rev 4 turbo

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

garygt4

rev 4 turbo

Post by garygt4 »

boost gauge only goes up three quarters and wont boost fully, any ideas?
Milo_101

Re: rev 4 turbo

Post by Milo_101 »

Since you are not talking numbers, I assume you mean the stock boost gauge(?).
If so, don't even bother looking at it as it basically doesn't tell you anything. No numbers for reference. It's useless. Get a real boost gauge that can precisely measure the boost pressure.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Yep , that gauge is like saying how longs a piece of string .. the gauge basicly says "you have string" ... not very helpful :(
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

2mad wrote:Yep , that gauge is like saying how longs a piece of string .. the gauge basicly says "you have string" ... not very helpful :(

I always thought of it being binary. Like boost? Yes/No.
garygt4

Post by garygt4 »

cheers lads I have a mechanic looking at it tomorrow, any suggestions to set him on the right path?
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

garygt4 wrote:cheers lads I have a mechanic looking at it tomorrow, any suggestions to set him on the right path?

Dunno mate, it's one of the few things Toyota got wrong. A lot of people opt for an aftermarket gauge if they really want to know what is going on with boost levels.

IMO the Omori gauge in the factory location looks best but can be a bit of a PIA to install. External gauges just don't look right to me unless they are done nicely.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

aussieGT wrote:
garygt4 wrote:cheers lads I have a mechanic looking at it tomorrow, any suggestions to set him on the right path?

Dunno mate, it's one of the few things Toyota got wrong. A lot of people opt for an aftermarket gauge if they really want to know what is going on with boost levels.

IMO the Omori gauge in the factory location looks best but can be a bit of a PIA to install. External gauges just don't look right to me unless they are done nicely.

Agree with aussie :thumleft: .. stock bost gauge tells you nothing apart from ... you have boost .. and .. you dont have boost .. very un helpful
ryanaj79

Post by ryanaj79 »

garygt4 wrote:boost gauge only goes up three quarters and wont boost fully, any ideas?

I've been having this problem for a few months now as well.
Mines a rev4 turbo too, was boostin to max fine for first 6 months when I got it, then started doing same, boosting to bout 2/3 on stock gauge an power drops off.
I've got a defi boost gauge so can see more detailed an is only doin 0.5 - 0.6 bar, had it checked out, no leaks, boost solenoid/recirc valve ok and cat isnt blocked..
its not running lean or rich and Ive got no fault codes showing up. so Im stumped.
If you discover what it might be let me know :thumleft:
garygt4

Post by garygt4 »

Got this sorted guys seemingly my mechanic found a pipe off the actuator and was blocked off, reconnected it and now boosts fine, :thumleft:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Fair to say someone has been running raised boost on the car and removed the boost controller before you got it (and didn't hook back up the tvsv).
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

stock boost gauge shows vacuum and is graded to 10psi. Fairly accurate but very very slow to react and stock boost rev3+ puts it off the clock haha

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”