[Mk2] [Turbo] What are these called please?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

robbie_742003

[Mk2] [Turbo] What are these called please?

Post by robbie_742003 »

Hi all,
Apparently there is play on the arm in the pictures below, my mechanic seems to think there is a balljoint where it bolts into the crossmember?? I thought it was just a bush of sorts. Can someone confirm which it is and what the actual name of the arm please? I've been looking but cant find anywhere that supplies replacement arms and bushes.

thanks

Rob
fearless

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] What are these called please?

Post by fearless »

hmm are thay not whats called panhard rods or something like that sure someone will corect me if im wrong :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
going4the1

Post by going4the1 »

It is called a suspension arm
See:

http://www.mr2-tech.com/bgb/mechanical/ ... d_axle.htm

Page SA-79

You are correct - there isn't a ball joint. However there are reports that the captive nut within the rear subframe can shear off. This means that the bolt on the inboard end cannot tighten up. This may give the appearence that there is a worn bush.

The fix is to either buy a complet subframe or open the box-section and re-tack the nut in place. The subframe them need plating over.
SW20Paul

Post by SW20Paul »

going4the1 wrote:It is called a suspension arm
See:

http://www.mr2-tech.com/bgb/mechanical/ ... d_axle.htm

Page SA-79

You are correct - there isn't a ball joint. However there are reports that the captive nut within the rear subframe can shear off. This means that the bolt on the inboard end cannot tighten up. This may give the appearence that there is a worn bush.

The fix is to either buy a complet subframe or open the box-section and re-tack the nut in place. The subframe them need plating over.

Yeah the nut can break off, thats the bottom arm normally in front of the one pictured,Paul
robbie_742003

Post by robbie_742003 »

Updated guys, i've had a look under the car myself and its both of the rear tracking arms which are loose at both points of fixing to the crossmember and their respective hub bolts. The bush has worn around the 'knuckle' on all four points and there is excessive play. I've called Toyota and you have to buy the complete tracking arm at £116 each!!!!
Is there anywhere which sells just the bush/bolts and not the arm?

thanks

Rob

Return to “Mechanical”