REV3 TUBBY AND AN R32???

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

Munnsy

REV3 TUBBY AND AN R32???

Post by Munnsy »

Well Anyone know the figures, anyone had a little play with one :-k :whistle:
Red Devil

Re: REV3 TUBBY AND AN R32???

Post by Red Devil »

Munnsy wrote:Well Anyone know the figures, anyone had a little play with one :-k :whistle:

No idea what the figures are but a few weeks ago I was 'making progress' and came up behind an R32 GT-R V Spec.
He took one look in his mirrors and decided to plant it!

He pulled a couple of car lengths on me which didn't surprise me tbh. However as soon as we came to the first bend the gap came down.
By the third corner he was seriously holding me up. Maybe he wasn't that good a driver?
Don't really know as I've not had many encounters. The ones I've seen have mostly been in town traffic or going in the opposite direction!
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Red Devil wrote:
Munnsy wrote:Well Anyone know the figures, anyone had a little play with one :-k :whistle:
The ones I've seen have mostly been in town traffic or going in the opposite direction!

lol, that happens to me all the time, up for some fun but always heading the wrong way #-o
Munnsy

Post by Munnsy »

sorry my bad, golf r32?? ](*,) :lol:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

255bhp, 4wd top speed of about 155mph
Would imagine 0-60 in around 6 seconds, may be late 5s'

I would imagine it would be a handful for a standard rev1 or 2 tubby but a tuned one or a rev3+ should see it off.

As a comparison, my mildly tuned tubby moved away from a Clio V6 until the CT26 ran out of puff lol.

Dont think the Clio would manage now I have boost to the redline.
dbiagioni

r32

Post by dbiagioni »

Raced a 57 plate.

Pulled away from it very very easily, was suprised how slow it was for the £.

Clio v6 are 0-60 in 5.8 (255) so are in a similar boat as the r32, people think they are faster than they are because you dont see many about! Good fun though :D

0-60 IN 6.2 I THINK.
Munnsy

Post by Munnsy »

well i had a little play with one the other night,
and i did have the edge quite comfortably, just thought they were better performance wise than the stock tubby :shock:
Very impressed with my little sports car :mrgreen:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

You have to remember that the Golf is a heavy, fairly large car with a big heavy engine, heavy 4wd system and more transmission losses.

It's power to weight and power on the tarmac will be well down on a tubby really.

The Clio V6 really only showed it's grunt at the top end. I saw a few at Santa Pod getting low 15's, not exactly ground breaking.

All I will say though is just look at the bloody things, they're as impressive a sight as any supercar IMO. Lets face it, you see less of them too!

I did see one supercharged to 390bhp once :shock:
steve b

Post by steve b »

matt_mr2t wrote:You have to remember that the Golf is a heavy, fairly large car with a big heavy engine, heavy 4wd system and more transmission losses.

Yep, fat barge 1590 kg Curb weight. So even with 255bhp only 160bhp/ton, you could have a pop with an n/a MR2 140bhp/ton.

Rev3 turbo 2 has about 30bhp/ton more, should walk it.

One once tried to accelerate past me out of a roundabout when I was in my mx5, I booted it he disappeared in the mirror. :)
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

R32's (the slightly older one, can't comment on the new ones) are really quite slow actually.

I saw one at Santa Pod a good few years back and he barely got it into the 14's :|
steve b

Post by steve b »

Slarty wrote:R32's (the slightly older one, can't comment on the new ones) are really quite slow actually.

I saw one at Santa Pod a good few years back and he barely got it into the 14's :|

yes, I remember a guy bitching on pistonheads how he'd just bought an R32 as the stealership told him it was the "best" golf, only for his mate at work with a standard gti he'd bought the week before, completely leave him for dead pulling out of his work. The standard gti after much debate on PH had the figures in its favour power to weigh wise.
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
Olly P

Post by Olly P »

I have. Tubby was comfortably faster off the line, and quicker in the mid range too due to being lighter.

