Gas conversion

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

PW@Woodsport

Re: Gas conversion

Post by PW@Woodsport »

agreed,the whole point is to have two modes of driving,economy mode getting the equivalent of 60mpg and sports mode on petrol,ok the car weighs 50kgs more or so but its a worthwhile trade off.

Its only pointless on a sportscar if its your second car and you have a daily hack.
jasper

Post by jasper »

un1eash wrote:Its hard to find a good source of used cooking oil, veg oil new use to be 50p a litre when i tried it.

Any chippy, etc will give it to you as they pay to dispose it. But then you have the hassle of filtering it. I use new rape seed (apparently it's thinner) and get it for £1.20 for 3 litres but use it half n half with diesel.
crazybrightman

Post by crazybrightman »

jasper wrote:
un1eash wrote:Its hard to find a good source of used cooking oil, veg oil new use to be 50p a litre when i tried it.

Any chippy, etc will give it to you as they pay to dispose it. But then you have the hassle of filtering it. I use new rape seed (apparently it's thinner) and get it for £1.20 for 3 litres but use it half n half with diesel.

be careful with rapeseed its corrosive and can ruin some diesel pumps.
jasper

Post by jasper »

cheers for the heads up, been ok for the past year though.
widster

Post by widster »

HT wrote:
System-G wrote:I know the idea of it, I just don't see the point on a sports car :mrgreen:

Yeah it doesn't make sense Garrick, but in my own case the mk1 is everyday transport of preferred choice. So I kinda want to enjoy driving it as much as possible. :D Having done over 500 miles on saturday at a cost of £75+ unleaded, LPG is starting to make sense. :wink:

Was that regular unleaded or super? I've started alternating each tank to keep the costs down although it definately feels slightly less powerful running on regular but that could just be my imagination!
HT

Post by HT »

widster wrote:
HT wrote:
System-G wrote:I know the idea of it, I just don't see the point on a sports car :mrgreen:

Yeah it doesn't make sense Garrick, but in my own case the mk1 is everyday transport of preferred choice. So I kinda want to enjoy driving it as much as possible. :D Having done over 500 miles on saturday at a cost of £75+ unleaded, LPG is starting to make sense. :wink:

Was that regular unleaded or super? I've started alternating each tank to keep the costs down although it definately feels slightly less powerful running on regular but that could just be my imagination!

Regular 95 octane but non-supermarket fuel. It was driven at motorway speeds most of the way in the rain with headlights up giving it the aerodynamics of a brick. :wink:

Have looked further into having mine LPG'd yesterday and have been quoted between £1300-1400 locally in North Wales this is using a doughtnut type tank that fits in the spare wheel well up front preserving the rear boot (and poss better weight split).

It costs more using this type of tank as the usual doughnut tanks cannot be tilted where as the one quote for can be. Obviuosly its bye bye sparewheel however a spacesaver will still fit in front of the tank and as Paul stated an external filler is necessary - front wing most likely place unfortunately.
freakyeke

Post by freakyeke »

I have an LPG powered MK2 rev 2 G-Ltd which feels no different running on LPG or petrol.

Notice filling cap (square plastic cover) at bottom right of LPG tank. Next to the bonnet stay.

Easily switchable from LPG to petrol :D
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

technically they still shouldn't have mounted the filler there as thats still inside the car.When you release from filling you will get gas spilling over the edge,theres bound to be gas lying in the frunk well as its heavier than air.Obviously the risk is very minimal but talking from a pure safety point of view thats not 100% safe.

Having said that it is a neat solution,keeps the bodywork untouched,id certainly do it that way on my own car but never on a customers conversion,just too risky if anything did happen and id be liable if it did.

Id remove your frunk well rubber bungs in the floor as a precaution if they havent done so already.... nice install though :thumleft:
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

paul , ever fitted one of these to a camry 3.0? im thinking of getting my camry done, or possibly doing it myself
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

yeah i think i did a camry many years ago,they convert really easily being obd1 and the ones i buy for the engines often have LPG fitted ,loads of boot space for a tank too :thumleft:
freakyeke

Post by freakyeke »

Paul, how easy is a complete LPG system to fit? What are the component parts - LPG tank, ECU controller, inlet injector and switch?

The reason I ask these questions is that I'm thinking of removing the complete LPG system from my current rev 2 MR2 tintop and re-fitting it to a rev 3 or 4 MR2 T-Bar.

I've been looking at my system and there seems to be a pressure relief valve fitted to the air box. Any idea why it's there?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Dion.
halflife

Post by halflife »

HT wrote:
Have looked further into having mine LPG'd yesterday and have been quoted between £1300-1400 locally in North Wales this is using a doughtnut type tank that fits in the spare wheel well up front preserving the rear boot (and poss better weight split).

It costs more using this type of tank as the usual doughnut tanks cannot be tilted where as the one quote for can be. Obviuosly its bye bye sparewheel however a spacesaver will still fit in front of the tank and as Paul stated an external filler is necessary - front wing most likely place unfortunately.

Where did you go in north wales to get that quoted? I would be very interested in speaking to them.

Cheers

Rob
HT

Post by HT »

halflife wrote:
HT wrote:

Where did you go in north wales to get that quoted? I would be very interested in speaking to them.

Cheers

Rob

Strangely an exhaust place in Bangor - who were sorting out the manifold seals.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

freak,it all depends how complex the system is,the likes of a tartarini system need software,a link cable and a laptop to set them up,but the install is pretty straight forward.

For an mr2 theres no need for multipoint lpg or a complicated system at all,they will run happily with a basic single point mixer and a basic lambda control solenoid in situ.With lpg systems like this you are effectively running closed loop all the time but its accurate enough to keep things economical.
freakyeke

Post by freakyeke »

PW@Woodsport wrote:freak,it all depends how complex the system is,the likes of a tartarini system need software,a link cable and a laptop to set them up,but the install is pretty straight forward.

For an mr2 theres no need for multipoint lpg or a complicated system at all,they will run happily with a basic single point mixer and a basic lambda control solenoid in situ.With lpg systems like this you are effectively running closed loop all the time but its accurate enough to keep things economical.

Cheers, bud. Thanks for the info :thumleft:
Eternal Renegade

Post by Eternal Renegade »

Hi all, I just bought an LPG kit from Tinley Tech nr cambridge, £500; paul, in you article about fitting you used a 68mm mixer. I haven't measured the one I've been given yet but it looks a lot smaller; I was alerted by a guy T.T. put me in touch with who reckons it's nearer 32mm! Is tehere a specific size it should be or a tolerable range of sizes? Also should I used the valve lube injection system or do I not need it?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

it need to be big enough to fit onto the throttle body
Eternal Renegade

OK but is there a minimum venturi size? This guy I was speaking to had heard it should be about 75% of the standard throttle body diameter otherwise it wouldn't run properly on petrol?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

not being funny here but did you just sign up to imoc to ask me about lpg conversions?

keep the gas mixer ring the same internal diameter as the TB outside diameter otherwise on petrol it will cause a restriction.
Eternal Renegade

no, actually I've been looking into this bit by bit for a couple of years 'cos I now use the MR just for work and I'm doing between 3-400 miles/wk. I did find your article a couple of years ago and tried to contact you direct but couldn't get through; Tony Froude suggested looking here so I did. I have got other queries about the car when I get time to sort them.

No, I needed to keep cost down and wanted to do it myself. A local guy who does installations on Land Rovers suggested Tinley Tech as they do tailor made systems and then this other chap threw up the query about the venturi size. So here I am.

So anyway just to clarify, are you saying the venturi or the barrel size of the mixer should be the same as the i.d. of the throttle body please?

Kris

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”