refridgeration technology in charge coolers?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Quigonjay

refridgeration technology in charge coolers?

Post by Quigonjay »

anybody ever been crazy enough to have a go at something like this?stroke of genius or rivalling goldys sc project as just utter craziness? :mrgreen:
obviously i'm not suggesting you go and put a fridge freezer in your boot :lol: but surely the technology can be applied somehow?
for instance, as an example of what i mean, the stuff thats inside the freezer compartment - how about wrapping a cc core in that then all you would need is an oil pump, thermostat/relay and to put a heat exchanger in place of that little grill that people rip off anyway and bobs your uncle :whistle: \:D/
yes, ridiculuos idea i know, but i'm thinking maybe its possible
Born2Run

Re: refridgeration technology in charge coolers?

Post by Born2Run »

Its something I had thought about ages ago but then memories of my camping trips with my 12v/gas fridge came flooding back. Did I really have to wait that long for a cold beer. The problem with any refridgeration technology is the length of time needed for it to cool down to a workable temp. There probably is something out there that cools down instantly but at a cost.
TomThumb

Post by TomThumb »

Peltiers may be the answer..

they take seconds to chill and can run off 12 volt's. they have been a solution to cooling computers for a long time now. iv done alot of water cooling myself for my PC, but there 1 draw back to how they work.

you have metal plate with 2 wires comming out. 1 side gets very very cold and the other side get hot. now if you can keep the hot side ventilated your lucks in. condonsation is not a problem in a engine bay like it is in a computers mother board so it may well be worth looking at one big enough to go on top of a chargecooler combined with 2 rogue fans on top your looking at fairley good cooling there.

Heres the peltier being used as a novel beer cooler.

Just an idea!

Hth, Tom. :wink: [/url]
Goldy

Post by Goldy »

Surely the best plan may well be just to cool the CC water down with a refrigerating element instead of using a radiator.

Someone mentioned about hooking up the aircon to cool down intake tempratures?? 8-[

I'm not going to try it.............. yet.... :twisted:
ImageImage
skinthespin

Post by skinthespin »

if your using the air con system wont you always run at a loss of energy? For example, if you gain 5bhp by using the air con system to cool the CC, you will use more than 5bhp to create that cooling effect, if thats not the case then surely you are creating energy from nowhere, and maybe you should get a job in a powerplant.
TomThumb

Post by TomThumb »

Thats right as energy cannot be created only transfered *e=mc2 (untill we harness the those pesky antimatter) you will allways lose energy through this method.

Its the same princible that you can't keep and light bulb going by using a solar panel to power itself. it wont work. too must energy is lost through wires etc..

in a nut shell, the ammount of power that is being consumed by the aircon will allways outweigh the power your gaining from it putting cold air in the intake. if your luckey you might brake even and there will be no difference whatsoever.

if you have a degree in engeering you could place some small wind turbine all around the car to power the aircon.

and we all forgot to mention the aircon is far to inifficent to create enough air per second to probably above 20 rpm!
light

Post by light »

Here's an idea, Use A CC but don't use water to cool use fuel, petrol is alot cooler then water, very easy to plumb in.U take the fuel line from the fuel filter to the CC and from the CC to the Fuel injector rail and then through the FPR, back to return
.But make sure the CC is in a good place, like on the side were the fuel lines are :shock: .
Tried and tested, it works better then water cooling the charge temps.
Go on to the mr2oc USA site and Vince-F is using this on his Beast and its aided him to breaking the world record :-k .
Last edited by light on Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goldy

Post by Goldy »

FUEL + HOT AIR = BOOM?!? :shock:
ImageImage
light

Post by light »

Goldy wrote:FUEL + HOT AIR = BOOM?!? :shock:

Not quite like that its a heat exchanger as long as it is not over the engine it works well.As you will see on VINCE-F's mr2.He's got a special CC which is working well.
I will try to get some pics from the site.

www.mr2oc.com

Goto mr2 records and go into vince's car profile.
michael

Post by michael »

Jim Griffin tried it years ago:

http://www.mr2beast.com/RAWIC.htm
TBDevelopments

Post by TBDevelopments »

thing is water has alot higher heat absorbsion rate than most other liquids, the main reason why you have water injection instead of just running rich with more fuel all the time.

I was going to say maybe a circulation of CO2 or Liquid Nitrogen, but i know with co2 its only cold because of the transformation from liquid to a gas so you would need a constant supply, not just a circulation like water.

I do remember someone trying to use the air con condensor to cool the water to very low temperatures but the drag from the air con was more damaging to power than the benifit of the colder air, as i believe skinthespin just pointed out.

I wander if the concept could be adapted with using underdrive pulleys on the air con to reduce the power loss, or better still have it driven by a low current comsumption electric motor along the same lines as the race teams use electric pumps for water and dry sump's to remove any drain on the engine?

