Mk2 MR2 GT v Honda S2000

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

Peter C

Mk2 MR2 GT v Honda S2000

Post by Peter C »

Not your usual boy racer story this, apology for lack of "Bazza" content.

I've had my MR2 for about 5 years and more recently I've treated myself to a Honda S2000. Whilst initially I was overwhelmed as to how cool the Honda is, 3k miles and 2 months later I can honestly say that my old faithful (almost 17 years old!) MR2 is the more rewarding car to own and drive.

The S2000 is faster (last week I clocked it at 156mph on a stretch of autobahn south of Berlin), and hits 60 in 6 secs flat (as opposed to 6.7 secs for the MR2). The Honda's chassis is more suited to silly driving, getting the back end to drift couldn't be easier, whilst in my MR2 I've learnt to deal with snap oversteer and (relative) lack of power over the years. All said and done the MR2 has character and soul, which the Honda is totally devoid of, making the ownership experience totally uninvolving (you won't see me on the S2k forum!).

The Honda stays in garage and only gets used in good weather (not that often lately!), which is a total compromise. The MR2, parked on the drive isn't put off by a spot of rain and can be used and parked up almost anywhere without fear of vandalism.

Cut a short story short, stick with your old MR2s boys and girls, but if you don't believe me come and view my S2000 in May 07, as it will definitely be in the AutoTrader looking for a new home.

Peter
Gordy

Re: Mk2 MR2 GT v Honda S2000

Post by Gordy »

There are a lot of people around comparing and contrasting MR2s with cars that they have not driven. It makes a nice change to see some balanced opinion from someone who actually owns both. I know it's subjective, but I find it interesting. Thanks for the post.
splashnatz

Post by splashnatz »

kind of upset to hear that the s2000 magic wore off so quickly, they're beautiful looking cars.
RussT

Post by RussT »

My mate had one too, was nice but he got bored also, got a Focus ST instead (discounted as he works for Jag)
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

Which MR2 do you have exactly?

Mikejc
Andy Champ

Post by Andy Champ »

Peter C wrote:Cut a short story short, stick with your old MR2s boys and girls

I got as far as the showroom, and then gave up.

Like many cars, the S2000 seems to be designed for people of up to 6ft. At 6-1, I wasn't quite comfortable in it, and that was that.

Just like the MGF, MX5, New Celica, Mk2 MR2, GTO (Mitsi that is), Z3...

My shortlist ended up with Mk2 MR2, old Celica, FTO (yes, more room than the GTO!).

The FTO was uncomfortably noisy inside. SWAMBO said the Celica was too practical (the kids could come!) so...

The new MX5 and Z4 have come out since, I haven't tried them. Dont need to yet!

Andy
Bibbs

Post by Bibbs »

I also went from an MR2 to an S2000. My MR2 was a Rev2 Tubby (~270/280bhp)

I've felt the exact opposite. Due to certain reasons I've been driving both of late.

The MR2 just feels softer, older and not as much fun anymore. Boost is awesome, but the lag is a nightmare (never noticed when it was my only car). Seeing 4 or 5 MR2's of a day means there is no exclucivity like there was. And the car just feels wrong now for having fun in.

The S2000 is a great car to just throw about and have fun in, it's not as fast in a straight line as the MR2. But nowdays with traffic jams and police about, I don't tend to nail cars up and down dual carridgeways like I used to.

I still love my MR2, it's still got a big place in my heart. But the S2000 is defo the new toy still (and it's about 18 months in my possesion) and I know every time I get out of the drivers seat I'll be grinning (and I'm 6'4").
Last edited by Bibbs on Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter C

MR2

Post by Peter C »

Andy,

I'm 6'2" and almost 16 stone. Initially I thought the driving position was cramped but I soon got use to it and since I've found myself moving the seat forward in the MR2.

MikeJC,

I think we've exchanged messages before. I'm a veteran from the old IMOC of 3 years ago. I still have the same MR2, 1990 Mk2 Rev1 GTi16.

Peter
Peter C

Bibbs

Post by Peter C »

Bibbs,

The main issue I have with the S2000 is the engine and gearbox installation. You mention your MR2 suffers from lag (I obviously don't have that problem), but surely you must find the S2000's 9k red line and lack of pace below 6k revs annoying! Also, I seem to forever be changing gears, where as my naturally aspirated MR2 pulls hard from well below 3k, regardless of what gear I'm in.

The S2000 is a great car, no argument there, but for me it's all or nothing, and as you've said, getting all from the Honda (on public roads) is not a great idea.

What I didn't make clear is that I have preference for older cars (why did I buy an S2000 I hear you say?) and my soon to be 17 year old MR2 is practical enough to use daily but old enough to be special.

Peter
Bibbs

Post by Bibbs »

No problems with your choice, we all like different things - and that's just the mk2 fraternity. :wink:

I had a Rev1 NA before my turbo, so I know what driving the NA MR2 is like - but there is a 5 year gap between that and the S2000, so no back to back comparisons.

The S2000's "lag" I don't think is that bad, The problem is that the kick of the powerband at 4k is so large you think that the below 4k is rubbish. It's actually comparable with any other 2.0 engine (I think it's about 160/170bhp @ 6,000 rpm). But I do most of my commuting in first gear, and with a de-cat and 2.5" straight through pipe, it's bike like up and down the high street.

