[Mk2] [Turbo] Mineral or Synthetic?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

gtr2

[Mk2] [Turbo] Mineral or Synthetic?

Post by gtr2 »

I recently had a complete rebuild of my Rev 1 Turbo engine and I am currently running the engine in. I have done around 250 miles.

The technician who has re-built my engine has STRONGLY recommended that I run it in on Fully synthetic oil and not the thicker stuff such as mineral oil. His reasons for this is simply that the turbo reaches such high tempretures under which mineral oil will break down too easily and quickly.

I must add that currently I am running absolutely no boost! but he is adamant that regardless the turbo still reaches such high tempretures that only fully synthetic will do.

Please help :pray: :pray: :pray:
JeffD

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Mineral or Synthetic?

Post by JeffD »

Youll find on the blurb of most semi or full synthetic oils that it specificly says "suitable for turbo charged vehicles" which you wont find on a more traditional mineral based oil.
C50

Post by C50 »

i'd use semi or fully synthetic. Aren't minerals the cheap stuff you can get in tescos/ asda? :-k
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Castrol GTX is a mineral based oil and you can get cheap semi/full synthetics too - Halfords do theyre own brand of fully synth.
gtr2

Fully synthetic or Mineral

Post by gtr2 »

Normally I would only ever use fully synthetic. But currently I have a new engine which needs running in and for this the old school way is always run the car on cheap oil so to allow the rings and pistons to set and bed in. However my technician has asked me to run it on fully synthetic which I believe is too good for running a engine in :-k
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Isnt the difference in price betweem mineral and synthetic abour £20ish

Would of thought thats a small price to pay if youve just shelled out for a new engine - your choice though....
C50

Post by C50 »

it is a one off? :-k
gtr2

Post by gtr2 »

JeffD said;

Isnt the difference in price betweem mineral and synthetic abour £20ish

I think we have gone off the track here :-s

I dont have a problem with the price of either oil's! the issue is I believe to run an engine in you must use cheap mineral oil as to allow the rings to bed in but the technician is strongly suggesting I use fully sinthetic. I dont think an engine is ever gonna run in with this good a oil!

So my question is; Do I listen to him since he built my engine or do I stick with the old school ways and put in mineral oil :-k
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

gtr2 wrote:So my question is; Do I listen to him since he built my engine or do I stick with the old school ways and put in mineral oil :-k

Well you trusted him to rebuild your engine, so trust him now
EX Caribbean Blue 10th Anniversary 1996 T-bar
EX Black 1995 mk2 GT Turbo
NOW Audi TT V6 3.2 DSG 2004 Coupe
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

i alwayse thought that mineral oil is used for bedding in an engine. You shouldnt be revving it hard or for long periods of time while breaking in the engine, or hitting boost.. so therefore the engine will never really get 'Hot'

Im quite sure rogue told me to break in my new engine with mineral based oil. ill email matt to double check but im 85% sure they did.

i think the process was >mineral ,up and down revs to 4500 rpm for 400 miles > semi-synth using all the revs with very low boost for few hundred miles > full-synth and give it some beans :P
gtr2

Post by gtr2 »

Thank you guys for all your response :thumleft:

I have decided to take out the fully synthetic and replaced it with Running in Mineral oil!

Lets hope this is the right thing to do :pale: [/quote]
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

I would check your papaer work that you got from the engine rebuild as im sure that if it all goes pear shaped and you havent followed his instructions ie use the fully synth then you may not be covered by any warrantie/garuntee if you were given any.
AdDaMan

Post by AdDaMan »

i definately would be using mineral oil for the first 500 miles. then switch to semi for the next 500 then to fully syn. That is ALWAYS the way i would do it but if that is what your engine builder has reccomended then i suppose you should follow that because if it goes pop at least you can say you followed his instructions.

Return to “Mechanical”