Just an idea? not really gone into it deeply so don't know if it would really work but i thought an electrical drain would be less drastic than a rotational direct connection drain. i guess you could use the same ideas with a super charger and i don't mean the crap you see on ebay. I still mean use a full direct drive supercharger but have it connected to a high rotation elec motor. Oh well some ideas there if anyone wants to actually try it

Tim
xxxx
Goldy

Post by Goldy »

I think the power losses on the engine are all the same in the end if you do it with electrics or not. To get the same power output anyway.

If you need say 10watts of power to power a traditional pully aircon unit, then to power an electrical 10watt aircon unit you will still need 10watts of power, so the generator / alternator will need to supply 10watts of power, which comes from the engine.

I think i've explained that right...

Maybe you could get a hampster wheel or something.... but then theoretically you would need 10watts of hampster power?

Thats a lot of hampsters :shock:
ImageImage
TBDevelopments

Post by TBDevelopments »

i understand what you mean bud, i wasn't 100% sure how electrical drains effected the cars performance, i mean the alternator is going to be spinning ragardless and as far as i know it doesn't effect the power of the engine for the ammount of power its pushing out. I mean you don't lose power when you fit a fan to the intercooler or engine lid fans.

Some of these good electical guys out there correct me if i wrong but if the alternator is up to the job of powering this motor would it effect engine performance if running at 50% of its caperable current potential or at 80%

Tim
xxxx
Goldy

Post by Goldy »

xxxx wrote: I mean you don't lose power when you fit a fan to the intercooler or engine lid fans.

You'll find your engine actually has to work harder the more load you put on it. For instance.... once your engine is warmed up, find somewhere quiet (turn off the radio and heating fan), and turn on your headlights you should hear your engine revs drop slightly and rise back up as you turn them on due to the load on the alternator.
ImageImage
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

OK, here's *my* take, since I've thought about this for a few years now, although not yet tried things myself...

As Mitch mentioned, Jim Griffin made up a system on "MR2Beast", although he never stated whether he'd got it to work well (he seemed to encounter a couple of problems). What Jim tried was to use the air-con system to cool the fluid in the CC's reservoir.

A crazy friend of mine with a very powerful 3SGTE tried a system whereby he was using the refridgerant solely to cool the charge air. Apparently it worked very well, but the core kept on breaking from the excessive pressures. Since he couldn't find a core strong enough, he gave up.

Ford patented a refridgerated CC system a few years back, driven by an AC compressor, and they used a clever way to ensure that the system didn't sap more power than it was giving. In fact, I had the EXACT SAME idea for such a system, that I'd planned out prior to even hearing about Ford's system, which made me chuckle, but gutted I didn't come out with it first.

I've developed my idea a bit better on paper, but just haven't got round to trying it out. I can't say too much about it, because a lot of thinking has gone into it, and I plan to try it out first before talking too much about it.

One thing I *will* say though is that you don't need the refridgeration to work full time. Basically, on a road car, how often are you on boost? In road car situations, it's rare that you need any more cooling than a well-designed chargecooler system will give. Where such a system *does* have benefits though is during high ambient temps or in race/track conditions.
Dino
-----------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------
Click here for MR2 Mania Website
static

Post by static »

Active cooling of the air from the turbo isn't a silly idea, and there are a few confusions here about the principals. I'm not an expert on intercoolers, but have a doctorate in nonlinear fluid dynamics physics so the general principals I'll mention should be roughly correct.

First off cooling the air from the turbo using a 100% efficiency cooler with 100W of cooling would not produce 100W of extra power. This is because it's not the air temperature lowering which gives more power directly. By cooling the air there are several effects, two of the most important being that you make the air more dense so that more fuel can be added, and secondly because you reduce the risk of detonation.

Since you add energy in with the fuel/air mix, getting more power out than you put into the cooling isn't magic, it's just that you're adding energy per second (power) in through fuel. You'll get worse fuel consumption, but my guess is that this isn't the point of the thread.

More importantly even if you were losing power through the transaction, correctly done this could be an advantage to peak power over a given time period. Turbo powered drag racers commonly suffer from heat soak, and on a track the trade off could be usefull. To benefit mostly from this you want to trade power when the throttle is off to when the throttle is on. Using a switched aircon system to aid a convential charge or intercooler would benfit some applications, but weight should also be taken into account here.

Peltier systems may not be the best, and the heat still has to go somewhere. In my experience with cooling system peltier are only really good for certain applications requiring small size, and they are quite expensive ways to go. However with a correct set up they could be low weight and easily switched, but you'd need quite a peltier system as they're cooling power is pretty low.

I'm interested in this area, but have not yet had the time to sit down and work out the details.

Return to “Modifications”