The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Magic Beans

Re: The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Post by Magic Beans »

Madabout wrote:Well done Phil on the new car mate. After our conversations glad to see you got something sorted.

Thanks, James. Your help and advice on MX5s was much appreciated :D I did come really close to getting one, really close.

ashley wrote:
Magic Beans wrote:Ultimately though it was the lack of base power that put me off

Magic Beans wrote:I'd forgotten how good a CT20b is, in terms of spool time and power

:lol: :lol:

We'll see how long that view lasts :twisted:

You, sir, are a bad bad man! :lol:

Chassis work and ultimate protection are top of the list right now.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Busy day today! Woke up at the crack of dawn and my brain immediately started thinking about cars, so the idea of a lie-in was a write-off #-o We were out most of the afternoon, meaning I had to go into overdrive mode to get my jobs list (most of it not car related :| ) done. The two jobs I had lined up for the car were A) Give it a bath, B) Go boosting. I'm pleased to announce that both were achieved, plus another job (more on that another day :wink: ).

She sure scrubs up well. For a 19 year old car I'm amazed just how good the paint is!

Secret switch :wink:

That's enough of that, time for some proper shots!

An absolute pleasure to drive. Man I've missed being behind the wheel of an MR2!! :lover:
Last edited by Magic Beans on Sun May 21, 2017 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
craig

Post by craig »

Looks great man. Get that bloody bung out the exhaust!!!! :mrgreen:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

I'll go one better, it's having the Rogue Revison 6 one fitted :mrgreen:

Gotta say though, the silencer makes a huge difference. Driving back yesterday at motorway speeds was completely drone free. I'd be tempted to get some silencers for the Rogue exhaust too. Just so I can go drone free if it's a long journey and then go full obnoxious mode when they come out :twisted:
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

That is lovely, looking forward to seeing what happens with this, get some of those spare goodies on from the last 2 :mrgreen:
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

Magic Beans wrote:
Madabout wrote:Well done Phil on the new car mate. After our conversations glad to see you got something sorted.

Thanks, James. Your help and advice on MX5s was much appreciated :D I did come really close to getting one, really close.

ashley wrote:
Magic Beans wrote:Ultimately though it was the lack of base power that put me off

Magic Beans wrote:I'd forgotten how good a CT20b is, in terms of spool time and power

:lol: :lol:

We'll see how long that view lasts :twisted:

You, sir, are a bad bad man! :lol:

Chassis work and ultimate protection are top of the list right now.

No worries Phil. I remember seeing this white mr2 for sale and thinking it looked a good buy. I really enjoy the MX5s so not a problem offering help and advice.
muckyman

Post by muckyman »

Glad you're enjoying it Phil. I told you is was a good one.
(To all those who messaged and emailed me with stupid low prices without even viewing, you missed out big time) :lol:

I'll enjoy watching how it develops over your ownership.
Cheers
Michael
ads

Post by ads »

Seems you've found car Nirvana. Mountain road run due soon ..
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

ads wrote:Seems you've found car Nirvana. Mountain road run due soon ..

Itll be a Scotland run.. hopefully later this year.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

muckyman wrote:Glad you're enjoying it Phil. I told you is was a good one.
(To all those who messaged and emailed me with stupid low prices without even viewing, you missed out big time) :lol:

I'll enjoy watching how it develops over your ownership.
Cheers
Michael

Their loss, my gain :D

Make sure you share details of the Supra when it arrives :)

ads wrote:Seems you've found car Nirvana. Mountain road run due soon ..

It's taken a few years and a few life lessons, but it's a good feeling to know what you really want and to actually have it.

I'll head over to Wales for the run in the next couple of months :thumleft:

pistol pete wrote:It'll be a Scotland run.. hopefully later this year.

We need to get that arranged. We can have a chat about it at the weekend, over some ciders and oil burgers :mrgreen:
stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

You like my old car then :)

That's not a bung, it's an Apexi Active Silencer. Makes a huge difference with no loss of power. Was in and out more times than I care to mention. Loved the sound with it out but the neighbour's fence used to rattle when I started her up. Plus no drone at idle!

Very pleased the car has gone to a good home. A lot of love and care went into keeping the paintwork nice. Has a couple of secret switches!
Ben

Post by Ben »

What do the switches do?!

You have to tell me, Phil, or else I'll press all of them :D :lol:
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Ben wrote:What do the switches do?!

Memories driving at 60 in the red focus. . What does this button do..
Glad we waited . :pale: :whistle:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

stuMR2lee wrote:You like my old car then :)

That's not a bung, it's an Apexi Active Silencer. Makes a huge difference with no loss of power. Was in and out more times than I care to mention. Loved the sound with it out but the neighbour's fence used to rattle when I started her up. Plus no drone at idle!

