Janspeed for mk1?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

un1eash

Janspeed for mk1?

Post by un1eash »

Do they still make the janspeed stainless system for the Mk1?

Reason i ask is after 13 months i think the baffles in my backbox have gone and i cant see the system listed anywhere for the mk1 now.

I'll have to ring them in the morning to see what they have to say.
PJ3074

Re: Janspeed for mk1?

Post by PJ3074 »

In a word...No. If you look on their site its only for the SW20 and MK3.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I was looking to get one as well. But i also heard they dont do em, or they do, but on special order.

my baffles are xxxxx on my new replacement back box from mongoose, and i cant be bothered with the hassle of sending it back again and waiting for my refund! any better exhausts about which are loud?
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

If i have no luck with getting a replacement i'm going to go powerflow for a custom job. They should be able to just cut out the backbox and replace it.
crazybrightman

Post by crazybrightman »

making our own exhaust isnt a bad option just look up all the custom exhaust parts from motorsport supliers.
System-G

Post by System-G »

Didn't you get a lifetime warranty with it Chris?
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

Yes but i miss placed the warrenty card.

Not to worry though as i rang them this morning and they said i can either drive the 150 miles to them and they will check it out or if i send it to them they will check it and replace if it is damaged.

He took my name and postcode and managed to find me on there system and gave me my warrenty number so all is good.

Will be taking it off tonight and hopefully send it by DHL next day at a cost of around £25-30.
System-G

Post by System-G »

I have a standard back box & front pipe (full system manifold back) you can use in the interim if you need it :thumleft:
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

Thanks for the offer but i have my old but rusty system still in my shed. I wont be putting another exhaust on though as i dont want to go anywhere near the manifold/downpipe join.
HarveySS

Post by HarveySS »

Unless you are already hard of hearing i wouldnt want to try and find a janspeed exhaust! As you soon will be... I have one sitting around up in the lock up somewhere. They are STUPID loud! 106db mine read at castle coombe a few years back at 4500 rpm. Needless to say i wasnt allowed on track!! :(
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

you have one do you...
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

HarveySS wrote:Unless you are already hard of hearing i wouldnt want to try and find a janspeed exhaust! As you soon will be... I have one sitting around up in the lock up somewhere. They are STUPID loud! 106db mine read at castle coombe a few years back at 4500 rpm. Needless to say i wasnt allowed on track!! :(

You should here this beast

:shock: :lol: :lol:
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
PJ3074

Post by PJ3074 »

:thumleft: Tasty looking powerflow system, luv the pipes from either side.
Know what you mean on the Janspeed....but the noise is great!
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

Seems it was a false alarm, i removed the backbox to investigate and couldnt find anything. On replacing it all seems to be well now and theres no more bad sounds. Forgot how much i love the sound the janspeed makes on full throttle.

Ps.Do you really think the janspeed is that loud. I think its just right, ive had louder.
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

HarveySS wrote:Unless you are already hard of hearing i wouldnt want to try and find a janspeed exhaust! As you soon will be... I have one sitting around up in the lock up somewhere. They are STUPID loud! 106db mine read at castle coombe a few years back at 4500 rpm. Needless to say i wasnt allowed on track!! :(

Got a Janspeed on our track car, it's been tested 4 times now at Snetterton this season and has yet to read above 98dB static. Todays reading was 97 despite me failing to hold the correct speed (I was aiming for 5700 but was nearer 6k most of the time) as well as getting a bit of a pop as I lifted whilst trying to control the speed.
jamiemcarthur

Post by jamiemcarthur »

they can still make them they just dont keep them in stock. they still have the jig there to make them as needed. :th:
System-G

Post by System-G »

Chris, is it possible one of the heatshields for the boot was rubbing?
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

I think the tail pipes were hitting the rear valence, it must have been upset when i had my manifold done. Simply removing and refitting it seems to have sorted it.
HarveySS

Post by HarveySS »

kaiowas wrote:

Got a Janspeed on our track car, it's been tested 4 times now at Snetterton this season and has yet to read above 98dB static. Todays reading was 97 despite me failing to hold the correct speed (I was aiming for 5700 but was nearer 6k most of the time) as well as getting a bit of a pop as I lifted whilst trying to control the speed.

That is suprising! Mine was silly loud! I did buy mine 2nd hand so maybe it had lost some of its baffles!! Either that or the build quality is shoddy, hit and miss and maybe a big difference in all the exhausts that leave the factory!

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”