faded/grey interior door handles

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

tomsky

faded/grey interior door handles

Post by tomsky »

have tried all the advice listed previously on trying to improve the appearence of the handles that open the door from the interior, including scraping, cleaning with spirits, cutting polish etc still go back to looking bad in a few days later.

Most peoples seem to be similar to mine fairly faded/discoloured. My interior is pretty good overall and cant help feeling it would smarten it up if they could be sprayed or restored in some way, has anyone tried any of the plasticote products on them as have had good results on other things also are they hard to remove if needed to paint?

thanks all
Charged
IMOC Committee

Re: faded/grey interior door handles

Post by Charged »

I've always gone with the scratching approach.

Have you tried a Toyota dealer to see if its something you can buy?

Ollie
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
Negativvv

Post by Negativvv »

I used Halfords interior spray which seems to have magically restored colour to greyed out parts of my interior. Including the ashtray (which had faded from black to green) and the whiteish door handles which went back to shiny black!

This was about a month ago and it still seems to be going strong, altho occasional reapplications cant hurt!

You could try some back to black or whatever its called, the stuff your supposed to use on exterior bumpers. Its a strong as anything but might stain stuff if you over apply it! :roll:
tomsky

Post by tomsky »

thanks, i'll definately give the halfords product a try first before thinking about dismantling the door mech to get the handles out to spray which doesnt seem like much fun!
Jaysith

Post by Jaysith »

i sprayed mine with "black in a flash", not much joy there :(

(although it brought up other interior parts very nicely! rain made it come off the bumper easily though)
jrleech

Post by jrleech »

Someone reckoned that if you heat them up (with something like a hot air gun), let them cool, and do that a few times, it brings the colour back out. Not tried it though..... worth a try.
Chunky Monkey

Post by Chunky Monkey »

If all else fails, rub them down, grab some plastic primer & satin black (although not Halfords stuff, p1$$ and Cats come to mind) and give 'em a light dusting
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

meguires trim detialer works when i do the shows.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”