[Mk2] [Generic] 19mm Nut removal

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

nikaiyo

[Mk2] [Generic] 19mm Nut removal

Post by nikaiyo »

I am trying to remove my my suspension, and i cant get the big 19mm bolts that hold the strut to the hub knuckle to loosen, I have already broke 2 ring spanners (its ok they are cheepies) this morning using a scaffold tube trying!
The nuts have been soaked in 3 in 1 penetrating oil since last weekend.
What should I try now, I dont want to round off the nut trying with more spanners sockets etc?
I am thinking:

1, Get some heat on the nut, but dont have gas here, so would have to be hot air gun- so prob wont get it hot enough

2, Get electric impact Driver

3, Other suggestions please

Thanks

Nik
Mr2GtBlue

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] 19mm Nut removal

Post by Mr2GtBlue »

When this happens to me I dont waste time I just angle grind them off.

Im sure you would be able to get the grinder in there easy enouth and those bolts are really easy to come by from scrappy breakers etc.
Ian Geary

Post by Ian Geary »

are these the 2 x bolts running above the hub?

Maybe I've been lucky, but I use a breaker bar and socket to hold one side.

the other side I use a (halfords professional) ring spaner held tight, then whack it with a rubber mallet.

this tends to loosen things up quite well.

but a decent angle grinder should get through those nuts in a few minutes.

hth

Ian
nikaiyo

Post by nikaiyo »

Will I be able to replace the bolts with standard HT M16 bolts or do I need to use OEM? Would not normally think about using non orig parts, but i cant use my car untill this is sorted!

thanks

nik
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

This may sound stupidly obvious, but make sure you're undoing the nut, not the bolt? Not trying to insult your intelligence! It can sometimes make a huge difference.

I always use a 2 foot breaker bar and 19mm socket, never had a problem thus far....... :-k

If you're still struggling, pop along to a local garage and ask if they'll use an air rachet on them as sometimes the hammer action (oh er!) can help. Obviously get them to nip them back up for the drive home!!
JOHNM400

Post by JOHNM400 »

You deffo need a socket and breaker bar on those nuts. You will struggle to undo them with any spanner,they are just too tight and weathered.
Wingers

Post by Wingers »

i did this job recently and used a few tricks.

1) use a blowtorch to heat the nut and then spray 3in1 on it when it's hot. this seems to suck the lubricant in and helps a lot.
2) use a ratchet strap to turn the breaker bar. This helps as you can set te strap to go around something solid and then tighten it up on the end of the spanner/breaker bar etc.
3) use the jack in the similar way to no.2 above.

I'd def recommend no.1 and 2&3 are very effective but you have to be carefull before trying those. Make sure that everything is lined up correctly and that you're not applying too much force at the wrong angle or onto a component that shouldn't be taking it.

Wingers
Laney

Post by Laney »

nikaiyo wrote:I have already broke 2 ring spanners (its ok they are cheepies) this morning using a scaffold tube trying!

That may be the problem! Use quality tools. It makes a huge difference. If you swing off that scaffold bar on a Halfords Professional or snap on ratchet then I'd be amazed if it broke. Make sure you use a ratchet and not a spanner.

HTH

Andrew
fearless

Post by fearless »

halfords pro series tools are superb had a ratchet set years and now replacing all my cheap spanners with these, got to get myself a 15mm amasing how many 15mm nuts there is on these cars, had to buy an 18mm for my galaxy the other day what a hard size to find took me ages. air/electric impact gun would be my opinion as you have the hammer type action which helps a lot and the blow torch works well every toolbox should have one oh and defo the socket wrong move with a spanner and you can have rounded nut or mullered knuckles :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
SFLee

Post by SFLee »

biggest breaker bar you can found in halford and the socket, also make sure the thread is cleanish, so the nuts can move easier, may come off easy enough, usually is the smaller bolt is the pain

Return to “Mechanical”