rev3 tubby against 350z (story)

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

2Crooky

Re: rev3 tubby against 350z (story)

Post by 2Crooky »

They are uber tasty but it is still a french engine.....Something i would not favour over a japanese reliable lump.
mishadbull

Post by mishadbull »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_VQ_engine

AFAIK, NOT a French engine. Though Nissan and Renault are in bed together I believe that this engine was developed prior to the merger and as it is still made in japan . . . not a French lump.

M
Joey

Post by Joey »

My brother has an '05 one, we decided to see how my Rev3 Tubby matched up on a nearby deserted airfield :whistle: nothing in it up to 120mph. Lovely cars though....
CosmosblueMR2

Post by CosmosblueMR2 »

Joey wrote:My brother has an '05 one, we decided to see how my Rev3 Tubby matched up on a nearby deserted airfield :whistle: nothing in it up to 120mph.

then what :-k
Car now Sold :cry: damn 5th Lumber Disc !
Club Tropicana

Post by Club Tropicana »

Power being more critical than weight at high speeds, one would favour the 350Z at high speeds - this is just a guess though.
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

definately had the edge easily over the 350 at high speed, not bragging but was suprised as one would of thought otherwise.
Could of been the lowered powered one i guess :-k

nice cars thou, iconic in a way
Joey

Post by Joey »

CosmosblueMR2 wrote:
Joey wrote:My brother has an '05 one, we decided to see how my Rev3 Tubby matched up on a nearby deserted airfield :whistle: nothing in it up to 120mph.

then what :-k

Ran out of runway......i'd say i'd have struggled to keep up at higher speeds i.e. in 5th gear
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

paulmann wrote:Well dont mean to be a big head but I own both cars!

There has been been 4 revisions of the 350Z already. The first engines pushing out 270BHP to the one I own which pushes out 309bhp. The engine in the 350Z is one of the best engines in the world, apparently(according to the industry polls, the engine has been around a while and has been in the top 10 best engines for ten years on the trot now).

I would reckon the standard rev3 tubby v standard 350z would be a dead heat. They have similar 0-60 speeds but when it gets to about 120mph the 350Z would pull ahead as its really does pull hard to the rev limiter in all gears but is limited to 155MPH.

Both cars are great in their own ways.

After driving them with passion on B roads I would say the Zed is the easier to drive and holds the road really well oozing confidence. Whilst the 2 as we know needs your full attention but rewards you more.

What I like about my zed is it feels (to me anyways) like a lighter, nimbler car that it actually is.
What I like about my 2 is that is a pocket rocket and scares me more!

oh, the zed feels slower because of the lack of torque that you get from a turbo, watching the speedo move up dispels that feeling instantly. It is quick. But like all cars should be quicker.

I own both too. My tubby is faster but that's because it's a stripped track weapon, I'd imagine a stock 350z would beat anything but a healthy stock rev3 turbo.

The 350z real charm is just how adjustable the chassis is on the limit. You can drive it sideways all day if you can afford the rear tyres!

I have to say, if I had to get rid of one of them I'd still have my turbo sitting in my drive... :)

Return to “Driving Experiences”