Number plates

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

hobbes

Number plates

Post by hobbes »

Does anyone know where I can have a rear number plate made up to fit my tubby? The jap number plates are a different shape to ours and the UK spec number plate I've got on it at the moment just looks daft with the big gaps at either side.

Legally (or otherwise) speaking, what should I be able to get away with without feeling the long arm of the law? There's not really enough width availabe to get the whole number plate in one row without making the letters really small - or is there? Help!

Ta.
Mike 'MR2' McHugh

Re: Number plates

Post by Mike 'MR2' McHugh »

My Dads mate makes our reg's up...all legit and legal. Do you want me to get a contact number ? its a proper company just incase you thought he does them in his shed.

mike
It goes..Uhn tiss Uhn tiss Uhn tiss
jasona

Post by jasona »

I'm interested to as I have a private plate I'm waiting to transfer - does anywhere make the jap shape plates ?
Last edited by jasona on Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike 'MR2' McHugh

Post by Mike 'MR2' McHugh »

Shouldt be a problem....my dads mate has asked me if i want some made up so i havent got the dealers name underneath and something else underneath.....im having www.imoc.co.uk at the bottom i think.....might have something else, any ideas ?
It goes..Uhn tiss Uhn tiss Uhn tiss
Grajey

Post by Grajey »

Just walk into Halfrauds and give them the plate size.

It's what I did.
Also gives the bonus of giving their HQ postcode and nothing local to you ( unless you live by Halfraud HQ of course).
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

A contact number would be great for the plates. Aren't Halfrauds getting all legit with plates these days? I was asking a mate of mine the other day about them and he said that they insist you bring in your reg. docs before they'll make you one up. Not that I'm trying to defraud anyone. but I thought they only did regulation sized plates.

While we're on the subject - does anyone know the position regarding adhesive number plates on the front (and do they look OK)? My car has a standard plate on the front too. It's attached to the nose by a black 'piece of plastic' (don't know it's propper name) which is about the size of a box of Swan Vesta. The result is that the plate flaps about like a snagged seagull at motorway speeds and I don't think it'll be long before it snaps off.
Hurstie1981

Post by Hurstie1981 »

There are certain letter sizes and spacing required to meet the law. There is meant to also be a plain yellow background on rear, white on front, no honeycomb, no holograms, and no writing behind. You need to produce your registration document on buying plates, as it was becoming a large crime. Many number plates are being stolen every day to clone vehicles. The postcode and makers name of the plate should be on the bottom centre of the plate. Any breach of these rules and you are liable for a £30 no endorsable fixed penalty notice.

Hope this helps.

Graham
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

........there is also specific font style too!!

and you are not supposed to change the order of the groups of characters, e.g. A123 BCD cannot become BCD 123A or whatever the convention is - you know what I mean!!

:lol:

So, basically you can't do sh1te

:roll:
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

I got my Jap size plates from Craig's Plates: http://www.craigsplates.com
ryan

Post by ryan »

Mike 'MR2' McHugh wrote:My Dads mate makes our reg's up...all legit and legal. Do you want me to get a contact number ? its a proper company just incase you thought he does them in his shed.

mike

Somewhere on the DVLA site it quotes that motorbike font size can be used for import cars where space isn't available. However there are still measurements of plates that are given and need to be adhered to.
THe UK square plate is too deep for the rear bumper, the 'import size plate is too narrow, so you can see the gap in the recess of the back bumper (that black bit behind the plate).
I got mine done by a man in his shed, no q's asked, as the front plate is 15 ins long as opposed to the massive 20.5 inches for a uk front plate. The smaller plate makes the car look bigger :shock:

The font is the rounder type as well :)

....and no sending the 'bill' 'round to check out my no. plates PC :P !!!!!!!!
Kieron

Post by Kieron »

http://www.gtgrafix.com/

Where I used.....
MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK »

Bear in mind most places will ask you for the registration documents for the car when making up plates now. The square plate for imports is a standard size, IIRC; anywhere making plates should have it.
Kieron

Post by Kieron »

GT don't. Tell them you want "show plates" and give them the measurements you want and they will do them for you.
MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK »

Well, they're not supposed to...
Kieron

Post by Kieron »

Hehe,

I know, don't know how they get around it, but even when the law changed they still did the show plates. Great if you don't want dealer postcodes etc on it.
Kieron

Post by Kieron »

Hehe,

I know, don't know how they get around it, but even when the law changed they still did the show plates. Great if you don't want dealer postcodes etc on it.
Jon S

Post by Jon S »

If your car is not on a public road, you can any type of plate you damn well please!
That's how these companies get around the law. They just state that certain styles are for show use only.

I've used www.fancyplates.com . They do anything you want (numberplatewise. :wink: )

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”