[Mk2] [Turbo] Problem with LSD or the oil in it? rev3 turbo

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

tomwoodis

[Mk2] [Turbo] Problem with LSD or the oil in it? rev3 turbo

Post by tomwoodis »

Hi There,

Trying to narrow down an issue that has raised its head since the Clutch and flywheel were changed for new ones recently

Bit of background:

I've been getting a clunking sensation from the rear of the car as I pull away from a standstill with the car on some lock. Doesnt really change depending on the amount of lock, it just occurs when the wheel is turned and you dont pull away straight, you get nothing at all when you pull away in a straight line.

Once the car is moving a bit then the clunking goes away.

The car just went into my local garage to have the radiator replaced so I got them to have a check of things whilst they had it on the ramp as they suggested it could be a CV joint. Turns out it isnt that and they reckon its something to do with the LSD. Also of note is that the clunking will almost always be there after the car has been reversed and is then moved forwards again (again with some lock on)

The guy from the garage took the car out for a drive also and he thought it could be LSD related but didnt know enough about this particular car to advise any further.

I dont know if the diff has been changed over the years for an aftermarket one but when the gearbox and drive shafts had been taken out of the car for the clutch change etc the garage did suggest that the Diff looked like it could be different from standard (when looking into the gearbox from the side).

Now here are my thoughts:

I was wondering, as was the chap in the garage if the wrong gearbox oil had gone back into the gearbox. If it wasn't right could this cause some nasty clunking sensations from the LSD? Guy in the garage said something about a clutch being in there and that perhaps it wasnt working properly due to incorrect lubrication? Does that sound correct?

Another thought of mine is could the driveshafts be the problem? The garage said it all looks ok however they didnt know if the driveshafts had to be lined up in some way to make sure the LSD worked properly. This may not actually make any difference but perhaps someone could advise who knows about LSD's in the MR2?

The reason i think its the lsd buy the way is the back nearside rear tyre seems to catch and release as you pull away. The garage also suggested this was what is happening, almost as if the car isnt being allowed to spin the outside wheel up at a different speed to the inside wheel as the car is making the turn. If this is the case then i guess this would account for why the sensation only shows itself when the car pulls away with some lock on?

Also you seem to notice the problem more when pulling away slowly whilst making the turn. If the car is given some proper grunt whilst pulling away then the sensation isnt as noticeable/isnt noticeable. I wondered if this was because the wheels are just being forced to turn at the same rate as the power is applied in bigger quantities through the LSD and thus you simply dont experience it as the lsd is forced into action?

Anyway enough gasing, would people please make any sugestions they might have on this.

Much appreciated

Tom
stevel

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Problem with LSD or the oil in it? rev3 turbo

Post by stevel »

Also you seem to notice the problem more when pulling away slowly whilst making the turn. If the car is given some proper grunt whilst pulling away then the sensation isnt as noticeable/isnt noticeable. I wondered if this was because the wheels are just being forced to turn at the same rate as the power is applied in bigger quantities through the LSD and thus you simply dont experience it as the lsd is forced into action?

I had the same problem some time back

Changed oil-no change
changed drive shaft -no change
fitted a new lsd- fixed it
Ironically it was cheaper to get a TRD one than a new one from Mr T. I could of got a new box but thought i may as well service mine
tomwoodis

lsd

Post by tomwoodis »

I had the same problem some time back

Changed oil-no change
changed drive shaft -no change
fitted a new lsd- fixed it
Ironically it was cheaper to get a TRD one than a new one from Mr T. I could of got a new box but thought i may as well service mine

Oh dear sounds like this is going to be expensive in that case then. If you don't mind can you let me know what sort of costs we are talking about to buy a replacement one and get it fitted?

Cheers again

Tom
stevel

Post by stevel »

Not sure on the cost of a 2nd hand box but it cost me £900 to do mine.
I am sure you will find one alot cheaper, i just wanted to keep mine as it was all stripped down & i knew the history.
Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

Yep sounds like you have an aftermarket LSD in there - it is normal believe it or not.

Some are worse than others depending on what oil you use.

If you want to get rid of it i'd recommend visiting the redline website and getting some friction modifier - put that in with the oil and you should have a clunk free box (or greatly reduced noise)

N.B - adding this oil actually removes some of the LSD effect.

Regards,

Nathan
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
W0mbat

Post by W0mbat »

mine does this.

i was seriously worried about it 2 years ago, but decided to fix it when it fell out.

it never did.

am i worried now? nope. :twisted:
tomwoodis

75-90

Post by tomwoodis »

Yep sounds like you have an aftermarket LSD in there - it is normal believe it or not.

Some are worse than others depending on what oil you use.

If you want to get rid of it i'd recommend visiting the redline website and getting some friction modifier - put that in with the oil and you should have a clunk free box (or greatly reduced noise)

N.B - adding this oil actually removes some of the LSD effect.

Regards,

Nathan

Thanks for the information Nathan,

75-90 is what went back in there but i believe this isn't what some of the aftermarket LSD's are designed to work with is that correct?

Obviously we can only guess at what is actually in there but you reckon the friction modifier is the way to go then?

How much do you need to put in there?

Cheers

Tom
tomwoodis

update

Post by tomwoodis »

Just an update on this, wanted to see if this sounds plausible?

I was trying to see in what conditions the knocking was most obvious and it would seem that the clunking is usually worst once the car has warmed up a bit. Does that sound right?

When manouvering around the car park first thing in the morning it isn't so noticeable, once i've been going a while though it is. Could this be a result of the oil warming up?

Return to “Mechanical”