Mine was putting out about 270 at the time.
Last edited by Olly P on Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rev2_mike

Post by Rev2_mike »

Very nice cars imho - having driven a mk5 r32 - probably not as a quick to 60 as most tubby's - but which would you choose? The engine sounds superb, it's got loads of mid range grunt (something that the mr2 severely lacks) and i thought it felt very planted as it sailed around corners thanks to the 4wd.
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

Rev2_mike wrote:Very nice cars imho - having driven a mk5 r32 - probably not as a quick to 60 as most tubby's - but which would you choose? The engine sounds superb, it's got loads of mid range grunt (something that the mr2 severely lacks) and i thought it felt very planted as it sailed around corners thanks to the 4wd.

Midrange grunt, mr2 lacks?!?! You feeling alright? :-s
Rev2_mike

Post by Rev2_mike »

Yep - lacks mid range grunt, depending on what you compare it to of course. Compared to an na mr2 the tubby has lots, but ive had plenty of situations where the car has been off boost or just punting down a dual carriage way etc and put my foot down and thought "damn - where's the power!?" Having driven other cars recently ive been realising it all the more - stick your foot down in an r32 at about anywhere in the rev range and it'll still pull. Incidentally i've just bought a scooby running about the same power as the '2 and its got loads more usable mid range pull, nothing like the lag - it just goes! I'm not knocking the '2 (ive had 3! 8) ) just pointing out an area that it doesnt do so well - unless you drive around at above 4k all the time!
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

Rev2_mike wrote:Yep - lacks mid range grunt, depending on what you compare it to of course. Compared to an na mr2 the tubby has lots, but ive had plenty of situations where the car has been off boost or just punting down a dual carriage way etc and put my foot down and thought "damn - where's the power!?" Having driven other cars recently ive been realising it all the more - stick your foot down in an r32 at about anywhere in the rev range and it'll still pull. Incidentally i've just bought a scooby running about the same power as the '2 and its got loads more usable mid range pull, nothing like the lag - it just goes! I'm not knocking the '2 (ive had 3! 8) ) just pointing out an area that it doesnt do so well - unless you drive around at above 4k all the time!

Fair does. You running a bigger turbo by any chance as my tubby hits full boost at 3k and i've got a ct20 on there. Infact, i've drove my dads RB320 and the boost only kicks in at around 4 to 4.5k which is far higher than the MR2 so not sure what setup you've got there :-k

Think it's a case of trick of the mind as off the line and midrange a tubby will have an r32 due to power to weight and more torque from the turbo.
steve b

Post by steve b »

Had an R32 pull up behind me at the lights today (in the n/a rev3 MR2) on a stretch of three lane dual carriageway and a bodykitted mondeo (god knows what model) on the inside, and something else on the inside of that.

Section of lights where everyone goes for it as ~350 meters after it merges into only 2 lanes.

Waiting at the lights the mondeo starts creaping forward, when they go green mondeo is dispatched easily before the end of 1st gear, I keep foot buried and pull infront of him so if the R32 can manage he could pass me. He failed and had to tuck in behind me before the merge :lol: He was certainly trying as I then pulled over to the inside lane and lifted off and he went past me and kept his foot down , he must have double the speed limit. So they really are quite crap if they can't out drag a 12 year old n/a with 1.2 litres less engine. He was gaining on me but by such a marginal amount he'd have needed a much longer road. :mrgreen:

mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

Yea but dont forget he's driving a car that's 3x more expensive than yours so it MUST be better..
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

I dont think there that fast from what i saw the other nite. One tried booting it past my dads octavia TDi from a rolling start and although he went past it wasnt what i would say fast.
steve b

Post by steve b »

mr2nut123 wrote:Yea but dont forget he's driving a car that's 3x more expensive than yours so it MUST be better..

Of course its a better car, just a bit un-impressive.

Return to “Driving Experiences”