[All] [Generic] mr2 "a marketing disaster"

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Kitch

[All] [Generic] mr2 "a marketing disaster"

Post by Kitch »

dawolf

Re: [All] [Generic] mr2 "a marketing disaster"

Post by dawolf »

Yeah I know, read that myself earlier. What a ridiculous review. Shows that MSN know nothing about cars.
Si_Crewe

Post by Si_Crewe »

Pfft.

It's in the same list as the Audi TT, Smart Roadster and XJ220.
Hardly anything to be ashamed of.

I suspect some hack journo has read about how the sharp, whizzy little Mk1 became bloated and fat and wrote that as a result.

Funny how the fat bloated Mk2 stayed in production a lot longer than the low-fat Mk3?
The bean-counters at Toyota didn't keep the Mk2 alive for 10 years out of charity and then can the Mk3 after 4 years out of spite.
They did it in response to sales.
Hellboy

Post by Hellboy »

considering my car is number 37xxx - and is a REV1 from 1991 and the MR2 SW20 had been around for 2 years thats not bad going to have 37K cars made and they went on for another 8 years after that, and made 100s of thousand cars in that time.

Looks good to me, a disaster is car that has limited numbers for being crap.
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

I think we need everyone on IMOC to rate that article as POOR.

Toyota may have had one or two things which they could have done better, but the Mk2 is still a great car overall.
vishpish

Post by vishpish »

thats a total joke...the mr2 is an amazing looking car and theyv even put the xj220 on that list...pile of ****

anyione seen tiff needells original review of the mr2 on youtube kicks ass ill get a link
KrisMoyse

Post by KrisMoyse »

It's here: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=aowVIZJ6iHQ

Included it in my post a while ago:
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... c&start=20

Saw that article on MSN Home Page...what a load of bull. Definately some anorack t**t who can't affor or has always wanted a 2 and tapped "MR2 Mk2" into google and found the first bad link he could....mk2 fat? It's not a light car no, but it's still f***in quick and will beat ALOT of stuff on the road straight line or in the corners!

"Dan Trent and Richard Aucock" (the article's writers)....2 seeds in a k**b.
Harry

Post by Harry »

:lol: ...laughable article! :eye:
Last edited by Harry on Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
philster_d

Post by philster_d »

Hi Harry :)

Cant deny to spinning my old MK2 tubby beast occasionaly :lol:

they realy seemed to have dropped the ball on the under powered stock MK3, working on rectifying that tho. hehe

Philly.
vishpish

Post by vishpish »

i love tiffs "down ponts" on the mr2 lol
"noisy" :thumleft:
"no abs(like tvrs lol)" :thumleft:
"no catalytic conv"(more bhp!) :thumleft:
star_gazer

Post by star_gazer »

I am sorry, but I don't understand what people are bitching about. The article really is about marketing cars, not about the cars itself. And face it the MR2 to Toyota was a marketing disaster compared to say a Yaris.

Why can't people understand simple concepts like marketing, which in layman's terms is Toyota expected to sell like 1 million but ended up selling like 100,000 that to them is a disaster

You lot should relax a bit :D
KrisMoyse

Post by KrisMoyse »

So the MR2 grew fat. And complex. And suddenly, all the finesse was gone. And as if that wasn't bad enough, Toyota didn't even set it up right, turning the MR2 experience from ballet to a twitchy, lift-off-oversteering nightmare. Soon, the MR2's reputation was sullied: it became a Bad Handling Car.

Oh yes of course star_gazer, that article was ALL about marketing :roll:

Infact, out of the whole paragraph (95% of which I have quoted above) only 1 sentence is to do with marketing....see for yourself

Pretty, compact and hideously fun to drive, the original MR2 was a simple but brilliantly honed two-seater that was the very essence of rear-drive enjoyment. Toyota wasn't happy, though. It wanted to charge more money for the MR2, wanted more inter-manufacturer cred in the performance and prestige stakes. So the MR2 grew fat. And complex. And suddenly, all the finesse was gone. And as if that wasn't bad enough, Toyota didn't even set it up right, turning the MR2 experience from ballet to a twitchy, lift-off-oversteering nightmare. Soon, the MR2's reputation was sullied: it became a Bad Handling Car. A quite remarkable turnaround in perception.
010on1986

Post by 010on1986 »

Pretty, compact and hideously fun to drive, the original MR2 was a simple but brilliantly honed two-seater that was the very essence of rear-drive enjoyment.

MSN are spot on.
Harry

Post by Harry »

:lol:
star_gazer

Post by star_gazer »

KrisMoyse wrote:
So the MR2 grew fat. And complex. And suddenly, all the finesse was gone. And as if that wasn't bad enough, Toyota didn't even set it up right, turning the MR2 experience from ballet to a twitchy, lift-off-oversteering nightmare. Soon, the MR2's reputation was sullied: it became a Bad Handling Car.

Oh yes of course star_gazer, that article was ALL about marketing :roll:

Infact, out of the whole paragraph (95% of which I have quoted above) only 1 sentence is to do with marketing....see for yourself

Pretty, compact and hideously fun to drive, the original MR2 was a simple but brilliantly honed two-seater that was the very essence of rear-drive enjoyment. Toyota wasn't happy, though. It wanted to charge more money for the MR2, wanted more inter-manufacturer cred in the performance and prestige stakes. So the MR2 grew fat. And complex. And suddenly, all the finesse was gone. And as if that wasn't bad enough, Toyota didn't even set it up right, turning the MR2 experience from ballet to a twitchy, lift-off-oversteering nightmare. Soon, the MR2's reputation was sullied: it became a Bad Handling Car. A quite remarkable turnaround in perception.

I can't really understand what this commotion is about, they say it was a marketing failure and try to reason why, the first is a fact and the second based on a number of facts and opinion. from what I glean)

mk1 - was simple (yes, than a mk2)
mk1 - was less heavy, mk2 fat (yes)
mk1- was a focused sport machine (yes, mk2 is soft and more GT than sport)
mk2 - complex compared to a mk1 (yes)
mk1 - more precise than 2 (yes, cos its lighter, smaller boot and hence less polar moment of inertia, great response with a good chassis)
mk1 - can outhandle a mk2 (yes) so mk2 handling is bad compared to a mk1

I just can't understand people, the mk2 mr2 handles like poo compared to say a Eunos roadster or even a mk1, but the road-holding and speeds are superior to the mk1 or the roadster.

Oh before you start bitching my main car is an mr2 mk2 :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”