Bedford Aerodrome opinions?

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

thepasty

Re: Bedford Aerodrome opinions?

Post by thepasty »

I get told off for 'gooning', my old man pays for the tyres and doesnt take kindly to me burning rubber. [-X
RichardPON

Post by RichardPON »

I've done 16 trackdays at Bedford so far, and I love it!

Yes, it's not got the spectacular corners and height/camber changes of Donnington or Brands, but it's just such a pleasurable day there. The staff are all really friendly, the circuit itself is really well maintained, and the facilities are excellent.

I managed to commit the track to memory after a few laps, and I find it really easy to drive there......... but that now comes from experience I suppose.

Been lucky enough to drive some interesting machinery round there, and the MR2 didn't disappoint, proving quite fun - left a fair bit of rubber dotted around various corners too. It's also the only circuit I'll try drifting at high speed, as the run off is so huge.

Got a ton of video footgate in car in various vehicles on the hard drive, so may get some uploaded.

As a side note, the LoT are really professional on their trackdays, especially at Bedford. Don't underestimate them either. I know two regulars that run VAG Turbo engined models and they are seriously fast round there!
thepasty

Post by thepasty »

Weather is looking top notch for saturday \:D/

I managed to sort a camera mount too so will also upload some footage upon my return.
thepasty

Post by thepasty »

Saturday was awesome, I really liked the bedford track and the 2T did much better against those pesky elises than I thought it would.

Once we'd learnt the lines and found the limits of the car we were flying... we suffered heavily from understeer tho, with Pilots on the front we thought they'd stick like glue, however post track inspection suggests it was either tyre pressure, not enough neg camber or a combination of the both.

Those LoT guys can certainly drive, having said that I've never seen so many spins on a track day, they were going off left right and centre!

These couple of clips gives you some idea...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCVjUG9pBvw
lower

Post by lower »

They tend to let you spin at bedford without black flagging you because there is so much run off.

Did you slow down when that guy span in front of you? looked pretty close!
thepasty

Post by thepasty »

I slowed down as much as I could, If I'd stamped on the brakes I would have spun too.

I just waited untill I was sure where he was going then went the opposite direction... yeah it was pretty close :shock:
RichardPON

Post by RichardPON »

You did well to avoid that one, as a lot of people's natural reaction would have been to go the other way.

One of the members on mr2oc span through the same corner and ended upfollowing that lotus, but stopping in the gravle trap, 4 feet short of the crash barrier!

That was a moment and a half!
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

My first time at bedford there was a blue 360 that ended up in that trap 3 times.

Some people, there's ample room to catch on that corner.
thepasty

Post by thepasty »

I saw 5 or 6 cars spin on that corner, some more than once, a couple came pretty close to the barriers...

the first clip on my vid clip, that guy only missed the metal barrier that protects the exit to the pit lane by a few feet... lucky chap!

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”