Max Power MR2s

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

steve b

Re: Max Power MR2s

Post by steve b »

over the years on the forums i have seen at least 8 or 9 19-21 year olds come on introduce themselves then within 2 weeks they would post something along the lines of "suddenly went out of control for no reason, i was doing 50...do you think its written off..." I used to say be careful don't drive it like a front drive etc.. I don't bother anymore the best way to learn is the hard way.. :roll:
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Kieron wrote:
The only exclusive 2 now is the MK1.

Thats an interesting point Kieron. I think now because of the MK1s age and relative rarity, they are now pretty widely accepted in the classic car world, particularly so with them hitting the magic 20 year mark.

There definately seems to be a reasonable move toward people restoring MK1s and returning them to standard rather than modifying them. I have also noticed an increase in desirability for the earlier cars too.

I guess in a way i'm a case in point as i've gone from madly modded SC to restoring an early car to pretty much stock. To add to this there is now a growing disparity pricewise between restored or really good MK1s as opposed to the rougher cars.
gasman

Post by gasman »

Sorry Kieron, it's just classic cars are my thing, I cant help but remember pointless stats and figures about them, and ferraris are a real bugbear of mine, people seem to think that any ferrari is a good ferrari. When you see the beautiful cars they made in the fifties,sixties and seventies, and you see the ugly dogs they made in the eighties, it makes me cry, even now the cars are truly fugly-but at least they have the excuse of impact testing regs and technology causing there fugliness. Look at a picture of a 250gt california spider and you'll see what I mean.
Secondly,I dont drive an MR2 to impress, I like RWD cars, I need something reliable for work and my late model one is loaded with all mod cons, something my rev1 didnt have. The NAs are not particulaly fast unless the thrash the guts out of them, especially that weak third gear which i hate! But they are fast enough not to permanently get caught by the fuzz like an imprezza or something. Ive driven a lot of modern sportcars - Elises, TVRs etc and I find the MR2 has the best compromise of sportiness, price and comfort. My rev5 cost 7k with a t bar for summer and aircon - how much better can you get, but dont get me wrong, if some cash came my way Id be straight down the Nissan dealership for a 350Z!
The chavs are welcome to buy "our" cars, they'll soon spin them on a greasy roundabout and end up needing to be looked after on intensive care by the likes of me because they havent got the necessary driving skills to treat the car with respect, or worse die. But then again, they manage to kill themselves in Kev'ed up Novas, so nothing changes. As long as they dont hurt me and mine, I dont care!
Taz007

Post by Taz007 »

one of the guys that works for the magazine has an mr2 and theres usually pics of his car in it - wot new stuff he gets each month or wotever
axisofunity

Post by axisofunity »

I'm 20, 21 in March... I didn't buy my MR2 because I wanted to 'do people' on the motorway... Indeed although the car would probably do just fine at over 100mph, I have not yet had a reason to do this except on the test-drive.

Those people (can I call them people?) in their 106 Rally's or Type R's get bored of revving me at the lights now.

I bought the MR2 T-bar for three reasons.

Firstly the hand me down from my parents (A respectable Seat Leon 1.4S) was boring and since I paid 3/4 book price for it (I worked before University) I kind of felt it was my choice to go ahead with the MR2... Secondly, the Leon was a family car. I have a long-term-lover (LTL :-p) and she's just fine with the MR2.

Secondly, the MR2 is a beautiful car... The MK1 is too boxy for my taste so I went for a MK2 T-Bar, because in the Summer I'm praying for good weather and beacause the car is really different. With the lowered suspension, body-kit and new trim it's special and eats up some of the crap FTO's around the University, owned by rich Chinese student's on their Daddies' insurance.

Thirdly, I wanted the responsibility of looking after an older car. At 15 years old this car will need TLC. I'm starting a job at a well known accounting firm this Autumn and I believe I'll have the money for it... I love my car, and I won't 'chav' abuse it...

My point of posting this is that I hope that users here, (and more generally) people on the street won't assume I'm 1) Rich-Kid 2) Chav or 3) Punk who'll be "wrapped around a tree". I'm going to make this MR2 shine, one little mod at a time...

Sorry for the little rant, but a car belongs to people who'll take car of it, not a particular age, gender or anything else.

-paul
Chris \'aka rustboy\' Amm

Post by Chris \'aka rustboy\' Amm »

i got my MK1 because it was damn good cheap fun on the road and betetr than chav tastic corsa's and saxo's and a bit of an under dog on performance for a 20 year old 1.6

i sold it and got my MKII turbo for the power of the turbo kicking me in the back which i find fun! :D
craig

Post by craig »

Chris 'aka rustboy' Ammon wrote:i got my MK1 because it was damn good cheap fun on the road and betetr than chav tastic corsa's and saxo's and a bit of an under dog on performance for a 20 year old 1.6

i sold it and got my MKII turbo for the power of the turbo kicking me in the back which i find fun! :D

yeah, I love that "kick in the back feeling" from the turbo.... :D
Jon S

Post by Jon S »

I've not seen many chavs in MR2s. (nowhere for their mates to sit)

This topic came up when I bought my MR2 a couple of years ago and I suspect it will do again.

MK1s weren't bought by chavs/boy racers were they? So maybe they won't bother with the MK2. [-o<

A chav, pikey, dickhead can buy any car they want. From what I can see they get BMWs :)
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Jon S wrote:I've not seen many chavs in MR2s. (nowhere for their mates to sit)

This topic came up when I bought my MR2 a couple of years ago and I suspect it will do again.

