[Mk2] [NA] Air filter change

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Xavier R3V

[Mk2] [NA] Air filter change

Post by Xavier R3V »

Hi all.

Recently picked up a rev3 and am planning on doing a full service at home.
Are there any guides online to servicing the vehicle? I've googled and googled but not found much. Especially how best to change the air filter, what needs to be removed etc. Looking at the box it doesn't appear to have a straight forward remove clips and replace filter design.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Milo_101

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Air filter change

Post by Milo_101 »

It's a very straigtforward airbox like any other. There are some clips around it that you should remove and the top part can be pulled out.

It is highly recommended to remove the airbox & resonator and install a pod filter in it's place. That should free up some hp as the engine will breathe a bit easier, and as a bonus you'll hear the turbo spool much much louder.
Xavier R3V

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Air filter change

Post by Xavier R3V »

Thanks for that link it was pretty useful androo.

Milo mine is the NA T-bar. As such it is actually quite tricky to get at. With the rear struts in place there is very little room to move anything around and in the end it became clear that just unclipping the box would not provide sufficient space to remove the air filter. So I had to remove the resonator as well as loosen one of the jubilee clips and other hoses to lift it pass the strut bar in order to access the filter below.

Although from what I've heard about putting in a pod filter is that you're actually just sucking in a lot of hot air from the engine bay when Toyota went to considerable lengths to find a good working airflow system as it currently has?

Thanks all

Return to “Mechanical”