[All] [Generic] MR2 Mk2 Turbo or n/a

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

khizrs

[All] [Generic] MR2 Mk2 Turbo or n/a

Post by khizrs »

I am considering buying an MR2, I understand there are 2 types - Turbo and non Turbo, is the difference in performance between the two huge?

I am considering just a standard UK model N/A 1998 model which seems ok, yet to drive one though.

what's the 0-60 on the turbo and the n/a?

Thanks!
Munnsy

Re: [All] [Generic] MR2 Mk2 Turbo or n/a

Post by Munnsy »

the difference is quite considerable,
i have a turbo and have recently had an argument with a barrier.
Very scary to drive in the wet, but amazing cars.
I personally would go for the turbo as its only a weekend car for me,
Depends wether you are going to use it as a day to day car or a fun weekend car??
Also if you get an n/a i personally would go for an import, slightly better performance than the uk and few more trick bits.
Also has the toblerones on the bumper for your indicatrs which i think looks better :thumleft:
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

welcome to inoc buddy :thumleft:

Munnsy wrote:Also if you get an n/a i personally would go for an import, slightly better performance than the uk

performance is exactly the same for uk/import na's except the last 1000 or so rev5 beams engined cars (toyotas vtec equivelant)

manufacturers standard figures are -

rev1/2 na
0-60 7.2
1/4 mile ?16ish at a guess

rev3+ na
0-60 7.7
1/4 mile 15+ (also at a guess)

rev1/2 turbo
0-60 5.7
1/4 mile 14.2

rev3+ turbo
0-60 5.3
1/4 mile 13.7

hth
Jay
KrisMoyse

Post by KrisMoyse »

Before you even consider choosing the turbo...

...have you driven a rear wheel drive sports car before?
Amelio

Post by Amelio »

What's that got to do with anything? :?

If the guy wants to buy an MR2 so be it. Either way, i think you've got your answers.
KrisMoyse

Post by KrisMoyse »

Well...

...I've got a n/a and it's crept out on me a few times and when it does it scares the crap outta you, even worse now its wet and wintery. And from the storys I've heard/read turbos are a lot more of a beast.

So reverting back to my point:

If you haven't driven a rear wheel drive sports car before (like myself), I personally would go for a n/a to get used to the feeling of one.

Insurance is a lot cheaper as is petrol and they still go like the stink when you put your foot down (just not quite as much as the turbo).

What I'm saying is if you jump straight in at the deep end and get a tubby you're more likely to end up in 'a bit of bother' than if you got used to a fast sports car (ie: the N/A) first.

I know finances may not allow or whatever but for your own sake that's what I'd do/did.

Don't get me wrong, I want a tubby. Only had my n/a for a few months but I'm glad I went for that rather than a tubby. Will give me more time to look for a decent one and insurance ain't so bad a present...AND I'll know what to expect with the tail-end.

It's your call, just my 2 cents.
khizrs

Post by khizrs »

KrisMoyse wrote:Well...

...I've got a n/a and it's crept out on me a few times and when it does it scares the crap outta you, even worse now its wet and wintery. And from the storys I've heard/read turbos are a lot more of a beast.

If you haven't driven a rear wheel drive sports car before (like myself), I personally would go for a n/a to get used to the feeling of one.

Insurance is a lot cheaper as is petrol and they still go like the stink when you put your foot down (just not quite as much as the turbo).

What I'm saying is if you jump straight in at the deep end and get a tubby you're more likely to end up in 'a bit of bother' than if you got used to a fast sports car (ie: the N/A) first.

I know finances may not allow or whatever but for your own sake that's what I'd do/did.

Don't get me wrong, I want a tubby. Only had my n/a for a few months but I'm glad I went for that rather than a tubby. Will give me more time to look for a decent one and insurance ain't so bad a present...AND I'll know what to expect with the tail-end.

True. I will take your advice.

I am only 20, so very inexperienced with sports cars. I drive a RWD barge at the moment (530d sport) which has plenty of poke, but it will only be a weekend car.

I think an n/a UK model will be best.
andydurham

Post by andydurham »

Im 19 and i drive a Turbo.... It is completely up to the drivers capabilities to whether or not they can drive any car, personally i dont think there is any problem with snappyness of the back end (just dont plant your foot half way round a corner)
KrisMoyse

Post by KrisMoyse »

andydurham wrote:Im 19 and i drive a Turbo.... It is completely up to the drivers capabilities to whether or not they can drive any car, personally i dont think there is any problem with snappyness of the back end (just dont plant your foot half way round a corner)

Well I'm 19 (20 in Jan) and I'm a confident driver. However I'm glad I got the n/a because it stops you from being cocky...a good thing to get rid of before you get a tubby
CosmosblueMR2

Post by CosmosblueMR2 »

Ahh "stories" :thumleft:

I never spun my turbo once - or had any "hairy" moments.

