[Mk2] [Turbo] My Christmas (photos of wreck included)

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

STU13 B

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] My Christmas (photos of wreck included)

Post by STU13 B »

Shame 2 see this mate, but at the end of the day its a bit of metal and it can be replaced. Your life cant, and sure everyone is glad your ok.

Get back in the saddle and get another tubby, just be a bit more careful this time! :D
RichardPON

Post by RichardPON »

Wounder!

That's properly banana'd!

Who cares about the car? I know someone who had a very similar impact and didn't walk away so lucky.
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Sorry to see this Matt. Get yourself a new one then we'll set up another Cambridgeshire meet!
teazer82sr

Post by teazer82sr »

i have toyos on my turbo and ive also learned how easy it is to spin, i did it myself exiting a greasy roundabout about 2 mths after first getting the car. its an eye opener. i was fortunate not to hit anything though.

nice car she was, but at least your not hurt :thumleft:
Extubby

Post by Extubby »

Matt

Glad that you are ok and live to tell the tail. That could happen to anyone of us.

I must say though, I am very shocked by some of your comments. Some of you make it sound like the MR2 is a beast to drive. I am always amazed at the feedback nearing the limit and the progressivness of the cars. I feel that there are far too many drivers out there that have no idea how to react when their MR unsticks itself. Driver training will help so much or go on a cheap drifting day to learn car control.

No offence meant.

Adam
Hellboy

Post by Hellboy »

my god! how big are you as a person??

I would have been crushed between the fuel tank and the and the door.

you must be one skinny small bloke!
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

Christ, that's a horrible accident!

Kudos on admitting responsibility for that, too. You're lucky to have survived with so little harm; we should thank Toyota a bit for making the SW20 such a lardy thing. I think fate was very much on your side there though!

Get another MR2, though - you've found the limit now!
fozzy rev3

yeah..

Post by fozzy rev3 »

Hellboy - nail on the head mate.. he's not known as 'Little Matt' at work for nothing... :lol:

oh and Adam... boy are you missing the point mate!! :-#

Referring him to a driving course helps massively dude.. Jeeez

..thats the whole point - when it happened, it was with NO warning - if a cars gonna give and not necessarily if your on it's limit, its gonna give.. recovering the spin, in whoevers hands might not have been a possibility..

Matt's posted this to show what could happen in the blink of an eye.. and if it just makes someone think twice about the conditions of the road, then this thread would have served a purpose.. Trust me when I say, the boy is extremely devastated about losing his pride and joy..

..so dont be a muppet with stupid comments.. NO OFFENSE MATE!!
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

blimey matt, that's a bit of a prang!!! gld your ok & ouch about the car!
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

If it'll make him feel better, I used to drive an XR4x4 - like everyone, I think I'm an alright driver, and I don't think I've done too badly overall...

However, my Fourby was always the subject of much "you'll never get that thing to slide, ever" (probably as it replaced a Rover 3500S I was fond of getting the ar$e out on with the cobbles in Kelso) and "You can't slide those!".

Mmmhmmm.

50mph and black ice later...

The skidmarks were WIDTHwise.

I know how to handle a car in a slide, especially AWD, but I made one mistake. I thought I was facing the other direction, that the car had spun to the left, and went to correct to the right, flooring it hard. Upon which it span right around and wiped out 20 feet of hedge, fence and verge before smashing into a treestump.

5am in the morning, black ice, but I still ballsed up hugely, and no driving course would have saved me because roads have rather more furniture and obstacles than driving courses.

I walked out of that; well, fell - the Police attended, fell over on getting out of their van, and didn't investigate! Sierras are tough cars.
Lou-Lou

Post by Lou-Lou »

omg... that scares the crap out of me!

