welding question

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

metallica fish

welding question

Post by metallica fish »

Hi all,

I've got a bit of rust on my 2 that I have asked a friend to help with. He is a very capable welder but has never worked on MR2's, mainly bikes.

let's start with the sills. The sills are structurally sound. Only a bit of surface rust that can easily be cured. My question for this is, would it pass an MOT like this? The car is going to have side skirts on in the future anyway so they wont be seen. (same on both sides)

Next we have the recesses in the boot on both sides. We both know that these will need sorting. Has anyone done this job before and have a guide to how you did it, pictures, suggestions ect?

Thanks
Liam
outrun

Re: welding question

Post by outrun »

Have you checked the condition of your inner sills and to see if the #FoamofDeath is still present?

Your outers look to be rotting from the inside, out and yeah, those inner quarters need looking at. Cut the rot out and see where it stops, then get some clean lower quarters from a donor car would be my suggestion.

IMO given the rot you have already found, I would examine the inner sills and get the rear bumper off before deciding anything.
You may be better off with another car to start from.

I reckon that would go through a test ATM, though.
Rev 2 GT - Forged Rev 3 Conversion
Nic

Post by Nic »

outrun wrote:Have you checked the condition of your inner sills and to see if the #FoamofDeath is still present?

Your outers look to be rotting from the inside, out and yeah, those inner quarters need looking at. Cut the rot out and see where it stops, then get some clean lower quarters from a donor car would be my suggestion.

IMO given the rot you have already found, I would examine the inner sills and get the rear bumper off before deciding anything.
You may be better off with another car to start from.

I reckon that would go through a test ATM, though.

As above, it's the inner sill skin (in the wheel arch) that tends to go first, if they are rotten it'll allow moisture in behind the outer sills.

An MOT tester will tap the inner and outer sills with a small hammer to check for their structural integrity, if only the inners are rotten it will pass with an advisory, if both inners and outers are rotten it will fail.

Looking at the state of yours I would get the sills replaced and the whole lot under sealed (inside and out) ASAP, if moisture is getting in behind the sills it won't take long for them to rot through along the whole length.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Nic

Post by Nic »

I recently had the rear inner and outter sills of mine replaced using one of these kits.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-SET-Toyot ... Swu4BV0iNs

Some pics of mine being worked on here

https://www.facebook.com/wheregt4dreams ... 1562757927
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

Unfortunately I suspect the rust on the sills is going to be quite a bit worse than you expect, especially given the matching rot in the boot. As already said, get the trim panels off and have a look down into the sill to see what it's really like.
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
metallica fish

Post by metallica fish »

I've almost managed to get the rear bumper off to get a better look. Can I hell get the bolts off that are inside the wheel arch :evil:
outrun

Post by outrun »

metallica fish wrote:I've almost managed to get the rear bumper off to get a better look. Can I hell get the bolts off that are inside the wheel arch :evil:

The ones that hold the side strips?
metallica fish

Post by metallica fish »

outrun wrote:
metallica fish wrote:I've almost managed to get the rear bumper off to get a better look. Can I hell get the bolts off that are inside the wheel arch :evil:

The ones that hold the side strips?

yes mate
mr2garageswindon

Post by mr2garageswindon »

Yep they usually snap. ](*,)
outrun

Post by outrun »

Give them a wire brush, a good soaking with Plus Gas release oil and when you get them shifting, take your time and work them back and forth, cleaning the threads as you go.

Patience will usually see you right.
And buy some Irwin Bolt Grips! (Not just for this job, but they are invaluable.)
Ginjaninja92

Post by Ginjaninja92 »

I'm hoping to repair a rusty boot corner in the near future, so I'll post up if and when that happens.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”