Rolling Road Dyno Day

Reports and Feedback from MR2 related events

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jonno

Re: Rolling Road Dyno Day

Post by jonno »

Loving everybodys work - update the list yourselves and I will sort out the dates and prices :)

Organising events keeps getting easier!

List not to exceed 22 places otherwise we wont get them all done. Nobles does 4wd in case anybody didnt realise.

I will Geoff Bloor and Nobles after lunch when i get a minute.

Neil.
Forever Feels Like Home, Sitting All Alone Inside Your Head...
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

jonno wrote:Loving everybodys work - update the list yourselves and I will sort out the dates and prices :)

Organising events keeps getting easier!

List not to exceed 22 places otherwise we wont get them all done. Nobles does 4wd in case anybody didnt realise.

I will Geoff Bloor and Nobles after lunch when i get a minute.

Neil.

One thing i would say Neil, is that Geoff is one of the guys who can seem a bit off unless you know him well so don't be put off by that. He's a good friend of mine (i have been to Monza with him to see superbikes etc) and seriously knows his stuff. He's an old school turbo guru and incredibly good when it comes to electronics and engine setup in Nottingham and does a lot of stuff with tubbies.

So it might be worth mentioning me as an ice-breaker. I'm not sure he's ever done a group dyno session but he may well be up for it. His prices are normally pretty good too, i remember the first time i put my car on his rollers that he charged me £15 + VAT.

Good luck with it, let me know how you get on.
paul_h

Post by paul_h »

me as well

1, Michael
2, stevel
3, Hedgehog Dodger
4, Rowland_W
5, Andy F

6, MR2Mania (If his car is ready!)
7, tonigmr2 (maybe if 4wd)
8, Mikejc (only if patrick does it)
9, Enrico
10, MarkP
11, Paul R (Providing I have put my car back together)
12, Steve Horrocks (If car is ready)
13, Mark Knightspirit (Poss - If car is ready)
14, Paul Hornsey (whatever state the cars in i'll be there)
rev3turbo

Post by rev3turbo »

just adding me ..............

1, Michael
2, stevel
3, Hedgehog Dodger
4, Rowland_W
5, Andy F

9, Enrico
10, MarkP
15, rev3turbo (paul m)
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

jonno wrote:The more I think about it, it would be a damn good excuse to write some custome "dyno day" type code that hooked into the phpBB backend DB. The power figures could show up in each users profile and they could upload dyno plots and also maybe enter the real numbers from their plot into a form to allow them to compare against other users on the same plot?

You mean like this, Neil?
http://www.mr2mania.com/plot.php

;)

I'm gonna add some REALLY nifty features soon, that will allow you to enter gear ratios, etc, and it will try to calculate what your acceleration times will be...
Pimp Juice

Post by Pimp Juice »

*Hand Up* for Thor.

Well worh the extra effort to use their Dynapack.
ryan

Post by ryan »

I'm definately up for a Dyno in the Midlands. I was about to start phoning around to book the car in, but it would be much better to have a group of us there. Its been a long while since my last Dyno, and I really want to see what my mods have done to the old gal :lol:
ryan

Post by ryan »

What I mean to say is a definate *hand up* for either Nobles or Thor
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Pimp Juice wrote:*Hand Up* for Thor.

Well worh the extra effort to use their Dynapack.

The only issue is due to Thor having to take the wheels off and generally faff around, how many cars can they get through in a day?

Also don't they charge a stupid price like £50 or something (total rip-off IMO)?
michael

Post by michael »

Thor's setup is great for a diagnostic session but for dyno days it's far too labour intensive as Lauren says, too much time spent watching them fit the equipment.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

michael wrote:Thor's setup is great for a diagnostic session but for dyno days it's far too labour intensive as Lauren says, too much time spent watching them fit the equipment.

Well i think thats a fair point as after all nobody is going to expect to have hours spent setting up their fueling or whatever, so surely a rolling road day is really a 'bit of fun' and a social and should be seen that way.

In that case we really ought to just plump for a stock type rolling road where we can get as many possible on the rollers to keep the price down and maximise the spectatoring.
jonno

Post by jonno »

Rogue has offered to subsidise the event with Thor which would bring the costs down to about £25 each.

We would get less cars on though, but having said that last time I struggled to get 16 MR2's and had to resort to rounding up my mates a couple of days before to make up the numbers!.

Today was my first day back at work and it has been hectic - still at my desk now! so I didnt get chance to call anybody. I will get back with prices and dates tommorow and we wil have a vote, Geoff, Nobles and Thor/Rogue and see what everyones thoughts are.

Neil.
Forever Feels Like Home, Sitting All Alone Inside Your Head...
ryan

Post by ryan »

I won't be able to get to a PC for a few days, but I don't want to miss out on a RRoad session, so please count me in. Take this a a definate 'yes'.
Many Thanks jonno

Ryan
Paul R

Post by Paul R »

Hi,

TBH I think thats absolute rubbish about THOR taking a long time to get each car through.

It takes 2 minutes to get the back wheels off and another 2 minutes to put the dynapack fitted. A dyno run then only takes 10 minutes to set up and do the run.

It's also an awesome piece of kit.

Paul.
michael

Post by michael »

Paul R wrote:Hi,

TBH I think thats absolute rubbish about THOR taking a long time to get each car through.

And TBH I think it's a valid comment, having been to Thor with my car a few times and seen them in action on group dyno days it takes a fair bit longer than a regular dyno, even with helpers

It takes 2 minutes to get the back wheels off and another 2 minutes to put the dynapack fitted. A dyno run then only takes 10 minutes to set up and do the run.

I'm not against the idea of going there again, I can wait for the cars to be swapped around but it's not quite as intense to watch as a regular dyno and the hub figures don't really translate to anything useful apart from comparing with other Thor runs (something I'm keen to do anyway).

At the end of the day I'll go wherever the dyno day is.

Agreed.
Paul R

Post by Paul R »

michael wrote:

And TBH I think it's a valid comment, having been to Thor with my car a few times and seen them in action on group dyno days it takes a fair bit longer than a regular dyno, even with helpers

They seemed very quick indeed when I went last time. My car was on the dyno, tested and back off again in about 10-15 mins. It also showed that my car was running slightly lean at the top end, so well worth the 40 quid!.

Paul.
Paul R

Post by Paul R »

Paul.

Sorry, didnt mean it to come out like that, but I do disagree - no disrespect to you Lauren.

I just think that Thor is a superior Dyno.
Paul.
DannyW

Post by DannyW »

Count me in.

1, Michael
2, stevel
3, Hedgehog Dodger
4, Rowland_W
5, Andy F
9, Enrico
10, MarkP
15, rev3turbo (paul m)
16, ryan
17, DannyW
tom tom

"Hand"

Post by tom tom »

Hand, but how does it get there from London?
Pimp Juice

Post by Pimp Juice »

Hand, but how does it get there from London?

You get on the M1 and follow the fresh air. :lol:

ps Don't break down around Coventry if you're in the AA !!!

Return to “Past Events”