[Mk2] [Turbo] heater/aircon not warming up very well?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

spwd

[Mk2] [Turbo] heater/aircon not warming up very well?

Post by spwd »

Hi people as the title says just recently in this cold weather were having the heater isnt warming up very quickly and so i switched to air con to clear the screen and that doesnt seem to be working half as well as it used to,ive not tried the aircon on a warm day to see if it is still getting as cold as it used too because its not been warm enough.Always been very good before.

Ive not checked anything as yet because im not sure where to start,any help greatly appreciated.

Its a 94 rev3 tubby

cheers steve
matt_mr2t

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] heater/aircon not warming up very well?

Post by matt_mr2t »

1st things 1st, when you turn the aircon on does it fully engage. You can tell by engine revs usually, they go up a little bit when it comes on.

As for the heater not warming up, very likely to be the thermostat I would think.
spwd

Post by spwd »

Cheers matt il try that,i did check yesterday to see if it gets cold and it does,just doesnt seem to warm up very quickly,is the thermostat a big job?

cheers steve
going4the1

Post by going4the1 »

Not necessarily the thermostat.

Does the temp needle on the dash reach midway after 3-5 miles? If so then the problem is probably an air lock in the system. You may be losing coolant from somewhere.

see:

http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/Knowledge_Base/o ... id=47.html

point 25 onwards will assist with removing the air from the system. Once you've done this keep a close eye on the levels for the coming weeks.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”