MK1s weren't bought by chavs/boy racers were they? So maybe they won't bother with the MK2. [-o<

A chav, pikey, dickhead can buy any car they want. From what I can see they get BMWs :)

I honestly think (and i'm not saying this because i have a MK1) that the aforementioned are rather much more into MK2s than MK1s tbh.

the MK1 is too old and not fastest enough to be of interest, whereas the MK2 offers a good bang for your buck. This is exactly the kind of thing thats going to appeal, especially so because there are a wide variety of Max Muppet type parts for the MK2 whereas the MK1 hardly has anything.

I would say that the MK1 is now firmly into classic status which i don't think is appealing to this group.
Vindezal

Post by Vindezal »

I say to me mate, I bought an MR2 "He says, is it turbo?" i say No,but its face lift very nice 174 bhp etc... He says "aaaaa been there done that when I was 19/20" moved on from MR2s now, grown out of that boy racer stage! :oops:

..Basically chavs wont keep em for more that 6 months before getting bored these days.
:?
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

Whipper snappers you say lol. Im 19 and own a 2, and am certaintly NOT a chav. There are a few us us young uns out there who treat these cars with respect and run them properly. Im a true MR2 fanatic and i dont think age should go against me. But i do see your point about some chavs having them :(
axisofunity

Post by axisofunity »

mr2nut123 wrote:Whipper snappers you say lol. Im 19 and own a 2, and am certaintly NOT a chav. There are a few us us young uns out there who treat these cars with respect and run them properly. Im a true MR2 fanatic and i dont think age should go against me. But i do see your point about some chavs having them :(

Totally agree :-)
Mike 'MR2' McHugh

Post by Mike 'MR2' McHugh »

intersting topic!!! :scratch:

The chav phenomenonononon grows and grows. I wouldnt be too worried what sorts of people are buying 2's because at the end of the day the majority of us are non chavs and sites such as this and MR20C do a pretty good job of holding the reputation that is favourable. I think the jap scene as a whole is always gona have a bit more class than say the ford scene for example.

As for the prices coming down i wouldnt worry too much either....there are plenty of Ford Fiesta Zeeeeeeeeetecs ( :ncool: ) out there which are going for a song which are loads cheaper to insure. Hatchbacks are always gona be the weapon of choice for 'boyracers' (i hate using that term cuz its always old folk that use it...but i will use it any way!) It is possible however to own these cars and not be one...however your always gona get labelled as one. I owned a mk2 golf gti a few years ago when i was 19, and was labelled a boyracer (which i spose was the old word for a chav-wagon driver).....didnt matter how slow i drove!

Mike
It goes..Uhn tiss Uhn tiss Uhn tiss
Mike 'MR2' McHugh

Post by Mike 'MR2' McHugh »

axisofunity wrote:
mr2nut123 wrote:Whipper snappers you say lol. Im 19 and own a 2, and am certaintly NOT a chav. There are a few us us young uns out there who treat these cars with respect and run them properly. Im a true MR2 fanatic and i dont think age should go against me. But i do see your point about some chavs having them :(

Totally agree :-)

Third that !!!!! :D
It goes..Uhn tiss Uhn tiss Uhn tiss
dan.h

Post by dan.h »

a great website for chav haters is www.chavtowns.co.uk it provides a great insight as to what towns have been infect by the destructive chav virus!

:lol:

p.s may all chavs die! or be locked away for drug dealing before they purchase anymore 2's
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

I don't have a problem with chavs themselves, it was just the MR2 issue for me! In fact, I would rather they spent their evenings wheelspinning around McDonalds carpark than on the road.
Mk2 NA Rev1 -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev2 -*- Mk1 NA -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev 3 = all gone!

Post by Andrew Edwards »

Just to add my bit to the debate. i have just turned 21 and have owned my MK2 NA since i was 18. It is now booked in for a turbo conversion at rogue.
i didn't buy the MR2 because i am a chav (which i'm not!!), i bought it because it was an affordable, reliable, good looking car which is a bit more special than a saxo or a clio that most other people in my age group were buying. at the time i lived at home so my car was my only real outgoing during A levels which meant i could take good care of it. I have worked very hard to get to were i am now-ie- bought a house and have enough money to upgrade to the turbo which i have wanted for a long time.
I guess my point is simple-pleased don't tar all of us youngsters with the same brush, my car is cared for, taxed, MOT'd and insured fully comp. I do admit that some chavs buy MR2's but there will always be some chavs who have the same car as you no matter what you drive!!
Sorry for long reply but just wanted to point this out :-)
Kieron

Post by Kieron »

No, don't get us wrong. There are plenty of younger drivers who are enthusiastic about the 2 and treat it with the respect it deserves, and those people add immensly to the whole enthusiast scene.

Then there are the idiots of all ages who buy the 2 and promptly wreck it/kill innocent people and/or generally make a nuisance of themselves thus "lowering the tone".

Cars are cars at the end of the day. It's the individual behind the wheel that matters....
Chris \'aka rustboy\' Amm

Post by Chris \'aka rustboy\' Amm »

Kieron wrote:No, don't get us wrong. There are plenty of younger drivers who are enthusiastic about the 2 and treat it with the respect it deserves, and those people add immensly to the whole enthusiast scene.

Then there are the idiots of all ages who buy the 2 and promptly wreck it/kill innocent people and/or generally make a nuisance of themselves thus "lowering the tone".

Cars are cars at the end of the day. It's the individual behind the wheel that matters....

i think the same goes for any car though really, unless insurance is stupidly high for them you'll get chav's driving nice cars and ruining them within minutes with stick of tat and ragging the b0ll0cks out of them.

i know someone who has a scoob and he's only 20! drives like a right xxxx and his insurance is £4k but the guy sadly has more money than sense! he already wrote one scoob off rolling it trying to race someone!
lukcy for me he's no friend of mine! friend of a friend is how i know ;)

still he drives a silver STi in the basildon area so hide if you see a silver scoob just incase ;)

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”