Eeek, Gearbox problems....

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ldavies83

Eeek, Gearbox problems....

Post by ldavies83 »

Ok Ok, everyone said remove the filler plug first, and I did. I cant help it if I'm a bit dopy today a removed the wrong filler plug! it was a 17mm one on top of the gearbox selection rod.

I was a bit dubious anyway, slackened off the draining plug, and started letting it drain, oil was quite clean, however I though I would just make sure it was the right filler hole, and it wasnt the right one ](*,)

Found correct one, cant get it off, tried deep sockets, shallow sockets, WD40, Propane torch (cant get enough heat into the metal),mole grips etc!

So I'm faced with the prospect of attempting to fill the gearbox in another hole.....

Anyone got suggestions as to where I can fill the box?? speedo cable? The reversing switch looks like a pig to get to with spanners, so what about that little 17mm bolt at the top of the gearbox next to the battery? PLEEEEEEAAAAASEEE help me, I need to get to the trackday!!

Cheers,

L.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: Eeek, Gearbox problems....

Post by Lauren »

Leigh, there is another way to fill it, though i must admit i've always used the proper fill hole, but as long as you can get the oil into the box thats what matters really. Sorry i can't help more.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
ldavies83

Post by ldavies83 »

Wow, that was quick! Thanks Lauren, Wheres Speedy when you need him!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

ldavies83 wrote:Wow, that was quick! Thanks Lauren, Wheres Speedy when you need him!

Have you tried a 2foot breaker bar on the fill hole? This is what i've always used.

Obviously be careful.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
ldavies83

Post by ldavies83 »

No I havent, problem is I'm using a hex socket, not a flat type.

Reading through the BGB it looks like I could go through either the speedo cable (could be messy)

Or even this nut at the top near the battery its referred to as a "Lock Bolt" for holding the shift fork assembly.

Whats bugging me is it looks a different colour for the stuff that was drained...

I'll have another show with the fill hole, using a breaker bar and a imperial sized socket instead. It might just work
mart1975

Post by mart1975 »

i shreaded both bolts on my 2 gearboxes, theyre a nightmare. the other filler bolt is on the top of the gearbox underneath what i think is the thermostat though there is no sure way of knowing the correct amount of fluid this way.
anna

Post by anna »

Whatever you do DON'T FORCE THE FILLER PLUG!!!!!!!!!

Speedy did that, except he took part of the gearbox off with it (eak!) what a mess, all purpose putty all over the place.

IIRC there is a plug on the top of the gearbox, and this is where we refilled the silver slug's from - seemed to come out above some selector linkage or other :-k

If you have the old gear oil, measure how much you have, and refil that much carefully measure, or if you don't refill according to capacity specs... whatever they are
ldavies83

Post by ldavies83 »

Thanks for all the suggestions guys and gals. Managed to sort it. I've attached piccies and a mini how to below because I'm sure I wont be the last person to get in a sticky wicket on this one!

Basically I used the top "Lock Bolt" on the shift fork assembly, just to the left of the thermostat. I basically poured it in there and left the drain plug off to see if clean oil came out, and sure enough it did! \:D/

I measured the oil going in with a measuring jug, I couldnt get a firm value on the amount to go in, some posts say 2.6 litres, others 2.7, the Haynes manual says 2.3 litres (possibly US Litres :-k), so I put 2.5 Litres in and I can quite easily add more should I need to (I havent had the chance to check the BGB yet)

Piccies in next post:
ldavies83

Post by ldavies83 »

Just in case anyone else is lost, and cant find the filler location (the BGB shows it in the technical drawing, but I could visualise it), Its facing the front of the vehicle halfway up, and its a 24mm bolt

Me attempting to blowtorch it off (didnt work!)

Location of the Drain plug, again a 24mm bolt. Found at the bottom (obviously) on the passenger side of the car, easiest to take the wheel off for this job really.

Here is the bolt hole I got the oil in through, its a 17mm bolt, labelled as the "Lock Bolt" for the Selector Fork Assembly. (Located in the picture to the right of the battery, and to the left of the thermostat housing)

Here is my filling attachment! A Funnel, followed by a 12mm hose, followed by a stepdown hose to go into the hose, secured with a jubilee clip, techie eigh :eye:

crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

if it worked then its a great piece of engineering.ingenuity plus points for that man. =D>
bet it took hours to fill !
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Bet it was bl00dy cold work Leigh! I'm very glad to have a garage, although even that's been subzero! :santa:

Glad it's sorted. \:D/
anna

Post by anna »

Yup, thats the way we did it with the silver car. We used a squirty oil can thing to force the oil down the pipe, didn't take too long.
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

ldavies83 wrote:Wow, that was quick! Thanks Lauren, Wheres Speedy when you need him!

wow, nice to be wanted :)

I was out fixing my mr2! Oh well. Yes, beware the 2ft breaker bar on the filler plug if it doesn't want to go. I soaked ours in plusgas, then more plusgas, then more plusgas, and left it for a while. Then, I set to it with the breaker bar. It was coming out, and then there was an almighty bang, and I'd broken off part of the gearbox casing with the thread on it..

and I'm not the only joey to have managed it either :
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=112010

our original thread (I'll look out the pictures)
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=59129

Good job sorting it out anyway :thumleft:
tonigmr2 wrote:Fear me, for I am watching :clown:
ldavies83

Post by ldavies83 »

The first litre took piggin ages, almost 40 minutes! however I shortened the stepdown pipe to 4-5 cm (was originally 20!). The second litre went in about 10 minutes, and the 1/2 litre took 5 (obviously!)

I just thought eventually with my luck, Id shear the damn bolt off (bearing in mind I managed to shear a glow plug 5 months ago in my 3 year old corsa diesel ](*,) ), or crack the casing (I read annas/speedys thread last week in preparation!)

Still, took the car out tonight, no odd noises, shifts nicely (the same as before) and best of all, no leaks!

Thanks for your help guys, feel sorry for my poor car, its desparate for proper attention to bodywork, so much damn salt on the roads, looks filthy/pink, and its gotta do 300 miles roundtrip to the trackday, plus the trackday itself this week. I'll give her a heater next week! :)

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”