PS3 - Metal Gear Solid Online Beta

Is the PS3 better than a C64, all in here

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Andy Jones

PS3 - Metal Gear Solid Online Beta

Post by Andy Jones »

Available on the PSN now :D
Engine rebuilt by: Steve Horrocks & Andy Jones
Engine mapped by: Ryan@2bartuning (330 bhp & 325 lbft @ 1.4 bar)
Current Status: F****D :(
SamUK

Re: PS3 - Metal Gear Solid Online Beta

Post by SamUK »

you need a key dont you? and they were gone long ago.

or is it public now?
Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

Not sure TBH, Didn't notice anything mentioing a key/ID in the info with it but i've read it's the American version that requires a key and only the people who have pre-ordered the full game will be supplied with it?

Will report back later, Not installed it yet
Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

Installed but needs to update via http or p2p and neither seem to be working ](*,)
Gad
Location: Castle Donington, home of fast cars and strange festivals...

Post by Gad »

I'm sure I read somewhere it's not actually live till Monday...
So that could be your problem! :D
See here
SamUK

Post by SamUK »

i think this deserves 2 minutes silence.

its one of those rare occasions when we get something over the yanks and the japs!

they were all limited and had to receive a key. and even when they did apparently alot didnt even work, then there was the site crashing because too many people were doing it.

looks like well get a smooth ride.
black2

Post by black2 »

downloaded it last night and am installing the download it needs now.

so when i get back it will all be done for monday.

it just let me do it all.
rev1 tubo being broken for bits......get while the cookies are hott

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=100222
thai boxer

Post by thai boxer »

All this installing looks like a real f**king ar$e! No thanks.
Pain is temporary, pride is forever.
black2

Post by black2 »

well not really i just pressed install and it did, i dont know what all the fuss is all about?
rev1 tubo being broken for bits......get while the cookies are hott

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=100222
Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

thai boxer wrote:All this installing looks like a real f**king ar$e! No thanks.

Not really, You download like you do on LIVE then before you get to play it you press a button to confirm the install (unpack as it's usually a compressed file to speed up downloads) then one installed you can start the game \:D/

I take it you won't be buying the XBOX 720 or whatever it's going to be called because HDD's are the future of consoles until someone develops a xxx GB disc that is as reliable and durable as a HDD and is capable of similar read/write transfer rates.

The read speed of the PS3's Blu-ray is p1$$ poor (how long does it take to load the next car/skin in Motorstorm ](*,)) and the reason it has all these huge installs. But the reason behind Sony investing in this new (slow) technology has helped them with the war against piracy (and all you 360 owners will have to start buying games soon IF MS decide to follow suite) :clown:

Back on topic:

I know it's a beta but does anyone else find it rather disapointing? The graphics are nothing compared to COD4 if you ask me and the i know it's supposed to be a stealthy game but the speed your character runs? is crap (spent way too many hours on Warhawk 180+ hours, 35000+ points \:D/ and i'm used to the frantic speed everything goes on in that so perhaps i'm a bit biased)
SamUK

Post by SamUK »

the 720 wont use HDD as its media source.

there not even close to filling half a bluray disc yet so im sure itll do fine for a while.

and no your not the only one dissapointed. i havent read much good about it.
Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

SamUK wrote:there not even close to filling half a bluray disc yet so im sure itll do fine for a while.

Unchartered does and MGS4 was too big apperently to contain multi-language files and will be regional.
SamUK

Post by SamUK »

probably only because they could.

games like oblivion and mass effect are bigger than them and devil may cry is the same and it has loads of cutscenes too.

downloading 50gb+ files mite take a while too.
Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

They fill the disks with dummy/duplicate files so they aren't always as big as you might think. Ever wonder why a ***mb zip can uncompress to a full 4.*gb DVD?

If they duplicate HD FMV/Cutscene files that don't compress it's a good way to fill up a DVD/Blu-ray that won't compress too well making it a bigger file to download throught the pirate networks. Some PS2 games i've seen could have a 2gb+ file full of zeros or ones which would be pointless as when compressed that file alone could go down to just a few bytes. If you installed it to a PS2 HDD you've lost 4.7gb of space, Rip the garbage/dummy files and you could end up with a 700mb game and a lot more free HDD space. (but they can also use dummy files to space required data closer together so the laser doesn't have to travel as far/load a bit quicker)

Sony we're supposed to have an agreement in place with Blu-ray technology so no-one developed a writer for 5 years i once read which has obviously not held up. But this would have meant at todays prices it wouldn't have really been cost effective to pirate games for the system. Even now it hasn't been hacked but if/when it does your still left with:

A. Buy expensive writer and disks £10+ each? which are only 25gb anyway so useless if the game contains more data than that. Yes it could probably be ripped/have FMV/Cutscenes removed to fit but it would stop you hiring/borrowing off friends to make a copy.

B. Buy large HDD. 250gb when formatted would only hold 4 50gb games so do you buy HDD for £80ish? or try and pick up 4 originals/used off ebay/internet sales for around £20 that you can sell on once completed.

* prices probably not accurate but you get the general idea :)

Because of this (at the moment) the PS3 has a brighter future and will give software developers a greater return. Sony have even said they will ban anyone in the future to be found using any hacks/exploits from the free network completely so your online gaming could be at stake.

360's LIVE is plagued with copies and it doesn't look like there's anything else MS can do to stop it.

Return to “Games Consoles”