelbase, high center of gravity, drum brakes all around, no power assist steering or brakes and a 3 speed automatic. In addition to learning to off road in the thing I learned how to drift it in the wet.

I eventually scrapped that when it became too expensive to repair ($2500 for a new set of brakes!) and bought a bronco. It was not till I was 19 that I had my first accident in a parking lot trying to maneuver a 13 passenger Ford Econoline van around some parked cars I caught the inside of the middle of the van against the back corner of a parked car #-o

So really it depends on how mature your son is. When I came to the UK I had the Devil's own time trying to get insurance because they would not count the nearly 15 years of driving experience. Ended up paying 1400 on my tubby for TPFT :roll:

When we got our B4 we payed 2500 for TPFT!

So in the interest of saving money in the long run, absolutely get a banger as the insurance in this country is wacked out. However judge your son's maturity and driving ability on him as a person, NOT an age.

Mike

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”