[Mk2] [Turbo] Valve Seals

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

blogsy

[Mk2] [Turbo] Valve Seals

Post by blogsy »

Is it possible to change valve seals on a turbo without taking the head off. Thanks.
Mike N

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Valve Seals

Post by Mike N »

I have not done it on one of these engines without doing some sort of head off strip / rebuild but I would expect it to be possible with the right set of tools, ie:

Lever tool placed under cam or bolted into position in order to press on valve cap to remove retainers and same to re-fit again after seals are changed.

Air line on a spark plug threaded adaptor fitted into plug holes in order to hold air presure in the cylinder keeping valves forced shut to allow the above action to be carried out.

Ford CVH engines were basically done this way.

At the end of the day if the seals were bad enough causing smoke then restasured the valves will have heavy carbon deposits on them and the whole lot will need dismatling and cleaning properly anyway.
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

As above, lever tools do exist for just this sort of thing. Another way to hold the valve up is to fill the chamber with nylon rope the compress it some by turning the crank by hand.

But as said above a more sensible option would be to whip the head off and clean valves and lap in the seats. You will also the be able to inspect the chamber walls and piston crowns.
blogsy

Post by blogsy »

Ok thanks guys. when i decelerate down through the gears, maybe coming up to a roundabout if there is nothing coming then I'll put my foot back on the gas and get the whitish smoke in my rear view mirror. I don't get it on start up hot or cold. it don't use any water just oil. Do you think this sounds like valve seals.
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

Valve stem seals usually you will find blue smoke on start up due to how the oil sits when stationary and angle of engine. Smoke tends to go away when engine is warmed up.
White smoke = water
Blue smoke = Oil

All engines use oil just depends on how much you are using in how many miles.
blogsy

Post by blogsy »

Using lots of oil no water. Its going to be the turbo oil seal or the valve oil seal. How do i tell which
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

as above. Valve stem seals you will get lots of blue smoke on start up until engine warm. Turbo seals you get smoke when you let off the gas and come to a stand still

But both will give you blue smoke not white
blogsy

Post by blogsy »

Yeah it is blue more than white now i look for it. and yes when i coast up to traffic lights etc with it in gear I'll sit there with a lot of smoke coming out the exhaust. So you'd say turbo rather than valve seals.
blogsy

Post by blogsy »

Yeah it is blue more than white now i look for it. and yes when i coast up to traffic lights etc with it in gear I'll sit there with a lot of smoke coming out the exhaust. So you'd say turbo rather than valve seals.
blogsy

Post by blogsy »

Am I right to think if there is oil in the intercooler pipes it is the turbo and if there is no oil in the intercooler pipes it's the valve seals thanks
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

I'd say its your turbo then. Been in same position 3 times myself so far :lol:
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

check for play in the shaft. a little side to side is ok, a lot not. no in out is fine, any is not good, lots it of course v-bad.
Take the intake off and have a feel of the shaft :wink:

Return to “Mechanical”