Where to start?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

metallica fish

Where to start?

Post by metallica fish »

Hello first of all, brand new here.

I've been after a MK2 for around 10 years now. I'm finally at the stage where i can get one now or in the very near future.

I have a few questions which will determine which model i go for...

This car will be my first every project car. I have very limited mechanical experience so it's going to be a long journey. I recon there will be a lot of towing it up to road to the garage when it comes to things I can't do myself.

What i want to achieve:
the end result i am looking for is something with plenty of power around 350BHP by the end. Not an out and out race car. More of a show car but when the foot goes down it can make my heart race.

So back to the main question. Where do i start? At the moment I can afford a N/A wrecker. Do I buy that, and save for someone to do engine swap... In the mean time I can be adding the less expensive parts, cleaning up ect.

Or

wait and save for a turbo model and build from there?

many thanks
Liam

EDIT: The N/A i have seen that i could get now is a rev 2 if that makes a difference?
alanmr2turbo

Re: Where to start?

Post by alanmr2turbo »

REV2+ has same running suspension set up as a REV2+ Turbo

REV3 Standard Turbo rear clip will cost you £1500+

Personally i would save for a REV3 turbo as a starting point
ashley

Post by ashley »

It may be worth keeping an eye out for someone selling off a project, or something that has already had cash spent on modifications, maybe with a blown engine...then you can save a lot of cash by not having to buy all the mods new.

Either that or don't worry about 350hp, go buy an NA and learn about the car mechanically by doing it ALL yourself...then once you have the confidence, think about something more complicated (and expensive) with more power :eye:
metallica fish

Post by metallica fish »

thanks for the replies guys. I'm still weighing up my options.

If i were to get the N/A this is the ebay item number for the one i'm looking at: 152202211253

It's like a 15 min drive from me.
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

I'd buy a Rev 3 and fit a few bolt-ons to give you near enough '300bhp' - a 300bhp MR2 is a very quick and reliable car!

The issue is that the jump from 300 to 350bhp is where you need to start really spending, 300 is relatively affordable and simple:

Aftermarket side mount intercooler
Berk de-cat/downpipe
2.5 or 3" exhaust
Either a free-flowing panel filter or an ARC (or similar) intake
Boost controller to adjust to 1.15/1.2 bar
Have the injectors out and get them cleaned
EDIT and a Stage 1 clutch wouldn't hurt too

That's about it AFAIK, should be well achievable for under £1500 if you keep an eye out for used parts :thumleft:
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Totally valid points from Ash and Callum

If you'd be happy with 300hp, Get a decent rev 3 for 4k all done and dusted

Or buy a stock one for £3,500 and spend £2k getting it up to spec.

OR

If you want more power, do it all at once or you'll end up re-buying stuff as you upgrade and waste time and cash.

Forged build for 400hp (paid) will set you back £5k+ buying a mixture of used and new parts.
japaneseskoda

Post by japaneseskoda »

To be honest you might want to go buy an NA and see if you like it. Mk2 are unusual in the car world and you can test this without too much expenditure by buying a cheap NA. It is almost the same thing as a Turbo and will go around normal roads with corners and lots of traffic exactly the same and get to B from A at the same pace. Then if you like it trade it for a Turbo or a Beams or a 3000 NA conversion. You can pick up an NA for very little for what is a wonderful piece of engineering and test it for a few months this summer to see if you like it.
outrun

Post by outrun »

If you buy an n/a and want to swap in a turbo motor, I have just pulled the one out of my rev 2 turbo and I too am in Durham - and also named Liam. :lol:

Just sayin'
metallica fish

Post by metallica fish »

japaneseskoda wrote:To be honest you might want to go buy an NA and see if you like it. Mk2 are unusual in the car world and you can test this without too much expenditure by buying a cheap NA. It is almost the same thing as a Turbo and will go around normal roads with corners and lots of traffic exactly the same and get to B from A at the same pace. Then if you like it trade it for a Turbo or a Beams or a 3000 NA conversion. You can pick up an NA for very little for what is a wonderful piece of engineering and test it for a few months this summer to see if you like it.

It could be awful to drive and a pain to live with but I wouldn't care at all. That's not why I want one. I have a very nice mondeo st that will still be my daily. The MR2 is for looking at and the occasional drive once complete.
metallica fish

Post by metallica fish »

outrun wrote:If you buy an n/a and want to swap in a turbo motor, I have just pulled the one out of my rev 2 turbo and I too am in Durham - and also named Liam. :lol:

Just sayin'

Where abouts you at? Could be a option! Might have something to ask of you though first!
outrun

Post by outrun »

metallica fish wrote:
outrun wrote:If you buy an n/a and want to swap in a turbo motor, I have just pulled the one out of my rev 2 turbo and I too am in Durham - and also named Liam. :lol:

Just sayin'

Where abouts you at? Could be a option! Might have something to ask of you though first!

I'm in Houghton le Spring, mate. You? I also have a Mondeo daily. :shock:
What's up?
metallica fish

Post by metallica fish »

outrun wrote:
metallica fish wrote:

Just sayin'

I'm in Houghton le Spring, mate. You? I also have a Mondeo daily. :shock:
What's up?

PM sent
metallica fish

Post by metallica fish »

bought myself a nice cheap N/A

runs and drives fine but needs a small amount of rust control / repair, breaks need reconditioning + pads and disks, would benefit from new suspension, and a wrap or respray.

other than that the engine starts and runs fine, clutch and gear box seem in good nick too! All the electrics work which is nice.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”