Uk's

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

stevenb

Uk's

Post by stevenb »

same demise.
Last edited by stevenb on Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.
axisofunity

Re: Uk's

Post by axisofunity »

Man... I feel for you, that sucks and it sounds like it wasn't your fault at all. Do you carry a camera in your car, if you did I'm sure you've got pictures that proove it wasn't your fault.

If you didn't, then the police can look at the rubber marks of your breaking and so on. You should be fine as long as you called them. Get the insurance company on your side.

Get another car, a run-about, check eBay there's always cars with a few months of tax ending for less than £300.

Also, if your insurance company wins, you can claim the cost back usually. If you really feel confident and you need a car for work, rent one (talk to your insurance company first) and they can claim it from the van driver.

Cheers and good luck

-Axis
stevenb

Post by stevenb »

it is.
:shock:
Last edited by stevenb on Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
craig

Post by craig »

Really sorry to hear that mate............. :cry:
Jon S

Post by Jon S »

Have a word with your employers. They might be sympathetic?
stevenb

Post by stevenb »

e try......I wish I lived close to work.... :(
Last edited by stevenb on Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Really sorry to hear that, hope you find a way of sorting it out. Insewerance may end up with it being 50/50 but really it should be his fault. Trouble is, your word against his basically, but he pulled out on you which should at least go someway.
stevenb

Post by stevenb »

takes......crazy.
L0rdMike

Post by L0rdMike »

In my book that I have it says you should never admit fault even if you know 100% it is your fault. :(
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

sorry to hear your troubles,you can repair her. buy it back off the insurance company.as for fault he was pulling out into the traffic so it is his responsibility to ensure nothing is coming.you must fight it.dont agree to anything just stick to your guns.you had the right of way.the insurance will try all sorts of tricks to get a quick result dont let the btards screw you.i see no fault on your part he pulled out into moving traffic.there is no argument that he did not see your lights it is his responsibility to look.
anna

Post by anna »

NOOOOOO!!!! :shock:
Some people get all the bad luck... Sorry to hear about your accident.

Did you get any witnesses?
stevenb

Post by stevenb »

from that!
Grrr... :x
stevenb

Post by stevenb »

swearing aloud.... :lol:
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

Steven,

Really sorry about the news. But if you hit him side on surely this is proof he had just pulled out as you were passing. If he was fully on the road and you had ploughed into the back of him it would be more difficult to prove. So the only question is lights? What time was it, how dark was it, does he admit you had your sidelights on?

I'll be honest with you. A few years ago I had an accident which wasn't my fault when I was insured 3rd party. It was incredibly frustrating because my insurance company wasn't interested, there was nothing in it for them. So its just you against the giant. I got loads of lies (cheque's in the post etc) and some pathetic offers.

Do you have some good photos of the car? If it was in good condition and you have some, these are good weapons is upping the settlement.

Honestly I would just buy a runabout in the meantime. I know you say you can't afford it but get something really cheap. I sold my "C" reg Corolla runabout to my next door neighbour three years ago for £350 and its just passed just another M-O-T without a hitch. He keeps coming round and telling me how brilliant it is.

On the plus side it's a company vehicle, so this guy's manager may not be too bothered with such a small claim. If you keep politely phoning his manager he may just get fed up and say get it sorted.

On a hire car situation you must justify why you need one. You need to tell them where you live, where you work, how much and how long it would take on public transport, and put it in writing to their insurance company, recorded delivery. And then you need to hire the cheapest thing you can find. They will be much more agreeable to settling the claim if you do this.

Best of luck mate, Tom
Last edited by Icsunonove on Sat May 21, 2005 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kelvin

Post by Kelvin »

stevenb wrote:
Thats exactly what I told him....my side lights were on...and I was driving to the road conditions too....only doing 40mph...then he pulled out and i hit him at about 25 mph. I was almost alongside him when I hit him. No wayam I backing down......typical though that my renewal date is 3rd june too...this could take ages.....

Was it just your sidelights that were on? Main headlights still down?

If that's the case, that is an angle that the other drivers insurance company can fight with. If the road was a 60mph limit as you say, you shouldn't have been driving on just sidelights, no matter what the time of day/lighting conditions. If you have front facing lights on, they must be dipped headlights on a road with a speed limit above and including 30mph.

Also, if it was raining and visibility was reduced, surely the sensible option of driving to the conditions is to have your dipped headlights on.

sorry to bring another damp sponge to the proceedings.

Kelvin
stevenb

Post by stevenb »

l the damage.
Last edited by stevenb on Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stevenb

Post by stevenb »

more to say.
:twisted:
Last edited by stevenb on Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kelvin

Post by Kelvin »

You've missed my point. Was it just your sidelights (as in, in the front bumper) or were the main headlights (retractable air damn/mpg wreckers) popped up?

If the main headlights weren't popped up and illuminated, you were not showing enough legal front facing light on a road with a speed limit above or including 30mph. If you'd had no lights on, fine, but if you did have lights on, the dipped beam would have been the minimum legal requirement. That's according to at least the last 2 Butterworths Police Law editions.

Insurance companies will find the slightest thing to change a claim on.
stevenb

Post by stevenb »

of story.
Last edited by stevenb on Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

Hi Steven,

Just edited my previous post. Here's the edited bit anyway:

Icsunonove wrote:
On the plus side it's a company vehicle, so this guy's manager may not be too bothered with such a small claim. If you keep politely phoning his manager he may just get fed up and say get it sorted.

On a hire car situation you must justify why you need one. You need to tell them where you live, where you work, how much and how long it would take on public transport, and put it in writing to their insurance company, recorded delivery. And then you need to hire the cheapest thing you can find. They will be much more agreeable to settling the claim if you do this.

Best of luck mate, Tom

Sounds like it really wasn't your fault.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”