I'm a great fan of the drive it like you stole it style, all other cars I drive now feel tame and compromised. I'm loving the keeping it on the boil and heal and toeing into every roundabout.

I find the car so much more stable on (and over) the limit and the proper suspension setup really shows. I also think that the car is as stiff (if not more so) than my old T-Bar.

There are a few short comings though, when compared to the MR2.

Tunability .. Okay, it's not the quickest thing out there by a long shot, but it's so hard to get anything more.
Praticality .. At 6'4", I've actually got in the boot of an MR2 (was drunk) to get a lift home .. the S2000 has nothing, I packed for JAE, and then couldn't take a passenger.

For me, the MR2 is looking dated, and it's feeling it too. But I'm lucky that the GF bought my MR2, so we can pootle about in both :lol:
Peter C

Bibbs

Post by Peter C »

Bibbs,

I wouldn't dare to modify the S2000. Saying that my MR2 is standard aside from a Mongoose exhaust and a K&N filter. Guess I'm getting old.

I agree with you that the S2000's dynamics are superb. I drove across Europe last week (Poland and back) and the way the Honda feels at 130mph+ speeds is amazing. At 155mph it felt totally stable, I almost felt like I could let go of the steering wheel! The MR2's front end gets light at anything over 120mph and by 145mph (according to the speedo) I had to concentrate hard to keep the car in a straight line.

The two cars are totally different interpretations of what a sports car should be and a decade of development separates the designs. To name one difference, bear in mind that my MR2 runs on high wall 14" alloys and does not benefit from fat low profile Bridgestones, as the Honda does.

I'm keeping both until next summer (I'll never sell the MR2, it's not worth much and insurance is cheap - limited mileage second car policy) but as I said before, I won't miss the S2000 when it's gone. Ok, maybe just a little!

Peter
Bibbs

Post by Bibbs »

My NA was also one of the 14" wheeled wonders (what were they thinking!?). The mk2 comes from the era of the reliable Toyota.

I once said (and also posted on a forum) that I'd not mod the S2000. That seems like a long time ago.

But then I remember what my tubby was like where I'm still tweaking, even though it's not mine.

My old MR2 I'll always want on the drive. I've told the GF, no matter what happens, I want to keep that car. It's special to me. But we all move on. The thing that gets me is that I still don't feel the mk3 was the natural progression for us mk2 owners wanting to get a new car.

The S2000 for some, like me, will feel liek a step up :) . But for some, like you, it'll feel soulless :eye: :wink: .
Gordy

Post by Gordy »

At 6'4", I've actually got in the boot of an MR2 (was drunk) to get a lift home

Top bloke :D
lower

Post by lower »

I'm the same as Bibbs. I went from a rev2 turbo to my s2k and it was a step change. It took me a while to get used to the engine, but once you realise that you have to shift the normal driving rev range up by 2-3k revs, it feels very natural and easy to drive. The only problem is that you end up revving the boobs off any other car you drive.

I used to love my mr2, but replaced that with an s2k. I'm now on my second s2k, which says it all for me. It's also great on the track, way better than my mr2 was.
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

lower wrote:I'm now on my second s2k, which says it all for me.

Didn't you break the first one?

:whistle:

Rogue
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

Rogue wrote:

Rogue

For an engine that revs to 9k they're surprisingly reliable, isn't the common knowledge that after around 8500 things get really difficult to control?

I almost bought an s2000 but couldn't get confortable in the cabin, i like the wheel very close to me but i'm 6'3 so it rarely happens, in my track mr2 i've a huge adjustable spacer!

I bought a CTR instead which is a great daily imo. To get the most out of it you do really have to drive it like you stole it but people don't appreciate the car is still strong low down the rpm range and for daily driving I rarely have to 'vtec' it to make better than most progress (though i still find myself doing it!)

Of course when you want a thrash keeping it between 7000-8400rpm just adds to the enjoyment!
lower

Post by lower »

Only the unbreakable Vtec engine :-$

luckily honda paid for the repalcement. I wouldn't have bought another one if i'd have had to stump up the £8k for a new one.............

Rogue wrote:

Rogue
mr2ange

Post by mr2ange »

Seeing 4 or 5 MR2's of a day means there is no exclucivity like there was.

thats why i'll never sell my old mk1, its now old enough to be unique again :) oh, and the fact it has a snail shell under the hood ;)
Bibbs

Post by Bibbs »

mr2ange wrote:thats why i'll never sell my old mk1, its now old enough to be unique again :) oh, and the fact it has a snail shell under the hood ;)

I like the old mk1 .. I just can't get on with piano ties, houndstooth jackets with the sleeves rolled up and Duran Duran playing on the tape deck. :wink: :lol:
mr2ange

Post by mr2ange »

Lol, Hehe i dont care much for ties / jackets etc...

but i enjoy being able to crank up the duran duran once in a while and pretend it is the 80's still ;)

Although i've somewhat modenised my little metal wedge, take a look :)

http://www.twincam.org/forums/index.php ... 21493[url]

Return to “Driving Experiences”