[All] [Generic] Making car videos...

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

nightSpirit

[All] [Generic] Making car videos...

Post by nightSpirit »

As the title suggests, I'm currently in the process of getting to grips with some video equipment to record various driving/racing activities in the EP. Being new to the world of the camcorder, I went for a Sony DCR SR90e...the first cam Sony did with a HDD. The mount I use is a Hague SM1 Camcorder Suction Mount.

My problem is, that even in the Glanza (road suspension not coilovers) because of the anti-shock system on the camcorder that stops the recording if a drop is detected (mercury switch?) the recording keeps cutting out on random bends/bumps.

So, can I improve the shock absorbtion on the mount by fitting foam or something to the baseplate, or do I need a different cam. I don't want to use tapes or mini DV, would like to keep HDD due to record times.

What do you use for recording your racing/driving (has to be TV/DVD quality) and does anyone know of a good anti-shock matt/material?

Mark
paul port

Re: [All] [Generic] Making car videos...

Post by paul port »

I know you don't like it...

But HONESTLY a Mini-DV camera with analogue in and a firewire port is the best option!
They are quite cheap now... Keep an eye on the Canon outlet on Ebay.

This will give you full-resolution / un-compressed video that you can convert to any format you need afterwards. You can run a 60m tape in 90m LP mode.

The trouble with other options like HDD cameras, Archos, DVD cameras etc:
1) Compression.
2) Little shock protection

Solid State recorders:
1) Compression
2) Limited record time.

Something you must understand about compression technologies....
Video Compression technologies are almost all LOSSY, EG some information is lost.
If you try and convert from one compression format to another, EG DIVX back to Mpeg2 - the quality gets even worse as the new compressor may have benefitted from some of the information that was removed by the previous CODEC.

If you really must use a HDD recorder... Buy an external one and wrap it in a pillow. Just use the original camera for an analogue composite video output

Paul
nightSpirit

Post by nightSpirit »

you're right...I don't like it :(

I've asked a company for a sheet of Poron (anti shock polyurethane) and I'll see if that absorbs some of the shock going into the cam.

The thing that annoys me immensely is that I can record with the cam in my hand....shake it as hard as I can, even jump off stairs etc with it recording...no problems. Put it in the car, certain bump...stop.

Thanks for the reply :)
paul port

Post by paul port »

No Problem...

The issue is, with the camera firmly mounted to the chassis, a lot more high frequency shock is transferred.

Does the camera have an Analogue Video Input?
If so... Use a Bullet cam mounted to the chassis, and leave the camcorder in it's bag just tied down to something..

Paul
nightSpirit

Post by nightSpirit »

Sadly no,

finding a HDD cam with A/V in is hard work...and expensive.

I wonder if my theory will prove correct with the poron...would be good if it did. Will test it out with some foam first as the car is due at the dyno tomorrow and I want to do some videos travelling down etc.
cantfindausername

Post by cantfindausername »

I think a cheapo miniDV cam off ebay would be cheaper than getting this HDD set up working. I normally take my DV tapes and stream them to an external HD in full AVI format to keep the quality so I can do what I want to them at a later stage, even put them back on tape if I want to. It does use alot of HD space though.

I would also be happier putting a cheap miniDV camera on the outside of my car than some new expensive unit. Thats my plan anyway.
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
nightSpirit

Post by nightSpirit »

Good point,

I know for video quality, uncompressed is the way forward..I just like the fact that with the HDD cam I can record at hi quality for 9 hours straight..handy for a drive through europe. Now the battery life...that's a different thing all together :(

Ideally I'd love a bullet cam setup linked to a HD recorder, just don't have the funds to spend that much in that area.
cantfindausername

Do you really want to syve through 9 hours of video? I know I wouldn't.

I've got 6 hours from last years trip round Europe that I have streamed, but haven't had the time to go through. Its a big old chunk of time to go through it, then decide what to use and so on. Better to just stick to the bits that look like they might be interesting.

I'm doing another Europe trip this year so will hopefully pull my finger out and again make daily videos as I did with the Cannonball Run.
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
murf

Post by murf »

I had exactly the same problem so i made a camcorder mount that sat on rubber vibration dampers. It looks crap but it was made from stuff from the back of my works van :D

And heres the results;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsQr0y1XwNg
Tomiam

Post by Tomiam »

I use a bullet camera with the hand held video camera held in the glove compartment. I simply put in a few layers of bubble wrap in the glove compartment for the camera to sit on.
I personally like this set up as I can get great video from the front bumper of the car rather than inside which can sometimes look as though the car in front is 100km away. I can also move the bullet camera around the car getting a variety of shots.

Think I got mine for about £60 - £80 on Ebay if that helps.
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

i use one of these with a bullet camera mounted on top of the centre console (30gb hard disc)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mustek-PVR-H230-3 ... dZViewItem

(camera and mic powered by separate battery)

without editing can be grabbed from device and uploaded to youtube in a matter of minutes, no messing with tapes/compressing etc

admittedly, not brilliant quality but i will be getting a high def bullet camera to sort that out, good enough for sticking things on the net though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_WPZ-ZG_oE

(skip first couple of minutes if you want to see the actual run)

total cost was about £110

EDIT:forgot to add - the only downfall of this set up is battery life, the best i have had out of the recording device so far is about 4 hours
cantfindausername

I think I might have to invest in a bullet set up from the front of the car and perhaps the rear of the car for my Euro trip this year.

Do you just mount the camera straight on, or is it worth putting a bit of perspex infront of the lens for protection?
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”