High idle speed plus rising and falling .

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Xantia31

High idle speed plus rising and falling .

Post by Xantia31 »

hi all
My93, rev2 turbo is idling higher than normal. Like the choke is out on an older car. When warmed up it rises then falls then rises and falls etc. Any ideas. I've just had the capacitors replaced on my ecu so could this be a case of re learning? Had it out for a run in mixed traffic for about 20 mins.
Cheers.
John
Pauln

Re: High idle speed plus rising and falling .

Post by Pauln »

You could try a "reset" by pulling the fuse, but assuming they made a good job of replacing the caps and checking for damage on the tracks in the ECU and you don't have a vac hose leak somewhere, it could well be a sticky ICV on the throttle body as these can get gummed up over time.

You really need to drop the throttle body off to cleanup the ICV properly, and it's well worth giving the whole throttle body a good clean at the same time. With the throttle body off it's also much easier to check and if necessary adjust the TPS as per the book.

Paul
danjama

Post by danjama »

Once in a blue moon after a jet wash my rev 3 turbo will do the revs rising and falling bit. It normally fixes itself after the engine is fully warmed up so i'm assuming moisture is getting in somewhere and then drying out.

Make of that what you will!
Xantia31

Post by Xantia31 »

Its almost as if something is cutting in making the revs drop then rise again. But thats only when its warm. When it starts from cold its just high idling all the time. Weird! A little search mentions that it could be air trapped in the coolant system so ill have to try bleeding it as one possible solution. Ah the joys!
danjama

Post by danjama »

Change your ECU coolant temp sensor as well, they're only £15 and 5 minutes to replace but made a world of difference on my previous rev 2 turbo which used to cut out when I dipped the clutch.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”