HELP! Can I drive the car without the front droplinks & ARB?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Noneil

HELP! Can I drive the car without the front droplinks & ARB?

Post by Noneil »

It seems that Toyota don't supply the nuts to fix the droplinks, and nowhere nearby sells the right fitting. Can it wait until Monday for me to get the parts from 50 miles away?

Thanks

Neil
IanClements

Re: HELP! Can I drive the car without the front droplinks & ARB?

Post by IanClements »

Took the roll bars off mine a while ago to see what happened to the handling. More roll and understeer surprisingly enough.

Driveable though, just don't sling it into corners.
Noneil

Post by Noneil »

Thanks for that Ian. I didn't think they'd be essential - just needed reassuring
crazybrightman

Post by crazybrightman »

depends wether you classify safety as "essential"
a suspension system is designed to wrok with all its components in place so when you have to swerve or barke hard to miss a kid running out into the road and you cant quite stop aswell all seems a bit silly knowingly drving the car like that. its best waiting until you have the bits.
firstmk1

Post by firstmk1 »

I've been without either anti-roll bar for the past couple of years and the car handles just fine.
IanClements

Post by IanClements »

I've been without either anti-roll bar for the past couple of years and the car handles just fine.

At a guess I'd say you probably have uprated springs/shocks, ARB's are barely needed if these are stiff enough.
crazybrightman

Post by crazybrightman »

no, no, no no! arb's are very important especially if when braking and cornering! ok so with lower and stiffer suspenion the orginals do less work but the car certainly isnt safer without them. plus if you ever crash your car and your insurance company find that they are missing its not going to go down well.
IanClements

Post by IanClements »

no, no, no no! arb's are very important especially if when braking and cornering!

I don't understand what arb's have to do with braking?
crazybrightman

Post by crazybrightman »

to brake your wheels need to be on the ground when cornering not only do antiroll bars reduce roll but in doing so they help to keep the wheels in contact with the road so when it comes to braking the inside wheel doesnt lock up as easy. its all little differnces in differnt situations but taking something away like that makes no sense.
Noneil

Post by Noneil »

It's a bit late now, as I have been driving without since yesterday, but I'm getting the nuts I need this afternoon so I can hopefully get it all back together this evening if the weather isn't horrendous

Neil
kirsty

Post by kirsty »

I had to drive mine for a week or two with the front offside droplink disconnected from the strut, not ideal and I did notice the difference in handling.
I think as long as you're aware of it and sensible it's ok.
RichAW11

Post by RichAW11 »

Why did you replace the droplinks? They were replaced just before I sold the car to you with uprated items? :? From twosrus.co.uk IIRC

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”