[Mk2] [Turbo] Recommendation wanted on Disc brakes??

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

GGilbert_MR2

[Mk2] [Turbo] Recommendation wanted on Disc brakes??

Post by GGilbert_MR2 »

What do you have and what are the best out there or something as simple from eBay like below will do the job?

Currently have Yellow Stuff break pads

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-MR2-TURBO- ... 286.c0.m14

:thumleft: :thumleft:
welshboyo

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Recommendation wanted on Disc brakes??

Post by welshboyo »

would love to know what people think of these as i was thinking of getting these myself :thumleft:
mishadbull

Post by mishadbull »

Ive been running Black Diamond grooved rotors for several years now and they work fine. However eventually I'll be going to stock disks. I am running Carbotec pads and have no heat issues whatsoever.

Drilled rotors are prone to cracking and with modern pads offer no real benefit.

Mike
GGilbert_MR2

Post by GGilbert_MR2 »

mishadbull wrote:Ive been running Black Diamond grooved rotors for several years now and they work fine. However eventually I'll be going to stock disks. I am running Carbotec pads and have no heat issues whatsoever.

Drilled rotors are prone to cracking and with modern pads offer no real benefit.

Mike

Thanks for the response.

So.. just stick to grooved discs and not grooved & drilled?
The reasn i'm thinking of upgrading is because my disks are starting to pit at the back according to the garage who have done my MOT.
mishadbull

Post by mishadbull »

For most applications standard non-grooved non-drilled rotors are more than enough for the car. I went with slotted to help brake glazing on the pads for when I do track days. This helps keep the pad material on the face of the pad 'fresh' for lack of a better term.

However, If you want to go with grooved and drilled rotors for 'bling' reasons then by all means go ahead. They are just not really going to make much of a difference in performance. Though they may shorten pad life due to a 'cheese grater' type effect. My Pagid fast road pads lasted one track day, 8 laps of the ring and about 3000 miles of normal commuting type driving.

My carbotech pads are holding up much better.

Hope this helps!

Mike

Oh, and the other reason I went with the black diamond disks is purely cosmetic, they stay black throughout their life and don't turn orange after it rains. They don't offer non-grooved or non-drilled or combo disks. One, the other, or both.
GGilbert_MR2

Post by GGilbert_MR2 »

mishadbull wrote:For most applications standard non-grooved non-drilled rotors are more than enough for the car. I went with slotted to help brake glazing on the pads for when I do track days. This helps keep the pad material on the face of the pad 'fresh' for lack of a better term.

However, If you want to go with grooved and drilled rotors for 'bling' reasons then by all means go ahead. They are just not really going to make much of a difference in performance. Though they may shorten pad life due to a 'cheese grater' type effect. My Pagid fast road pads lasted one track day, 8 laps of the ring and about 3000 miles of normal commuting type driving.

My carbotech pads are holding up much better.

Hope this helps!

Mike

Oh, and the other reason I went with the black diamond disks is purely cosmetic, they stay black throughout their life and don't turn orange after it rains. They don't offer non-grooved or non-drilled or combo disks. One, the other, or both.

My cars running in the region of 420fwhp, so need something that stops well and my standard discs are starting to pit at the back.
Any links to get some decent discs?
Sharpey

Post by Sharpey »

You cant beat Mr. T unless you want to go to disc's and bells

Return to “Modifications”