Hand brake cables? All the same?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

auzzam

Hand brake cables? All the same?

Post by auzzam »

Hi all,

I've got my MOT coming up and need to change my handbrake cable as it does nothing when applied.

My question is how do I know which cable is for a Rev 3 turbo? As the only ones on eBay mention 89-99 (pagid) but doesn't mention if its suitable for a turbo.

Is there even a difference?

Thanks

Auzzam
alanmr2turbo

Re: Hand brake cables? All the same?

Post by alanmr2turbo »

no
auzzam

Post by auzzam »

Thanks Alan, have ordered them here's hoping it fixes the problems!
mr2garageswindon

Post by mr2garageswindon »

With the Pagid cables you will probably need a file to file off the excess strands of cable where they attach at the front end.
Just a thought as seen it plenty with those cables. :thumleft:

Oh and make sure the handbrake levers on the calipers are back on the stops. It tells you where you mount the fronts of the cables how many clicks the handbrake should have when adjusted 5 to 8 at 20kg pressure i think.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

the rev3+ are longer. From my experience, using the shorter earlier cables means the handbrake mechanism can't move through it's full range and thus your handbrake gets worse and worse til eventually it doesn't work at all
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

raptor95GTS wrote:the rev3+ are longer. From my experience, using the shorter earlier cables means the handbrake mechanism can't move through it's full range and thus your handbrake gets worse and worse til eventually it doesn't work at all

Nope.

I'd Really would love to know where you got REV3+ were longer since the rev3 used same chassis, same brakes as a REV2 whether it be a N/A or Turbo. I'm sure the rear brake calipers are same on REV1 as well so would be now different in length.

The only difference in cables are left and right
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

From memory, the rev1 had smaller rear calipers. And had different part numbers for the cables than later cars.

Also, as already said, left/right cables are different.
And no difference between NA/turbo.

*edit, look on fleabay, there's lots of listings that state "1991 - 1999" (as well as others with the wrongly stated 1989 - 1999).
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

alanmr2turbo wrote:
raptor95GTS wrote:the rev3+ are longer. From my experience, using the shorter earlier cables means the handbrake mechanism can't move through it's full range and thus your handbrake gets worse and worse til eventually it doesn't work at all

Nope.

I'd Really would love to know where you got REV3+ were longer since the rev3 used same chassis, same brakes as a REV2 whether it be a N/A or Turbo. I'm sure the rear brake calipers are same on REV1 as well so would be now different in length.

The only difference in cables are left and right

my bad, rev2+ are longer. My memory fades with age
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... t=#1373374

scary enough, just realised I need another cambelt change. This'll be the third one!
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

Having just had a right headache with handbrakes, make sure that the calipers are working properly.

Turned out that one of the rears wasn't working properly so the overall effect was a poor handbrake.

New cables didn't fix it as it was the caliper in the end. 2 ways it was pinpointed. 1, the lever on the caliper didn't stop the disc until very late in the travel.
2, when winding the piston back in it won't get to the free spinning state at the bottom of the travel.
auzzam

Post by auzzam »

Yeah I think there's a chance it may be the caliper but thought try the cheap stuff first especially as I know the rubber boot on my cable is split anyway.

Where did you get your calliper from? Brand new or refurbed?

Thanks
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

well got the caliper (refurb) from TCB, but it's the refurb caliper that was again the problem. Changed both rears at the same time due to stuck pistons.

Only done 10k on it before it started to give problems. Turns out my old cables were fine, but with a split boot like yours.
So a 2nd caliper was needed for one side in under a year.

TBH I think the caliper was broken from the start but just never noticed it until the MOT pointed out only 1 wheel was doing handbrake.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”