My new addition

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Sidewinder

My new addition

Post by Sidewinder »

Well, after seven years and three Mk2s, I've finally bought myself a Mk1!

White, F-reg, leather interior, and a T-bar jobbie. Amazing - four MR2s and (completely unintentionally) three of them happen to be white...

She has the usual rusty arch issues and cold idles at 2000rpm, but has a Toyota service history up until 124000 miles, and drives really nicely. For a 17/18 year old car the condition is outstanding.

Not bad for £280! :D

My first time in a Mk1, and I can't get over how light and chuckable it is in comparison to my Mk2 Turbo - I now see what you Mk1 owners have been going on about for so long! :lol: However, no chance of getting rid of the Turbo as I'm still way too much in love with it...

Just going to declare SORN and dry-dock her whilst I get a handle on the tinworm before it gets out of hand. Oh, and pay a little bit more attention to the Mk1s at JAE this year... :eye:
Mk2 NA Rev1 -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev2 -*- Mk1 NA -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev 3 = all gone!

Re: My new addition

Post by tonigmr2 »

Ha ha well done on that one! Our world domination plan progresses nicely... :eye:

Look forward to seeing it. :thumleft:
T
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

Sidewinder wrote:Well, after seven years and three Mk2s, I've finally bought myself a Mk1!

Top man Nige, you know it makes sense! :thumleft:

Just going to declare SORN and dry-dock her whilst I get a handle on the tinworm before it gets out of hand.

No, no, no , no , NO! :evil:

SORNing cars is very dangerous! It might never see the road again....

I had a bit of tinworm on my X1/9. I sorned it for a "month". Four EDIT: "years" later it's still off the road.... :(
Last edited by Icsunonove on Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monkeymax

Post by monkeymax »

Nice one! But: :ttiwwp:
Where do people find all these bargain Mk1s from?! :)

Icsunonove wrote:SORNing cars is very dangerous! It might never see the road again....

I had a bit of tinworm on my X1/9. I sorned it for a "month". Four later it's still off the road.... :(

Do you mean four months or years, Tom? :)

Although I do agree - I SORNed mine for a couple of months over December and January to let the worst months pass and save a bit of money. 4 months on and I'm still having to do work on it to get it through the MOT to re-tax it - and having it sit 50 miles away makes this much more difficult and painful!
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

:oops: years
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

Nice one Nige :thumleft:

Glad you made the right choice of car :wink: ('im not biased or anything..... LOL)

I'll have to get to a northants meet so you can bring it out for a play with Tango! (I may fair better than againts your tubby LOL)

hope you get it fixed up soon :pray:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Cold idle at 2000rpm is normal. As long as it drops to a proper warm idle speed its fine.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

Wow! Thanks for your responses, guys (and gals!)! I wasn't really expecting it! LOL :thumleft:

The only photos I have are from the seller's original advert:

Surprisingly nippy for a 1.6, and I now take back everything I said previously about Mk1s... :lol: Her performance last night on the way home against my mate's Mk2 BEAMS was an eyebrow-lifter, and I can now see the appeal of the Mk1 as I was grinning from ear-to-ear the entire time.

Bit of a bummer about taking her off the road - I really don't want to - but I need to sort my finances out as my lowly wages won't allow me to run my Honda barge, my tubby, and the Mk1 at the same time. When Mrs Nige and I decide to have kids I'll have to sell the tubby anyway, so the Mk1 will definately hit the road then. Unless I decide to strip her out and use her as a track/drag car... :eye:

Post by midenginedmaniac »

I agree with lauren :shock: 2K is normal. It shoud drop to 1K within 5 mins max on a cold day or sooner if its mild. I have one of the rare systems that still work. :D

Dont sorn it. Cover the arches with waxol and drive it.

No the real question. The are much better than a MK2 in the twisties right and just as quick. :-$
HT

Post by HT »

Sidewinder wrote:Wow! Thanks for your responses, guys (and gals!)! I wasn't really expecting it! LOL :thumleft:

The only photos I have are from the seller's original advert:
Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i128/ ... MR2800.jpg

Surprisingly nippy for a 1.6, and I now take back everything I said previously about Mk1s... :lol: Her performance last night on the way home against my mate's Mk2 BEAMS was an eyebrow-lifter, and I can now see the appeal of the Mk1 as I was grinning from ear-to-ear the entire time.

Bit of a bummer about taking her off the road - I really don't want to - but I need to sort my finances out as my lowly wages won't allow me to run my Honda barge, my tubby, and the Mk1 at the same time. When Mrs Nige and I decide to have kids I'll have to sell the tubby anyway, so the Mk1 will definately hit the road then. Unless I decide to strip her out and use her as a track/drag car... :eye:

Looks really tidy, quite the bargain for £280!! Mk1's aren't the quickest things around but have enough power & flexiability in a real world sense to be loads more fun than a lot of higher powered machinery :thumleft:
reanimation

Post by reanimation »

Nice one!

