Turbo vs V6

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

filthy

Turbo vs V6

Post by filthy »

This isn't a debate on whether a Mk2 turbo is quicker than a Mk2 V6 but a question on whether the V6 has any advantages when oversteering?

My Rev3 Turbo has Cusco R struts (4kgmm front springs, 8 on rear) and about 280bhp on 15" R888, 1.75 deg front camber and 1.25 degree rear camber.

I did a sprint a couple of weeks ago and the handling was quite progressive in the early damp runs. Once the track dried and I was driving like a hooligan I threw it into a third gear corner, got sideways but kept on the throttle. It turned into a tank slapper and spun even though I didn't lift off the throttle.

Obviously my fault for being too agressive but I was wondering whether people who have experienced both Turbo & V6 find the V6 more user friendly when overstepping the cars limits?

Been in similar situations in Westfields and single seaters and they always came back to me. Not sure whether to blame the turbo lag or blame it on excessive roll (leading to poor camber at rear).

Any ideas?
Tomiam

Re: Turbo vs V6

Post by Tomiam »

Im not sure anyone else except me actually throws their V6 around a sprint / track. Maybe they do, but I can only recall seeing show n shine / daily drive V6's.

I've never driven a turbo, sat in one a few times but not driven. Oh wait.. I tell a lie.
I did reverse SiMarshys car (Mk2 Turbo) out of my garage and park it up for him when he was pi$$ed. Not sure if that counts or not? ;)

When I started doing track days I had the back step out and spin when Ive not lifted too. I put it down to my error completely. Recently I had the back step out massively (Barkston - Toyota Sprint Series) and I managed to execute a super drift on R888's. I put that down to a bit more driving skill than before and a fair amount of luck though if Im honest.
Essentially what Im saying is:- For me, my driving skills have a long way to go before I could say "yes, I prefer a V6 because I can catch it better than a turbo".

That aside, there is sooooo much you can do to a car in order to help make a car 'better' to drive (suspension set up, tyre brand, tyre pressure, geometry, anti roll bars, weight reduction etc...) that imo, a V6 or Turbo question almost becomes irrelevant when thinking solely about how easy it is to catch the back when it steps out.
blue2

Post by blue2 »

What clutch do you have? Ive heard that normal ones tend to wear quicker than an uprated clutch, especially on track.
Tomiam

Post by Tomiam »

Clutch is stock and puts up with me heel n toeing my gear changes for the past 7 or 8 months.
Its been down to Santa Pod two or three times too as well as a bunch of track days + toyota sprint series. Dont wanna jinx it, but Im not complaining about too much with it at the moment (reverse can be hard to get into from cold - just needs a flick of the revs and then reattempt).

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”