discoloured interior door handles Mk1

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

tomsky

discoloured interior door handles Mk1

Post by tomsky »

Hi my mk1 interior is in good nick but one thing that lets it down and guess like many of you is the rather discoloured interior door openers which dont seem to respond to any kind of cleaning and are now a mixed dull grey colour. Thought would be good to spray them silver or something to tidy them up and wondered if anyone else has had a go at this or how easy getting them out would be to do a bit of work on them?

cheers on any thoughts
Lunarmatic

Re: discoloured interior door handles Mk1

Post by Lunarmatic »

before you go and buy any fancy cleaning products try this. give them a gentle scratch with your fingernail. you may well find that the grey discolouration isn't due to faded plastic but is just a build up of general gunk (sweat etc.). You should be able to get them back to shiny black if this is the case!

I was told this little trick by someone, thought it was a bit crazy but tried it out and it works! So save your pennies and get scratchin'!
Jimbo_Jet

Post by Jimbo_Jet »

I'll second that, I've done the same on mine, and I thought I was the only one :lol: scratch it with your thumnail and it'll cut through the grey surface to leave a darker surface below. Bonkers I know, but it works! :wink:
tomsky

Post by tomsky »

ok thanks will try that have cleaned them a bit as my first thought was maybe it was just gunk, seemed to improve it a little but maybe I didnt try hard enough. What would you guys recommend to get it off with if this is the case

cheers

Tom
Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve

Post by Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve »

Maybe a very fine grade of wet and dry would do the same thing,save using your nails!
I have used back to black,which makes them look good for a very short while.
I will give wet and dry a go!
Chunky Monkey

Post by Chunky Monkey »

what about some fine cutting paste? that'd do the same thing??
ldavies83

Post by ldavies83 »

I used AutoGlym Bumper Care, it brought the rear black strips on the rear quarter outside up beautifully, so I thought I might aswell use it on the inside handles, worked a treat :thumleft:
chunkymonkey909

Post by chunkymonkey909 »

You could try using a plastic dye spray which is available from Halfords. It worked well on my handles and door cards.
leicestermr2

Post by leicestermr2 »

as a former valeter and smart repair technician,we used to use a heat gun on discoloured plastic like bumpers and trim so im sure it would work on them but obviously dont hold heat gun on for too long!
Warm it up let it cool down and keep repeating it.It worked on all vauxhall bumpers etc,used to charge a few quid aswell,lol
You might wanna try wd40 aswell really soak them and wipe off with a microfibre cloth.Dont use sandpaper as all you will do is take the shine off underneath!

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”