I was rushed to remove mine from my dads and get it on the road, it cost me, and cost me time off work, but i'm glad its on that road rather than another unfinished project. good luck with it. ;)
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

Sidewinder wrote:Surprisingly nippy for a 1.6, and I now take back everything I said previously about Mk1s... :lol: Her performance last night on the way home against my mate's Mk2 BEAMS was an eyebrow-lifter, and I can now see the appeal of the Mk1 as I was grinning from ear-to-ear the entire time.

Glad you're enjoying driving it :thumleft:

Just patch it up and keep it on the road, and give the tubby some time off for a bit. the tubby may fair better than a mk1 will do if left stood for a while.
Our track car (with new MOT) is held together with duct tape, but it still puts a smile on our faces.
If you need a local/ish garage who know mk1's - then try Richard at Bluestreak (near sixfields)
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

Thanks for the encouragement/info Jo! :thumleft:

After much inspection tonight, it needs too much doing to it to warrant taking the tubby off the road. :cry:

Two new front wings (they're absolutely rotten throughout), the rear arches need much attention, four new tyres, and the 2nd and 4th gear selection is as smooth as a gravel drive. The brakes are poor (but I may be too used to the brakes on my tubby), too.

Still...I can't complain for the money, and I've got space in my garage next to the tubby so she won't get lonely! :D A nice project car for the summer months, methinks.

Post by mr2mk1chick »

Sidewinder wrote:Two new front wings (they're absolutely rotten throughout), the rear arches need much attention, four new tyres, and the 2nd and 4th gear selection is as smooth as a gravel drive. The brakes are poor (but I may be too used to the brakes on my tubby), too.

Sounds like most bargain mk1's - but no doubt will be a fun project. Its all part of the joys of mk1 ownership :mrgreen:
Barkes prob just need a service: new fluid (dot 5.1), free up the calipers (lithuim grease slides) , maybe change pads - jobs-a-goodun' :thumleft:
not sure about gear linkages - not doen this myself, but maybe a gearbox oil change is due too.... :-k
Are you any good at welding? or are you gettign replacement new panels?

maybe you just need to bodge up the bodywork and run it as a track beast :twisted:

ahhh the joys of mk1s 8)
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

mr2mk1chick wrote:Are you any good at welding? or are you gettign replacement new panels?

I've never touched a welder in my life, but I think that's about to change this year! :lol: Looking at the car again tonight (had to turn it round to get the tubby out), I guess that I've got to do a mixed bag of welding and replacement panels.

mr2mk1chick wrote:maybe you just need to bodge up the bodywork and run it as a track beast :twisted: ahhh the joys of mk1s 8)

Ha ha! Yeah, I'm sorely tempted to strip all non-essentials out to get the weight right down, buy a trailer, and have lots of fun at Santa Pod until the engine goes bang! \:D/

[Waits for wraith of Lauren for turning a Mk1 into a Straight Line Junkie car :wink: ]
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Sidewinder wrote:Ha ha! Yeah, I'm sorely tempted to strip all non-essentials out to get the weight right down, buy a trailer, and have lots of fun at Santa Pod until the engine goes bang! \:D/

[Waits for wraith of Lauren for turning a Mk1 into a Straight Line Junkie car :wink: ]

I'm not convinced that you'd get the most out of it, driving up and down a runway, not really what the car is about. But whatever turns you on i guess.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
System-G

Post by System-G »

Hiyup Nige 8)

Obviously ready about your purchase on Northants Jap.

Welcome along to the MK1 Club Section 8)

We really need to get you out of that straight-line way of thinking :wink: :lol:
Would be interesting to see what you could get the car to do in a straightline, but I think it would be more fun for you if you get the power up and handling sorted for twisties :wink:
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

Hey Garrick!

Yeah, I know what you (and Lauren) mean about the straightline thing, but will see how things go when I get some more time on my hands this summer...and then a trailer to carry the car! Still early days... 8)

Lauren wrote:driving up and down a runway
As opposed to just 'round and round a track'? :wink: :clown: Joke...JOKE!!

Post by superchargedsam »

nice purchase and bargain price too! once that bodyworks done slot in a 3sgte or 3vzfe! u get the best of both worlds then, the awesome MK1 handling and the awesome MK2 power!
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

Sidewinder wrote:Hey Garrick!

Yeah, I know what you (and Lauren) mean about the straightline thing, but will see how things go when I get some more time on my hands this summer...and then a trailer to carry the car! Still early days... 8)

Lauren wrote:driving up and down a runway
As opposed to just 'round and round a track'? :wink: :clown: Joke...JOKE!!

Do both :thumleft:

best of both then :tongue: (I do)

.....anyway, bruntingthorpe is not too far from you, nor donny for that matter.... :wink:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”