Very pleased the car has gone to a good home. A lot of love and care went into keeping the paintwork nice. Has a couple of secret switches!

I was hoping you'd find your way to the thread! :D

She's a beauty, it's a match made in heaven. Kudos on the condition and details, you can see the love that's been given to it.

So far I've found a couple of switches. One in the boot (Ben: See below) and the other (aerial isolator, nice touch :) ) to the left of the steering wheel cowl. Any others?

Oh, what was this for?

Ben wrote:What do the switches do?!

The one in the boot turns the TOYOBD1 Datalogger on, off and the car into diagnostic (E1 & TE1 bridge_) mode. It links to an Android tablet via Bluetooth and the results look like this:

Check here for details. I'm still learning how it all works: http://jfbreton.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/TOYOBD1

Cool bit of kit. No need to fill the car with gauges etc, for the few times you ever need to look at them.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Tonight I spent a lot of time doing very small jobs :lol: To be fair though, I'm like a pig in muck with this kind of thing. I've really missed having something to tinker with, especially when the car isn't fighting you every step of the way! :D

First up was something that was inevitable: Sticker removal.. We all know how I love stickers.. :lol: Yes, they're only small.

These are the exception, they can stay. For now at least :-k :roll:

Some picking, polishing and minor swearing (not the really bad words though :-# ) later and it's clean!

This one I've kept to one side, until I decide where to put it.

Next up was a full sweep of the bodwork and sills, looking for and preventing rust before it starts. The car is really clean, it's all prevention work as I have no time for rust. This was tedious work, involving Kurust and tiny detail brushes. When I say tiny we're talking about match head thickness! My kind of overly fussy thing :lol:

After going over the whole car (bar the chassis, that's later) every single potential area has now been treated. I'll go over it again later, before applying a top coat to everything.

Final job was to sort out a few trailing wires behind the driver's seat. Small job but I managed to spend about 45 mins sorting it 8-[

Door protection while I work in the car. Because walls and doors don't mix but seem to be attracted to each other!

This is said Bluetooth diagnostic box.

Cables rerouted, clipped, tucked away and the cubby box lid attached (god bless my boxes of accumulated MR2 nuts and bolts 8) ), we're neat and tidy.

When you spend your whole day moving words around and never really seeing any tangible results, jobs like this are immensely satisfying. There's a few more small bits on the list, before the big bits come back after next weekend!

*Edit* Seems I may have left the photo settings a tad large, so apologies if it's making your phones etc angry when opening this page :oops: :oops: Corrected for next time.
Last edited by Magic Beans on Mon May 22, 2017 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Good man.. looks lovely.. leave all the fighting jobs for me ;).

The wires looks loads better .. looking forward to it progressing
stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

Great work so far. Trailing wires are just left over from when Michael removed the behind seat Subwoofer and Frunk sub amp. He obviously didn't appreciate the extra bass/seat massager!

That plug and unit in the centre console is a Perimeter warning module for the alarm. Think one of the wires came loose so I just unplugged it. Easy fix I reckon.

You've found the aerial switch and the Toyobd1 :)
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

pistol pete wrote:Good man.. looks lovely.. leave all the fighting jobs for me ;)

You do the big stuff, I do the fiddly, time consuming and detail bits. Perfect team 8)

stuMR2lee wrote:Great work so far. Trailing wires are just left over from when Michael removed the behind seat Subwoofer and Frunk sub amp. He obviously didn't appreciate the extra bass/seat massager!

That plug and unit in the centre console is a Perimeter warning module for the alarm. Think one of the wires came loose so I just unplugged it. Easy fix I reckon.

You've found the aerial switch and the Toyobd1 :)

I guessed it was the old sub/amp cabling. I'd not have used it either, just dead weight and a lower power/weight ratio :)

I'll have a look at the perimeter warning wiring then. As you said, it's just a single broken wire, simple fix :) Or is it the type that chirps at anyone who dares to come near the car, like an overly protective parent with people's dogs?
stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

Yep. Full on budgie squeak warning system if someone steps near the car!

Not being a mad nutter fast driver I wasn't worried about the extra weight from the sub but I see your point :). The OEM Active Sound System I installed always sounded pretty good to me anyway.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

stuMR2lee wrote:Yep. Full on budgie squeak warning system if someone steps near the car!

Ahh, delightful things. That wire accidentally broke did it? :wink:

Return to “Member Profiles”