[Mk2] [NA] NA to Turbo conversion advice needed

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Gouda

[Mk2] [NA] NA to Turbo conversion advice needed

Post by Gouda »

Advice needed please.

Just managed to procure myself a 1992 Turbo front end write of with the intention of converting my 1991 NA to a tubby by means of swapping the back ends over.

First of all is this possible, i.e. is there any incompatibility issues between the 1992 turbo and a 1991 NA.

Secondly what exactly do i need to take of the donor car other than the obvious engine, wiring loom, gearbox, driveshaft's, hubs, intercooler, fuel tank and associated engine bay ancillaries. i.e. is there anything silly like an interior light bulb or front bumper mounting screw (you know what i mean) i need to swap over.

Thirdly does anyone have any advice that will make the whole transition go a little smoother.

And finally a pre-emptive thank you for any advance received.

Gouda
JAP BOY

Re: [Mk2] [NA] NA to Turbo conversion advice needed

Post by JAP BOY »

Gouda!
If its definately a REv2 electric speedo then you've got to run a wire so that the Cluster can recieve the pulses from the gear box to give you a speed reading!

Also there are some cars which are 92 tubbies which have still got cable driven speedos so just have a quick look hopefully the advise has been of some use also just change your fuel pump no need to take the old fuel tank off the donor car!

Also you will need to shorten your Accelerator cable as the N/As are quite long good luck!

Also your fog lights will need a wire running to them to work give Rogue Motor sport a buzz :D
Gouda

Post by Gouda »

Thanks for the advice dude,

I'll try and rescue the accelerator cable from the donor car.

Do you mean the rear fog light?
Lewis Jay

Post by Lewis Jay »

You can use the N/A cable, just need to adjust the bracket.

Is the N/A a U.K or import, will be easier if its a a import for the wiring.

If its a U.K you need to mess about with rear fog light, speedo and dash wiring depending if you want the tubby dash in your car. If its a import its just the speedo and dash.

You will need a engine hoist atleast.
nisnos

Post by nisnos »

to help you - the fuel pumps from na and turbo are the same iirc so dont change the tank for th sake of it!!
Gouda

Post by Gouda »

Thanks for the advice people, been muchos help.

Thankfully my car is an import so i dont think i will have to mess around with the fog light hassle, already been done by the company that imported the vehicle.

Was under the impression the fuel pump was different as the engine needs more fuel to go with the additional air, could be wrong though.
Andy K

Post by Andy K »

Have a look at this in the knowledge base: http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/kb.php?mode=article&k=55

I wrote it a while back. Not totally applicable to you, but may help.

regards

Andy
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

nisnos wrote:to help you - the fuel pumps from na and turbo are the same iirc so dont change the tank for th sake of it!!

The fuel pumps are not the same.

Patrick
JAP BOY

Post by JAP BOY »

Lewis mate the Accelerator cable for the tubby is a fair bit shorter!
May be Rogue can shed some light on this
Gouda

Post by Gouda »

Thanks very much Andy for the link to the 'how to guide', i've now read it a couple of times.

Didnt think it would be that hard, everything else i have tackled on the car (excluding the rear arb bushes) has been realy easy. Toyota realy do know how to design cars for ease of mantanance.

This friday and saturday will be spent down at the unit striping of all the bits from the donor car and replacing all the service items i want to, cambelt, clutch, ingnition components etc...
might as well do them with the engine out of the car.

Thanks again people, any further advice will be greatfuly received.

Gouda,
Gouda

Post by Gouda »

Further to my initial question whilst the engine is out of the car is there anything i can be doing it to pep it up a bit.

Any cheaky little tweaks i can do, i have heard the a turbo supra uses the same turbo but has a slightly larger compresser dont know how true this is, things like that.

Thanks.
JAP BOY

Post by JAP BOY »

Gouda you may want to install some piping for the gauges while there is no engine in eg: Oil Pressure / Boost Piping little bits which are far easier to do with the motor out!

Treat the donor engine to a full service i.e. cambelt change maybe oil+filter change definately if the head gasket needs changing or if you want to stick maybe a uprated clutch/Flywheel all this is better done if the engine is out of the car! :)

Hope this helps
Lewis Jay

Post by Lewis Jay »

Jap Boy ref. the accelerator cable it will fit I did it on my car. :wink:

Do the intercooler and downpipe/decat with engine out its alot easier no knuckle rash. :shock:

Full service and cambelt change with engine out will save you alot of hassle too.

Turbo if you got the cash.

Personally I would advice getting it running first see what you break/snap and scuff during the swap then go from there.

Enjoy. \:D/
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

no-one mentioned the gear selector cables :thumleft:

And it's fine with the NA acc cable I have always found.
Lewis Jay

Post by Lewis Jay »

Whats up with the gear selector cables?

Mine fitted o.k \:D/
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

do you not find the gearstick sits a bit to the left?
Lewis Jay

Post by Lewis Jay »

No to the right, hehe, but I can live with it.

Bushes or something right?
Gouda

Post by Gouda »

The engine was running fine before I took it out of the car, around 3K miles ago the head gasket was replaced and the head was skimmed, the cam belt was changed but I don’t think the clutch or tensioner + idler pulleys were changed. These I was going to do along with an oil change.

Was also intending to replace the oil pressure sensor and add an additional boost gauge and oil pressure/temp gauge.

Thanks for the advice peps.

Any other tweaks I can be doing to this thing.
gtech

Post by gtech »

Tubby gear change cables are a different length to the NA Cables, you really need to fit the Tubby cables for correct positioning and usability.

You don't need to rewire dash, if you have cable operated speedo, you just need the drive unit from a Rev 1 tubby gearbox, thats the easiest way.

I did Rev 1 NA to Rev 3 Tubby and all was plug n play, only one wire caused an issue, which turned the dash light for the fog light on when I pressed the brake, was a matter of snipping 1 wire.

Everything else fitted fine, inc accelerator cable.

You will need the complete rear clip:

Engine
Gearbox
Shafts
Hubs
ECU
Wiring loom from passenger footwell all the way through to the rear

Whilst engine is out of the car, take the opportunity to do:
Cambelt change
Tensioner
Possibly water pump
and check out all the seals
Oh the "Hose from Hell", check the pipe, in fact I think Toyota are cheap enough for the HFH so change it anyway .

Cannot think of anything else but sure someone will add.

HTH
Berk Tech IC, Berk Tech Downpipe, Berk Tech Exhaust, ARC Induction System, DevilsOwn Water/Meth Injection (Pre & Post turbo). TRD Cold Pipe, EMS Powered Digital Boost Gauge, TRD Strut Braces, Innovate O2, Blitz SBC i-color EBC - "ARCH ROLLER FOR HIRE"

Return to “Modifications”