Wrapping

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

spikkey

Wrapping

Post by spikkey »

Any you guys gone down this road instead of painting?
monkeyra
Premium Member

Re: Wrapping

Post by monkeyra »

I'm going to be wrapping my roof soon to hide some dodgy paintwork.
SW20 Rev1 Supercharged 2GR-FE Powered Trackday Car.
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

monkeyra wrote:I'm going to be wrapping my roof soon to hide some dodgy paintwork.

HAHAHA!
rgb

Post by rgb »

ive wrapped the bonnet and lights myself cause of dodgy paint cost 15 quid and a couple of hours . a respray is going to be better but the car would be offroad for a few days and cost a few hundred quid
metallica fish

Post by metallica fish »

I'm planning on wrapping my whole car. I've just ordered a sample of the colour I want.

I don't imagine it will be easy! are you planning on doing it yourself?

I'm looking forward to doing it, but I recon I'll have a pretty bad time when I'm doing it and I'll most likely swear a lot.
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

Providing you get decent wrapping material an MR2 wouldn't be that hard to wrap. Get the cheap so called wrapping material from China then it will last probably a year.

You will also need to buy an infrared thermometer so you know that the vinyl has heated up to the correct temp.

Just don't forget to inform DVLA of the colour change.
spikkey

Wrapping

Post by spikkey »

No way i would try the whole car after seing the various videos on you tube!
Tried tinting once and it was a disaster.
There is a buisiness fairly local that i have been in contact with and have gone along to see some of their work.
Must say i am very impressed.
They had some series motors there being given the treatment,so just trying to decide weather to stick to factory colour or go for a total change?
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

alanmr2turbo wrote:

I was under the impression that as a wrap isn't a permanent change of colour so no need to notify dvla. Might get tugged by the rozzers tho as they will have one colour on the system and your wrap will be another.
spikkey

Wrapping

Post by spikkey »

To be honest i havent thought that far ahead as i still have sill repairs to finish yet.
Realistically it will be sping next year before i have to decide, so will have the details sorted by then.
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

abovetherim wrote:
alanmr2turbo wrote:

I was under the impression that as a wrap isn't a permanent change of colour so no need to notify dvla. Might get tugged by the rozzers tho as they will have one colour on the system and your wrap will be another.

That used to be the way. But now vinyl wrapping can last yrs if looked after.

The DVLA have recently changed their recommendations for vehicles that have been wrapped, which now have to be registered if the colour has been changed. Previously because the wrap was not considered a permanent change, it did not need to be registered. However, the following statement has been issued by the DVLA;-

The register maintained by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) essentially exists to assist in revenue collection, road safety and law enforcement. The Police and other enforcement agencies rely on the DVLA record for all vehicles-related investigations. It is therefore paramount that the information stored on the vehicle register is accurate and up to date.

DVLA records details given by vehicle manufacturers at first registration. Any changes to the vehicles details must be notified to DVLA by law.

By covering the entire vehicle in a coloured adhesive/vinyl wrap, it is DVLA’s view that the colour change should be recorded. To notify a change of colour you should complete section 7 of the registration certificate V5C and return it to DVLA Swansea SA99 1BA. You should receive a replacement certificate within two to four weeks.

We would advise that any owner of a vehicle that has had a full colour change wrap should now inform the DVLA immediately by completing and sending the necessary paperwork as specified.
spikkey

Wrapping

Post by spikkey »

Thanks mate, excellent info and will keep this in mind if i do go for the colour change
:clap:
auzzam

Post by auzzam »

I'm thinking about wrapping mine or painting...

If I wrap it, I'm thinking white or as close to a midnight purple

But I'm really attached to the yellow of the car... Maybe just a cheap putter respray to a darker shade of yellow, that way the door shuts etc won't look off.

What colour are you looking to wrap yours? I also heard it'd best to do it whilst the weather is warmer.
spikkey

Wrapping

Post by spikkey »

I could play safe and keep with the red, or i could copy my white tt but with the carbon efect alloys this time :-k Still undecided though.
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

alanmr2turbo wrote:
abovetherim wrote:
alanmr2turbo wrote:

That used to be the way. But now vinyl wrapping can last yrs if looked after.

The DVLA have recently changed their recommendations for vehicles that have been wrapped, which now have to be registered if the colour has been changed. Previously because the wrap was not considered a permanent change, it did not need to be registered. However, the following statement has been issued by the DVLA;-

The register maintained by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) essentially exists to assist in revenue collection, road safety and law enforcement. The Police and other enforcement agencies rely on the DVLA record for all vehicles-related investigations. It is therefore paramount that the information stored on the vehicle register is accurate and up to date.

DVLA records details given by vehicle manufacturers at first registration. Any changes to the vehicles details must be notified to DVLA by law.

By covering the entire vehicle in a coloured adhesive/vinyl wrap, it is DVLA’s view that the colour change should be recorded. To notify a change of colour you should complete section 7 of the registration certificate V5C and return it to DVLA Swansea SA99 1BA. You should receive a replacement certificate within two to four weeks.

We would advise that any owner of a vehicle that has had a full colour change wrap should now inform the DVLA immediately by completing and sending the necessary paperwork as specified.

Brilliant info :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”