Like everyones said, lucky you came out unharmed :)
Chr15py
IMOC Organiser

Post by Chr15py »

Ok, some of the piccys I took

ooooooh, how'd that last one get in there? :lol:
Chris
Mr Rapey Banana WILL get you...oh yes! :)
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

I am 5'10", 33" waist so pretty average and very, very lucky!
This is me:

Chris, thanks for posting up the pics. You, Fozzy and Whippett have been awesome over this whole thing.

Re: the pink car. *Austin Power Style* "That's not mine! Honestly!"
fozzy rev3

Hang on..

Post by fozzy rev3 »

Hang on..

Receipt here for;

one 'fuchsia pink' paint order acknowledgement - 5ltr..

one quote for wheel refurb'.. in fuchsia pink..

one 'interior' re-fit - in fuchsia pink..

:oops: ..quickly...
Chr15py
IMOC Organiser

Post by Chr15py »

and one sweedish made xxxxx enlarger in pink made out to Matt

*Image removed by admin*

:lol:
Chris
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

Driving fast on wet greasy roads in a rwd car = knob heads

Around by where i live your get alot of people driving like that and have ended up killing innocent people.

When ever i see a crash in this sort of weather im quite happy to see a car wrapped around a lamp post, head on into a tree or in some cases which i have seen them upside down and hope the driver in the car has really hurt themselves badly ........why?.........easy........... atleast its only him that's hurt and not some innocent driver/padestrian hit or killed unless he has passengers, then i just feel sorry for them not the driver.

All this talk of what tyres you got on wont make 1 scrap of difference if you hit a really greasy, wet part of the road.

Think of it this way.........Formula 1 cars have more down force than you could think of, their tyres, well they cost more than some of the cars on here, yet you still see them spin out in wet conditions. So its not the car, its not the tyres.............ITS DRIVER ERROR

Best solution of not spinning...........simple......drive the car to the conditions of the roads and not push it to its limits

Oh and remeber RWD & FWD cars dont handle the same in the dry or wet.
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

alanmr2turbo wrote:Driving fast on wet greasy roads in a rwd car = knob heads

Around by where i live your get alot of people driving like that and have ended up killing innocent people.

When ever i see a crash in this sort of weather im quite happy to see a car wrapped around a lamp post, head on into a tree or in some cases which i have seen them upside down and hope the driver in the car has really hurt themselves badly ........why?.........easy........... atleast its only him that's hurt and not some innocent driver/padestrian hit or killed unless he has passengers, then i just feel sorry for them not the driver.

All this talk of what tyres you got on wont make 1 scrap of difference if you hit a really greasy, wet part of the road.

Think of it this way.........Formula 1 cars have more down force than you could think of, their tyres, well they cost more than some of the cars on here, yet you still see them spin out in wet conditions. So its not the car, its not the tyres.............ITS DRIVER ERROR

Best solution of not spinning...........simple......drive the car to the conditions of the roads and not push it to its limits

Thanks for that
Chr15py
IMOC Organiser

Post by Chr15py »

There you go matt, if only you'd have spoken to the x-spurt first...you may not have spanked your car driving like a knob head :lol:

Oh dear...did you not read any of the earlier posts? He did say it was driver error and he had xxxx tyres. So you think different tyres makes no difference...you try driving on bald tyres and say it makes no difference! Of course it does. Alanmr2turbo - go to bed.

I'm now going out to race in the torrential rain and sleet...cos that's what us knobish MR2 drivers do.
Chris
RichardPON

Post by RichardPON »

alanmr2turbo wrote:Driving fast on wet greasy roads in a rwd car = knob heads

Worst post ever.

Talk about stating the obvious.

It's an accident - he obviously didn't intend to crash.

Nothing worse than forum high horse warriors prattling on about driving too fast for the conditions. So you don't speed at all then?

Also variation on tyres makes a HUGE difference on how a car reacts to changes in road surface, camber, condition, temperature, water level etc....
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

Thanks for the support guys :thumleft:

alan's post has made me regret posting about this. Might ask the mods to lock it.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”