Unlike the NA in which i spun a "few" times :whistle:

Turbo's are safer .. you don;t thrash the nuts off them to get anywhere :mrgreen: DISCUSS :thumleft:
Car now Sold :cry: damn 5th Lumber Disc !
KrisMoyse

Post by KrisMoyse »

khizrs wrote:I think an n/a UK model will be best.

A very good choice...I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Be sure to get a t-bar for the summer too, it's a lovely drive with the roof off.

Gimme a shout if you want any advice or wot-not, I went through the same thing 3 months ago so I know where you're coming from
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Given a choice I would get a Import Rev3+ Turbo T-Bar:

Revision 3 onwards (round lights): as they look 'fresher' plus have safety/handling/styling improvements over earlier cars and will hopefully be less rusty too! :-)

Definitely a Turbo - much more "fun" car to drive and quite frankly NA is no comparison :-( They respond better to tuning etc too and are just as reliable if they have not been overly modded. They are just as safe as an N/A to drive and all this stuff about getting an N/A first is utter nonsense. You can crash any car if you drive like an idiot/use bald tyres etc.

T-Bar - makes the cabin light and airy and has a bit pose value in the summer! LOL Do check that they dont leak - can be cured though even if they do but a bit pricey.

Unless its an aftermarket engine installation all turbos are imports, however even if going for a N/A (non turbo) I would get an import - they have useful extras such as air con, some have 1/2 leather trim and folding mirrors etc.

Things I would avoid are heavily modified cars so would try and go for cars which having nothing more than an aftermarket stainless exhaust and an air filter, nice wheels etc.
Last edited by JeffD on Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

khizrs wrote:

True. I will take your advice.

I am only 20, so very inexperienced with sports cars. I drive a RWD barge at the moment (530d sport) which has plenty of poke, but it will only be a weekend car.

I think an n/a UK model will be best.

I've had an n/a since passing my test and turbo since I was 18 just turning 19. It's all about smooth acceleration and respect for the midengined car. Its not the RWD that catches people so much, it's the weight in the back over the rear tyres. In the dry they are absolutely stunning handling cars and extremely quick but once it rains, just pull over and keep a steady speed and DONT be tempted into blats with chavs trying to egg you on it's as simple as that really.
Antstarr

Post by Antstarr »

I got my standard NA when I was 20 going on 21.....

Modded it performance + handling.
By the time I turned 22 I got a rev3 turbo tbar- before I turn 23 I have modded that to quite a limit....

Depends if you crave for speed...if u do...u will be regretting you got an NA once you sit in a turbo lol
If you can afford a turbo then test drive or sit in as a passenger...you would be suprised.
Watashi wa Ant desu, BAKA!!!
Amelio

Post by Amelio »

Had both and there's a reason i have a tubby at the moment.

Driving ability is all it comes down to - if you gonna crash a tubby you'd probably do the same thing in a NA anyway.

Like Cosmo said, you'll be thrashing the NA trying to make it go fast and that's when you'll make the mistakes.

If you can afford it buy a Rev3 turbo.
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Thing is with the turbo is that the power is there, in oodles, and you can get carried away. If you don't know what to expect then it could put you in a lot of trouble. The N/A is a much more progressive drive and IMO a better car to start RWD with. I had an N/A for a year before the turbo and really enjoyed it, I learnt about the limits of the car without having so much power on tap.

If you think you can be sensible and take time to learn the behaviour of the car then you'd probably be ok with a tubby first off, just treat it with lots of respect.
KrisMoyse

Post by KrisMoyse »

Leeroy wrote:Thing is with the turbo is that the power is there, in oodles, and you can get carried away. If you don't know what to expect then it could put you in a lot of trouble. The N/A is a much more progressive drive and IMO a better car to start RWD with. I had an N/A for a year before the turbo and really enjoyed it, I learnt about the limits of the car without having so much power on tap.

If you think you can be sensible and take time to learn the behaviour of the car then you'd probably be ok with a tubby first off, just treat it with lots of respect.

My point exactly...well said Leeroy

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”