light steering

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

peterc

light steering

Post by peterc »

Hi noticed steering bcomes extremely light at high speeds almost feels like the front wheels are lifting off the road. is this due to delimiting? i heard there is a way to fix this problem now ? ta peter
Stretchermunkey

Re: light steering

Post by Stretchermunkey »

Hi Peter, i've had a similar problem (I think). I have been told the lightness on my car is due to the fact that when the speedo was adjusted for UK use, It was done on the cheap. Subsiquently the power steering is always on, when it should be completely off by about 50 - 60 mph. I am buying a gizmo from S-bits which should rectify the problem. easy to fit apparently.
Hope this help
Cheers Steve
peterc

Post by peterc »

Hi Steve that sounds like what i heard, if u dont mind let me know how u get on with this mod thanks peter
Gouda

Post by Gouda »

I was under the impression the power steering only goes down to about 60% between 50-60mph not of completely.

I wish it would turn of completely over 50, it's gets quite unnerving when your doing over a tone especially on bumpy roads.
Stretchermunkey

Post by Stretchermunkey »

Hi,
I may be wrong about the steering going off completely above a certain speed,I'm not entirely sure but you get the idea. I will let you know if the gizmo fixes the problem.
steve
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

I would also like to know, my Rev1 steering was very light thrashing down some lanes at 60 mph. Didn't feel in control at all, started contemplating unplugging the power steering
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
Ed

Post by Ed »

The amount of power steering is reduced at higher speeds but it is not turned off altogether even at silly speeds.

Some of the cheap delimeters and speedo convertors can cause the steering to feel light. The MK2 does become very light in the steering at higher speeds that's why they added the little front spoilers that sits in front of the front wheels from the Rev4(I think) onwards.

I don't think any of these would have caused your problem though Malcolm because at 60ish it should feel stable and not light and floaty.

Return to “Mechanical”