[Mk2] [Turbo] Uneven tyre wear on rear axle

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mike

[Mk2] [Turbo] Uneven tyre wear on rear axle

Post by Mike »

I noticed recently that when my car goes over inconsistencies in the road surface such as large metal drain covers or bumps, the rear end becomes very unsettled around the NSR wheel. Checked my tyres and the NSR is pretty worn, not far off the wear indicators. Checked the OSR and there's significantly more tread left, it looks almost new. (Identical tyres fitted together)

Now, I suspect that this is an alignment-suspension geometry issue. That said, I did have a sticking NSF caliper slider for some time which didnt reveal itself until it started squeeking; is it possible that as a result of the the sticky NSF brake, the NSR wheel was working harder and therefore has experienced more wear? Long shot I know, but worth asking the IMOC experts.

Thanks
abovetherim

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Uneven tyre wear on rear axle

Post by abovetherim »

Tho the brake may have contributed a tiny bit I'm more inclined to consider that the nsr tyre is loaded on roundabouts!
Then there is suspension geometry to consider.
Also is the wear even across the tread or more worn on inside or outside edge. Inside edge wear from wrong camber (worn ball joint or bush), outside edge is wrong toe
Mike

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Uneven tyre wear on rear axle

Post by Mike »

The wear is pretty even across the tyre but perhaps slightly more exaggerated on the outside edges. The car is booked in for a geometry check tomorrow so we'll see what the outcome of that is.

Return to “Mechanical”