Removing a tyre from a wheel

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Lunarmatic

Removing a tyre from a wheel

Post by Lunarmatic »

I've got a spare teardrop alloy kicking around and thought it might be useful to have a pop at refurbishing it. I'll probably just use it to get a bit of practise in (sanding down and painting) before trying anything on the wheels on my car (which are in better condition anyway so won't require as much work).

The wheel currently has a knackered old tyre on it and it will be easier to work on it with the tyre removed. I was wondering what's the best way to get the tyre off? And will I be able to dispose of it at my local tip or will they get upset? I seem to recall when you have new tyres fitted that you pay for the disposal of the old ones in the price, which suggests they have to be disposed of in some "proper" manner.
j0nathan

Re: Removing a tyre from a wheel

Post by j0nathan »

Lunarmatic wrote:And will I be able to dispose of it at my local tip or will they get upset? I seem to recall when you have new tyres fitted that you pay for the disposal of the old ones in the price, which suggests they have to be disposed of in some "proper" manner.

Noticed that you are in Brighton. You can get rid of the tyre at the Brighton tip but not the Hove one: http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/index.cfm?request=c880
fearless

Post by fearless »

i tried removing a tyre from my bike to save a few quid but tyres have a steel wire all the way round both sides, its a xxxxxx to cut through and hard to get tyre levers under pay £3 and get a pro to take it off a lot less hassle trust me and im tight :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Lunarmatic

Post by Lunarmatic »

nofearmadbiker wrote:i tried removing a tyre from my bike to save a few quid but tyres have a steel wire all the way round both sides, its a ba$tard to cut through and hard to get tyre levers under pay £3 and get a pro to take it off a lot less hassle trust me and im tight :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Yes, I was wondering if the steel belts in the tyre would make it harder to take one off/cut it up.

I'll see about getting it removed at the same times as I get some new tyres fitted to the wheels on the car.

Thanks.
fearless

Post by fearless »

i just thought cut tyre off it would be a doddle but how wrong was i, still i learnt a lesson thay say you learn the hard way but defo job for the pro's find yourself a decent tyre place i use the same guys all the time thay get to know you and do you favours, a few young lads where i go, i done the tracking on the mrs motor as i replaced both trackrod ends and droplinks checked my tracking for me and didnt charge mind you he said i got it spot on which was a result, lunch time is a good time to go amasing what people will do for a drink always good to have fivers in your pocket nice lad changed a few bulbs which i bought as mine blew bunged him a fiver he was happy i was happy, bit awkward to do with my 3 year old hanging off my arm dont like driving with brake lights out dont like to say it but money does talk in this world :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”