Oil filter question - anyone bought one from Mr T recently?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Lunarmatic

Oil filter question - anyone bought one from Mr T recently?

Post by Lunarmatic »

Popped into the local Toyota dealer yesterday to get some service items. I had my chassis number etc. for my mk1a so they could look up my car correctly. I got an oil filter but noticed that the side of the box said ENGINE APPLICATION A series (exc. 4A-G series). I queried this with the parts guy and he said it was the right one but he went and checked on his computer system again for me and then came back and said it was definitely correct. Apparently this filter has superceded about 4 other previous part numbers.

So, I just wanted to check to see if anyone else has used one of these filters. It would be handy to know if it's the wrong one before I start the oil change! :thumleft:

Part number I've got is: 90915-YZZJ1

On the box it says:
ENGINE APPLICATION
E series
A series (exc. 4A-G series)
S series (exc. 3S-GTE)
4K, 5K
NZ series
1ZZ, 3ZZ, 4ZZ
1SZ
Mr_Spanners

Re: Oil filter question - anyone bought one from Mr T recently?

Post by Mr_Spanners »

I've got a couple of filters here.... both are marked up 90915-YZZJ2 (for my 88' Mk1 Blue Top)

Box states 'Engine Application' 4A-G Series, 3S-GTE (exc. Celieca ST165) and 2Y, 3Y AZ Series, 2ZZ

Not sure this helps solve your problem but just shows there are other filters still available!!!
Lunarmatic

Post by Lunarmatic »

I guess this might be the short filter/long filter thing. :-k Are your filters the long ones? The one I have is about the same length as the diameter so I would say it is short.

My engine is an early one (going by the cam cover writing). I've yet to see what the filter currently on the engine looks like actually. I should take a look.
Mr_Spanners

Post by Mr_Spanners »

It's 3.5" long (stop sniggering!)
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

Hi, this is not unusual. Mr T does sell them marked this way but they are fine and are the correct one. To be honest I dont believe there is any difference. Just a part number changing or an item no longer available so another is substituted. There appear to be Very few filters for Toyotas.
Lunarmatic

Post by Lunarmatic »

crazylegs wrote:Hi, this is not unusual. Mr T does sell them marked this way but they are fine and are the correct one. To be honest I dont believe there is any difference. Just a part number changing or an item no longer available so another is substituted. There appear to be Very few filters for Toyotas.

Yes, the parts guy did say that this filter fitted about 75% of Toyota cars.

I just thought it was odd that it would specifically state it wasn't for the 4A-G engine if it can be fitted without causing a problem!
Lauren

Post by Lauren »

There are two types a long one and a short one. Really it hardly matters which one you use. As noted the 3SGTE (greatest engine in the world) shares the same filter.

We used to use the longer one on the SC and the shorter one on the NA, but I seriously doubt it makes any noticable difference.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
HT

Post by HT »

Lauren wrote:There are two types a long one and a short one. Really it hardly matters which one you use. As noted the 3SGTE (greatest engine in the world) shares the same filter.

We used to use the longer one on the SC and the shorter one on the NA, but I seriously doubt it makes any noticable difference.

I'd agree especially if you change the oil as recommended.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”