Tradgic accident...any help would be amazing

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

Thailand84

Re: Tradgic accident...any help would be amazing

Post by Thailand84 »

I think next week we ll try get hold of Patrick. Toni appreciate you is name forward. It will help. Thanks guys!
Its just nice to know reading these stories it can happen and does!
Be safe guys!
Scotster

Post by Scotster »

Might be a little late to add in here but there was a video on here of, i think, tiff needell (or the other guy from britains worst) driving an MR2 quite hard round a corner. He stated that all he was going to do was lift his foot off the accelerator while turning hard. He did so and the car went so far out of control it was impossible to bring it back, even for him.

There was a discussion on here about a year ago and someone posted that video, i'm pretty sure it was on youtube. I have had a look but can't be sure what to search for, hopefully someone on here might be able to point you in the right direction for some video evidence.

Also, about a year ago i spun my 2 when i was cornering and simply let off the accelerator. Ended up hitting the kerb and damaging my bumper/splitter. Was doing about 30-35 at the time in 2nd gear.

Sorry to hear about both your friends

Scott =op
Thailand84

Post by Thailand84 »

Yea i tried to search for that video as well wasnt having much luck. If any one has a link that would be good.cheers. Glad to hear that every one is ok from their experiences! didnt realise how common it is!
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

good find
considering they said he was doing 42 and tiff does the test at 40, this is a perfect example of lift off oversteer
Si_Crewe

Post by Si_Crewe »

Ridiculous to suggest that you "can't" do something in ANY situation.
Proving that stuff CAN'T be done is almost impossible.

It depends on a bunch of things as to what happens in any situation. You've only got to look at the "moose test" results from cars such as the Audi TT and Merc A-class.
Somehow, test drivers failed to notice they could be flipped after sudden left-right steering input.

Personally, when I concentrate on driving I'm a pretty good driver but when I'm NOT concentrating I'm lousy.
I'd have to admit there are times when I've been driving along a residential street at 20mph and suddenly realised something (maybe I needed to turn or change lane or avoid a concrete bollard etc) and I've jerked the wheel hard enough that I've been lucky not to have skidded off the road.

Again, there's been times when I've thought the road goes one way, dazzled by oncoming vehicle lights, and I've suddenly realised it actually goes the other way, forcing me to make sudden action.
That kind of thing can totally upset a vehicles balance.

I was once in an accident while in a queue of traffic!
We were all trundling along at about 20mph. Everybody else went around this corner and, for some reason, my car understeered and, when I braked, it just slid sideways onto the grass verge.
I COULDN'T have been going any faster than the other cars in front and behind me but something I did was different and caused the car to lose grip.

It happens.
dawolf

Post by dawolf »

I recently had an accident in a turbo. Was taking a roundabout at the speed limit which was 40mph and there was a slight camber in the road, the car lost traction due to this weight shift and the back end stepped out causing me to slide towards the central reservation, I tried to correct it but probably did too much and I ended up going left up the kerb and into a dirt mound. A police officer stopped and checked on my accident. He was a nice bloke and said he owned an MR2 and knew how dangerous they can be on tight bends. It is quite easy to lose the MR2's back end, particularly in the wet hence you need grippy tyres on. I've always been told to do all braking before the bend then just ease the gas gently to come out.
2Crooky

Post by 2Crooky »

My friend who is being tried in this case has just been found guilty :pale: :o

15 months in prison and a 2 year driving ban :evil: I know him well and know that he wouldn't have been driving wrecklessly or beyond the cars limits on that day!! Me and my bro had an accident an hour before him just 3 miles down the road. It was hammering with rain and very slippery.....

I understand that someone lost their life in this incident but it was a total accident :cry: To me 15 months is insane!

I wish you well mate and hope to see you when you get out :pray: :thumleft:
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

2Crooky wrote:I know him well and know that he wouldn't have been driving wrecklessly or beyond the cars limits on that day!!

You weren't in the car, you cannot say that categorically. I feel for him if he has been caught like this, but people we know really well can still do stupid things.
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
spud_edwards

Post by spud_edwards »

:shock: 15 months is harsh. I've had lift off oversteer in my 2 on a damp corner. Crazy to think that a lapse of concentration could see you behind bars.
Snakebitey2

Post by Snakebitey2 »

My rear end has kicked out rather aggressivly though these exact conditions aswell, doing speeds of no more than 35mph, on more than one occassion. so the police are talkin b0ll0cks it can and does happen!!
nakamura

Post by nakamura »

spud_edwards wrote::shock: 15 months is harsh. I've had lift off oversteer in my 2 on a damp corner. Crazy to think that a lapse of concentration could see you behind bars.

Thing is tho it had been stated the limit had already been lowered. If the conditions were so poor and the corner was also stated as blind, he should have slowed down. Sorry but its true, he may not have been reckless at all, but as Malc pointed out we dont know and also he should have adjusted for poor road and weather conditions. Ok its not the worst thing to do 99.999999% of the time but this time someone died.

Once i went to a guildford me and did 30 in a 70 coz it was so wet. And that was in a straight line.
spud_edwards

Post by spud_edwards »

nakamura wrote:

Once i went to a guildford me and did 30 in a 70 coz it was so wet. And that was in a straight line.

You should bear in mind it is also dangerous to drive that slowly on a dual carriage way
nakamura

Post by nakamura »

spud_edwards wrote:
nakamura wrote:

You should bear in mind it is also dangerous to drive that slowly on a dual carriage way

ANd you didnt see the weather. Any faster and i would have crashed. Its was a full storm. Everyone slowed to that speed. There were lakes on the road. So please dont tell me how to drive.
spud_edwards

Post by spud_edwards »

[/quote]

ANd you didnt see the weather. Any faster and i would have crashed. Its was a full storm. Everyone slowed to that speed. There were lakes on the road. So please dont tell me how to drive.[/quote]

I don't beleive I told you how to drive. If a lorry , or any vehicle, were to join the motorway/dual carriage way in poor visibilty and comes up behind a car doing 30mph that is dangerous full stop.
nakamura

Post by nakamura »

So is turning the steering wheel, and the car not moving anywhere. Having no grip at all. I couldnt imagine a lorry could even hit 30 in those conditions.
spud_edwards

Post by spud_edwards »

nakamura wrote:So is turning the steering wheel, and the car not moving anywhere. Having no grip at all. I couldnt imagine a lorry could even hit 30 in those conditions.
You were in a straight line, why would you turn the steering wheel?
nakamura

Post by nakamura »

spud_edwards wrote:
nakamura wrote:So is turning the steering wheel, and the car not moving anywhere. Having no grip at all. I couldnt imagine a lorry could even hit 30 in those conditions.
You were in a straight line, why would you turn the steering wheel?

To change lanes.
spud_edwards

Post by spud_edwards »

Ah, I see.... to overtake someone doing 25mph. LOL if you can't see whats dangerous about that..... ](*,)
nakamura

Post by nakamura »

spud_edwards wrote:Ah, I see.... to overtake someone doing 25mph. LOL if you can't see whats dangerous about that..... ](*,)

No to pull into services as i was in the middle at the time.

<edited by admin>

Return to “Driving Experiences”