[All] [Generic] Anyone bought an import from the docks?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

b8ucks

[All] [Generic] Anyone bought an import from the docks?

Post by b8ucks »

Anyone used Japanese Import Auctions in Tilbury? I'm finding it hard to find any information on them whatsoever on the net apart form their address.

As far as I understand you just turn up at the docks on the day of the auction and bid for a jap import car straight off the boat. Is that correct?

If so what needs to be done once you've bought it? Is it a process of registering it, then getting an MOT and log book? How much does this whole process usually cost?

Also, is it true that the cars are a lot cheaper than buying private?

Any info on this would be VERY much appreciated guys and gals!

Thanks, Nik
Last edited by b8ucks on Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
afennell
IMOC Organiser

Re: [All] [Generic] Anyone bought an import from the docks?

Post by afennell »

The cars are cheaper, you have to pay straight away, and get the car home some how, and then do the mot ect.
If the car is over 10 years no need for the sva, you just need to get an mot using the chassis number then get her registed with the dvla.
Don't forget you need to fit a fog light and uk speedo for the mot.

I think some auction are only open for traders, I would be interested to see what other people reply to this.
Last edited by afennell on Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
b8ucks

Post by b8ucks »

Thanks for the help buddy, that's very helpful.
b8ucks

Post by b8ucks »

bump!
refo

Post by refo »

b8ucks wrote:Anyone used Japanese Import Auctions in Tilbury? I'm finding it hard to find any information on them whatsoever on the net apart form their address.

As far as I understand you just turn up at the docks on the day of the auction and bid for a jap import car straight off the boat. Is that correct?

If so what needs to be done once you've bought it? Is it a process of registering it, then getting an MOT and log book? How much does this whole process usually cost?

Also, is it true that the cars are a lot cheaper than buying private?

Any info on this would be VERY much appreciated guys and gals!

Thanks, Nik

not sure about that auction house but the one near me put all the car next to the bidding area for you too look round. no keys. but you cant stand at the entrance to the bidding area and watch and listen to them being driven up the rows and then into the bidding area.

prices seem to be about 50% of normal uk prices for most of the cars. but this could have been a low cost day and another day with more bidders could push the prices up i spose.

the one thing that did strike me about it was that most of the cars were quite tatty. the few newer ones had body damage but many of the 10+ year cars were very used. it might be the dirt from the ship or the storage at the jap end?? but in genral the cars looked like they were there cos they needed to be sold cheap due to condition.

having said that there were some mint fd's and nsx's.

pay on the day after the end of the sale. you cant drive it on uk roads without trade plates. but you might be able to find a garage near you with trade plates and you pay them to recover it and do the mot??
that or the much easier option of bringing a car trailer and something to pull it with.

THIS is the dvla site that tells you what you need to do to get your car reg'd. if its over 10 years old then you don't need an sva. some of the cars under 10 years dont have a model report so are very expensive to get registered. all that info is also on the dvla website.

happy hunting
Bender Unit

Post by Bender Unit »

Don't forget you need to fit a fog light and uk speedo for the mot.

You don’t need a UK speedo for the MOT, in fact you don’t actually need a speedo! :D

pay on the day after the end of the sale. you cant drive it on uk roads without trade plates. but you might be able to find a garage near you with trade plates and you pay them to recover it and do the mot?? that or the much easier option of bringing a car trailer and something to pull it with.

You can drive on the road without MOT/Plates/Tax as long as the car is insured on its Chassis number. ;)

This means you can collect and import from the docks and drive it home. You must however clearly display your Chassis Number on the front and back of the car (A4 paper with number written in Marker). If you go with the intention to buy make sure you have an insurance company that’s willing to cover you for this as some won’t insure on the Chassis number. If you can borrow a trailer and a tow car then that saves hassle – cars are usually complete with flat batteries, empty fuel tanks, and if its something sporty potentially dangerous tires (seen drift cars with tires down to the mesh).

You need to check if the car your buying has the import paid on it as well, if not that’s an extra cost.

Once you have the car you need to take it for an MOT, again you can drive it to a booked appointment without plates, MOT and TAX. If the car passes you get and MOT, you then take that to your local DVLA office, you hand over the insurance details, registration document and MOT, you pay £100 for 6 months tax and then you wait 4 days or so. Go back to the DVLA office, collect your paper work, tax disc. All you need to do then is update the insurance company with your reg details, and get your plates made up.

Buy under 10 years old otherwise it needs an SVA and type approval and that’s a proper git! 10 years or older and it just needs an MOT.

I wouldn’t expect to find anything super special at 1 of these auctions (no t88 2.2 Mr2’s) but if your after something cheap and boggo like a Subaru Pretzel, Shogun pikey wagon or maybe a stock mr2 turbo then it might be worth a punt. Take someone who knows what they are looking at as it’s always a bit of a gamble.

Cars are not going to be showroom finish but if its mechanically sound, not smashed up then nothing a good clean wouldn’t probably sold. A lot of these cars are left at the docks for months and get covered.

I would be tempted to go and see if I can find a pimp Aristo to smoke around in.

Cheers

James
Tommo-GTS

Post by Tommo-GTS »

You can drive on the road without MOT/Plates/Tax as long as the car is insured on its Chassis number. ;)

This means you can collect and import from the docks and drive it home. You must however clearly display your Chassis Number on the front and back of the car (A4 paper with number written in Marker).

This is what I have been told as well - emphasis is on driving it home - Apparently this is very strict - you can only drive it straight home from docks. Not drive arond till its mot'd :thumleft:
b8ucks

Post by b8ucks »

Thanks for that guys! All very helpful info. I'll let you know when I've been and if I buy anything. Thanks again. Nik

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”